Confused beginner - HDMI "passthrough" like Logitech Revue? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help appreciated. I promise I looked and I'm just overwhelmed and don't have weeks of free time to research this much. Recently, I tried a Logitech Revue thinking it would be a nice cheap solution because of the price drop. Unfortunately, for my use, it had some showstopper issues. But it also had a lot of things I liked.

I have an old laptop that I converted to a cheap HTPC. It is a consumer HP model so it has built in IR but it's LOUD and overheats and stutters while streaming HD Netflix.

I would like something quiet that plays Netflix, downloaded movies and MOG music player.
I would like a way to VIEW cable TV HD content through my HTPC so I have a somewhat unified interface like the Revue. I do not care about recording because I have a Time Warner DVR that works fine and I almost never record cable shows anyway. <--This is the part that I'm confused on. Is it possible? Can I view and control the cable channels through my PC?
I would probably use WMC7 or XBMC. Having tried both, I have no allegiance but would really like a consistent user experience.

This will NOT be used as a gaming rig. At the most, I might use it for a MAME emulator. Hardcore 3D games aren't important here.
I DO NOT care about recording the HD stream onto the HTPC.
I DO NOT need a multi-petabyte NAS storage system.
I don't need 7.1 audio. 5.1 would be more than enough. 2.1 would probably be fine. I live in a tall building and it's close quarters.

I already have speakers and Windows 7 Ultimate (with WMC7), BT keyboard and mouse. Additionally, I have a programmable WR7 Universal Remote but no IR receiver or blasters.

My budget is super tight. Probably about $300 with a *bit* of wiggle room. I'm not afraid to build if I can meet the above items. But, I was thinking about buying a Zotac or equivalent mini and using some sort of HDMI to USB pass through dongle but I don't know if this will give me what I'm looking for.

Again, I've done research I just don't have money to burn. Any advice is very much appreciated.
(wow this post became longer than I expected. Sorry about that)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is no way that I know of to pass hdmi into a pc and then out to a display.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized you need an external product. They have one:

But you're limited to a component input.