Simplest possible tool that will rename TV/Movie media file AND the folder it's in - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 01-29-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am looking for the simplest possible tool that will rename both the TV/Movie media file and folder it's in to be a completely friendly name. So, if there is a folder called "Horrible.bosses-2011.xvid.1080P" and there is a media file called "Horrible.bosses-2011.xvid.1080P.mkv", to rename both the folder and file to "Horrible Bosses (2011)" for the folder and "Horrible Bosses (2011).mkv" for the media file.

I have found a ton of utilities; but most of them only rename a media file name; not the folder it's in. I would like to simply double-click this rename application; and, it automatically/invisibly rename any media files (and directories they are in) in a pre-defined location/path.

I am looking for something that is as basic as possible; with the least amount of configuration/settings/options clutter.

I have a directory/file monitoring software which will execute this renaming software silently once a brand new media file is completely available (not locked/opened by another app).

I basically want a set-it-and-forget-it app that will execute silently when I double-click it (or when executed by an automated process).

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-29-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I believe media center master can do this. I personally don't use this feature of it but I know others do. Its not super simple like you are looking for but I think it can do what you want.

Where are you getting these files? Bitorrent or usenet.?

If usenet there is some great apps that will unrar, rename, transfer to proper folder/drive and delete the old rars.

PM me if you want some more info its against the rules for me to go into details.

I have a question for you. What provider do you use with DVB? I though that was overseas your location says Norcal.
post #3 of 37 Old 01-29-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for your reply. Media Center Master has way too much bloat for the simple function I need. I don't need it do download anything; except for IMDB names. I also don't need the utility to unrar anything. Just a simple renaming too that renames folders as well.

I use DVB-S2 tuners for Galaxy 19 (97.0W). Yes, that's right, I'm in North Cal.

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #4 of 37 Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I haven't tried this one myself but it may do the trick for you:

http://www.therenamer.com/index.html

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #5 of 37 Old 01-29-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks, I saw that as well when doing a google search. However, it's unclear if it will do it or not. I'm hoping someone here has personal experience with such a tool.

post #6 of 37 Old 01-29-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

Thanks, I saw that as well when doing a google search. However, it's unclear if it will do it or not. I'm hoping someone here has personal experience with such a tool.

Please report back with whatever solution you settle on.

FWIW, the above website has a support forum: http://www.therenamer.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

It appears to me that it does rename folders and movie files when you are in its "Movie Mode".

Brett

post #7 of 37 Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Now I know I need someone to help out. I spent over an hour playing with therenamer, only to find out it's not smart enough to know the difference between a movie and a TV show. I have to manually change between modes and drag and drop every time.

Maybe someone where will see this a know of a utility that's smart enough to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post

post #8 of 37 Old 01-29-2012, 05:24 PM

I've been using media scout for a while now. You set your movie an tv folders separately so it won't mix them up. It also renames the folder with the name and year and the video file with the name.
post #9 of 37 Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. Media Center Master has way too much bloat for the simple function I need. I don't need it do download anything; except for IMDB names. I also don't need the utility to unrar anything. Just a simple renaming too that renames folders as well.

I use DVB-S2 tuners for Galaxy 19 (97.0W). Yes, that's right, I'm in North Cal.

Idk if the perfect thing is out there for you. Thats why I recommend MCM. You don't have to have it do everything for you. Just what you want. But oh well please post here if you do find the perfect app.
post #10 of 37 Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 AM

Liked: 11
For some reason, when I attempt to download TheRenamer, I Microsoft SmartScreen tells me it's unsafe and the download is blocked. This is the first time I've ever seen this and I'm sure I can bypass this, but has anyone done a security/virus scan on TheRenamer?
post #11 of 37 Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I can confirm that Windows Explorer blocks downloads from this site. You can do a search on google for: thereanamer_setup.exe and download it from another file sharing site.

therenamer seems like a decent tool; but I can't use it since it's not as smart as other renaming tools that can autoamtically rename both TV and movies at the same time. I think it's ridiculous that people have to manually switch back and forth between TV and movie mode every time.

post #12 of 37 Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can confirm that Windows Explorer blocks downloads from this site. You can do a search on google for: thereanamer_setup.exe and download it from another file sharing site.

therenamer seems like a decent tool; but I can't use it since it's not as smart as other renaming tools that can autoamtically rename both TV and movies at the same time. I think it's ridiculous that people have to manually switch back and forth between TV and movie mode every time.

