New HTPC w/ Cable card dual usb tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have built a Win7 media center pc which I am going to dedicate as a HTPC to run the LG 55LW5600 3D tv. I have a Hauppage usb cable card dual tuner also. I have yet to get a Blu-ray player or receiver. Just using an old reciever and DVD player I had for now.

I am just wondering if I had 2 shows recording at the same time and wanted to watch something else while recording with the two tuners on the hauppage if I could somehow use the tuner built into the tv to watch an ota program at the same time or would I need another tuner added to the PC to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Um, switch inputs to the OTA tuner on the TV?
post #3 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 AM

Liked: 11
1. Get an HD OTA antenna to connect to the 'cable' input on your TV, or

2. Use a splitter on your cable line: 1 feed to your cable card tuner, and 1 feed to your TV. You can get all your SD channels and your TV probably has a QAM tuner which should tune your local channels in HD; which I think the cable companies have to send 'Clear QAM'. These are usually the same channels you would receive OTA using an antenna.

Gary
post #4 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Well I thought it could be as simple as that but then thought that surely it is not! LOL I appreciate the input. I guess I will split the coax coming in to hit that internal tv tuner as well as the USB tuners. I dont suppose that there is any way to set that up so that the HTPC could record the OTA programs as well. I currently have no means of input to the pc for this coax cable. I am begining to think that recording that OTA signal may require another tuner card? Or is there another way to get the signal to the pc so that WMC could record it?

As far as the future receiver goes are there any specifics that I should be looking for in that equipment? I think that 3D pass through may be required for streaming content off the web if there is much 3D to be had. Otherwise I am thinking HDMI inputs are a must. I dont know much about Blu-ray players but wonder if I should b e thinking about a burner and just what if any features I should be considering in the receiver to accommodate the blu-ray? The blu-ray player itself I know little about at this point but I am thinking 3D. Any suggestions and pointers would be appreciated.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrazy View Post

Well I thought it could be as simple as that but then thought that surely it is not! LOL I appreciate the input. I guess I will split the coax coming in to hit that internal tv tuner as well as the USB tuners. I dont suppose that there is any way to set that up so that the HTPC could record the OTA programs as well. I currently have no means of input to the pc for this coax cable. I am begining to think that recording that OTA signal may require another tuner card? Or is there another way to get the signal to the pc so that WMC could record it?

To record or watch live TV on your HTPC, you require a tuner card. So to do this with OTA... you need an ATSC tuner card or external tuner.

Quote:

As far as the future receiver goes are there any specifics that I should be looking for in that equipment? I think that 3D pass through may be required for streaming content off the web if there is much 3D to be had. Otherwise I am thinking HDMI inputs are a must. I dont know much about Blu-ray players but wonder if I should b e thinking about a burner and just what if any features I should be considering in the receiver to accommodate the blu-ray? The blu-ray player itself I know little about at this point but I am thinking 3D. Any suggestions and pointers would be appreciated.

Unless your TV is 3D capable as well, I wouldn't worry about a receiver with 3D passthrough.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

The TV is 3D. That is why I am interested in that aspect as concerns my receiver choices. The tuner that I am talking about recording from is the one in the TV itself. How if possible can I record from this tuner output. The only output on the tv is Digital optical audio out. I do also have an ethernet connection and wireless conectevity to the network. Would Windows media center be able to see and record from the tv's builtin tuner if I ran an ethernet connection to my router? As you can tell I am not very familiar with Windows media center either.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 05:52 PM

Liked: 11
There is no way to record from your TV to your PC. The PC can only record from an internal or usb tuner. You can add a cheap (non-cable card) tuner to connect to an antenna to pickup and record OTA broadcasts.

On a new receiver, make sure it supports the HD audio found on Blurays: DTS-HD Master Audio, and Dolby TrueHD. Most new receivers do now.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

There was the promise a long time ago that we would be able to use the tuners built in to TVs to capture from. It was going to be a simple firewire cable that went from your TV (or cable box) to your computer... with no need for a tuner in the computer. Firewire encryption and the FCC laws were not strong enough to make this a reality. There are still people out there using firewire with cable boxes to change the channels for capturing though.

Now... there are HD capture cards that are like tuners, but don't have the ability to "tune" a station. They are dependent on an external tuner with a video output... like a Tivo, your cable company's DVR, or some other 3rd party tuning box.

But really, just get an ATSC tuner for your HTPC. It will make life easy, and you will have 3 tuners to record (or watch live tv) your broadcast stations.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I think that would be the best idea to just add another internal tuner. Those times when I had the TWC DVR box and had two recordings scheduled and suddenly found I had no tuner to watch another channel with I do not want to revisit.

I also need to address the issue of my other tv having access to the media center tv to watch the recorded content. I understand that XBox is the only extender currently unless you get one of the discontinued units on ebay. Any inputs on the pros and cons of either method would be appreciated as well as any thoughts of using another HTPC on the other tv which would be connected to the network and possibly share the hard drives. Is that possible and feasable? What exactly is it that the XBox allows the remote tv to see anyway? Is it just the recorded media on the HTPC or can the tv use the tuners to watch live tv and schedule recordings from that remote tv. Thanks again for the help.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-26-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcrazy View Post

I also need to address the issue of my other tv having access to the media center tv to watch the recorded content. I understand that XBox is the only extender currently unless you get one of the discontinued units on ebay. Any inputs on the pros and cons of either method would be appreciated as well as any thoughts of using another HTPC on the other tv which would be connected to the network and possibly share the hard drives. Is that possible and feasable? What exactly is it that the XBox allows the remote tv to see anyway? Is it just the recorded media on the HTPC or can the tv use the tuners to watch live tv and schedule recordings from that remote tv. Thanks again for the help.

Using a real media center extender will have the remote TV act just as if it were connected to the HTPC. The extender "extends" the HTPC experience to another television. You will have the same TV guide/recording definitions (season passes), the same access to live tv through the HTPC tuners, the same access to the recorded TV, the same access to your media libraries setup on the HTPC and more. The only downfalls to using an extender is that many plug-ins that work on a real HTPC will not work on the extender, and some media files will not play without transcoding.

If you put another HTPC on the remote TV then you will not have access to the same TV guide/recording definitions (season passes), nor will you have access to live tv unless you have a networked tuner or a tuner card in the remote HTPC. You will have access to the same recorded TV, the same access to your media libraries setup on the HTPC, and you will have access to all plug-ins possible on a HTPC (Netflix, ESPN3, Hulu, MSN TV, Boxee, and more).

So the trade off between extenders and a secondary HTPC is mainly that extenders do TV very very well, and a real secondary HTPC does everything else very very well.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 67
You can get cheap USB stick type ATSC tuners and add them to your HTPC. Windows MEdia center can be told which channels to record from cablecard tuner, and which channels from the ATSC tuner.

We have a Ceton InfiniTV 4 and 4x Magica USB tuners, and dedicated the USB tuners to unecrypted channels (same as OTA, but fed through fios) and ceton is deicated to encrypted channels.

Media center extenders will let you view, live, pause, recorded, or set recording TV content, and all of you music, video, pictures, and movies on other TV with just a remote control. It is literally like having a DVR or HTPC at each of the TV' except that you can't really go online with those.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #12 of 13 Old 01-28-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Is video upconversion something I want to have in a home theater receiver?
post #13 of 13 Old 01-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3140728AAodt0e

In my opinion that would be a "yes" . I think one of the questions you would need to ask your self is , how many different input types are you going to use on the avr ? Too me , I would want the feature either way in case I add some other input in the future.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page