Do you know if you can run it via the command line, and pass in the path to scan and change the mode? So if you put your movies in one path, and tv shows in another, that would probably work well...

Brett

post #13 of 37 Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes, I thought about that. My TV shows and movies get saved to a common download area/folder. I can't separate them automatically either; due to a limitation I can't get into here on the forum. There are way too many rename tools for me to check each and every one of them them; which is why I posted here to see if someone uses a tool that can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post

Do you know if you can run it via the command line, and pass in the path to scan and change the mode? So if you put your movies in one path, and tv shows in another, that would probably work well...

post #14 of 37 Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

When you initiate the download you should be able to select tv or movie and have it go to a designated folder. If not you need a new client.
post #15 of 37 Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Huh? A new client for what? I don't use one software for everything I ever download. Plus, I prefer to keep anything I download or rip to one folder. I would rather have smarter renamer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

When you initiate the download you should be able to select tv or movie and have it go to a designated folder. If not you need a new client.

post #16 of 37 Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 AM

I use Ember Media Manager's Bulk renamer option for my movies. As for TV shows I used TheRenamer just to get the shows in a certain format so scrapers could read them correctly. Also, if you are looking for an automatic TV show organizer I would look in to SickBeard. It'll will watch a folder and when you download something it will rename it, move it, and download nfo, posters, and anything else you would like. I also believe there is one for movies called Couch Potato but I have not used that myself.

FWIW TheRenamer is a great program for TV shows, not so much for movies, or maybe that is because I live in Germany.
post #17 of 37 Old 01-30-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for your replies guys. Im just looking for a simple standalone tool that renames both TV and Movies in one folder. That's all. Once they're renamed. I decide whether to keep them or move them into my permanent collection of TV show recordings and Movies. My Media center software can already identify all these files without renaming them; downloading respective metadata and fanart. However, I thought it would be nice to see them with nicer names outside of my media center software while they are in a temporary download/rip folder.

Media Renamer is smart enough to handle both TV and Movies in one folder; however, unfortunately, it's commandline feature is very limited; and, not sure if they will update it.

I'm still looking through all the renaming apps out there to see if the ones than handle both TV and movies at the same time.

post #18 of 37 Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM

MKANET... I'm with you over at SageTV, and I found Media Center Master to be my go to program. Then BMT can scrape everything fine. I know it seems bloaty, but only use it for the renaming part and ignore the rest. Seriously, give it a shot, I think it will do everything you want. Good luck!
post #19 of 37 Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 AM

On OSX, there's a very handy program called Hazel that works as a "maid" (the creator's word, not mine) on your computer. I never like those kind of apps, but Hazel turned out to be incredibly powerful and useful. If you visit their forums, there are quite a few tutorials on various methods of managing media content (not all of it specific to the Hazel application), ranging from the legal stuff all the way to illegal. They have a few methods for automatically crawling TV database sites, understanding that there is a new episode available, searching a specific site (torrent or newsgroup index) for said episode, downloading it and moving it a specific folder, and using a TV database info to "intelligently" scrape the info and rename and sort the download. Basically ways to manually recreate what Sickbeard and Sabnzbd do. Very informative to read through it all if you use torrents/newsgroups (which I don't use, nor would anyone on this forum - I just like to know obscure boring nerd stuff like that). Anyway, try reading around that forum and you may find some interesting tips to help you on your quest. I ended up finding some useful links to HTPC automation websites, but I've since lost the links (that's why I'm not just giving them to you here).

And thanks to the people who mentioned Media Scout and Media Renamer. I'm on Win7 for my HTPC now, and all I had found was Renamer (which is supposedly quite respectable software, not a virus...perhaps their website or database gave google some indication that it had been hacked so they blacklisted it).
post #20 of 37 Old 02-04-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I already spent a good amount of time looking for a renamer. Unlike most people, I don't need a renamer or media organizer in order for me to see friendly names, respective fanart, metadata, etc since SageTV does all this already fully automatic (even identifies BD folder rips and ISOs). I just thought it would be nice to have the actual media files look nice in Windows Explorer.

The interesting thing is I couldn't find one light weight renamer that was even close to being smart enough for me to just throw a temporary music file, movie file, or TV file on my desktop or my temporary downloads folder; and for the media to be identified. I like to see all my temporary TV, Movie, Music files in one folder before I decide if I'm going to keep them or not. If I don't find an app that can do this, it's really no big deal. It would be nice to have though.

I tried to convince the guy who made the media identification engine "BMT" for sageTV if he would make a standalone renamer. I'm hoping me may extend this technology to outside the world of sageTV.

post #21 of 37 Old 02-04-2012, 06:25 PM

How consistent are your names? Is the directory always the exact same as the file, just without the extension? Does it always replace spaces with dots in the title, add a dash and the year, then extra stuff until the extension?

I ask because I've done a significant amount of text processing / data munging. Most of those fancy tools are trying to do a lot more for you. They're trying to identify the show from the file name and then let you specify the name from other meta-data it scrapes off sites on the internet. For example, if your file name didn't include the year, but it could still tell what movie it was, it could add the year in for you. Same with season/episode numbers and episode titles. If it can determine part of it, it can pull the rest.

Basically, if you can tell me a pattern, I can write something to match it and process it. Perl is my native munging tongue, but that's less likely to be on your system. I've been meaning to learn some PowerShell, which should come with Windows 7 these days.

If there isn't any consistent pattern, then I probably can't help so much. It would take more time than I can invest. Maybe if you can use another tool to rename the files, I could pretty easily just rename the directory to match the file.
post #22 of 37 Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
YAMMM can rename the folders to the IMDB names, and will place poster jpegs in the folders for you.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #23 of 37 Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I was finally able to convince the creator of SageTV's media identification engine to extend this technology to outside sageTV. It's by far the "smartest" lightweight renamer on the planet.

I can place a bunch of media files in my temp/download/desktop folders ... and it renames everything in there regardless if they are TV or movies. It can even handle ripped BD folder structures from AnyDVD-HD! All you need is a good Directory monitoring tool such as WatchDirectory to kick it off when you save any type of media file or rip a BD/DVD folder structure. All the renamers Ive tried aren't anywhere near as smart (actually need me to say if the media file is TV or movie) and/or they are completely bloated with other features not related to renaming media files.

Phoenix Renamer Released

This utility will work under Windows, Mac, and Linux!

post #24 of 37 Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 AM

I have been pretty happy with YAMM(yet another media manager) for the past 2 years or so. The one quirk is you must name the folder exactly the same as the movie title appears on IMBD for it to reconize it. From there it renames it according to your settings, like, the, green hornet (2011) from the original folder name, the green hortnet.
It also renames the mkv file inside with the same structure, downloads the cover art and creates the.xml file needed, all automagically as a service running in the background.
post #25 of 37 Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Phoenix renamer doesn't care what the folder or media file is called as long as one of them is somewhat close to the name of the movie or TV show.. it will rename both the folder and the media file to a friendly name. I don't have to tell it anything.

It's the only 100% fully automatic renamer where I can put any TV or movie file anywhere on my file system and it renames it automatically (so long as you have a directory monitoring tool like WatchDirectory to detect when you save a file anywhere). You're not restricted to saving a file in a special location. It can even handle sample files.

post #26 of 37 Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
You might try this guide to do what you need:

http://lifehacker.com/5595586/set-up...g-media-center
post #27 of 37 Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
And maybe in combination with this:

http://www.dailycupoftech.com/2008/0...rmover-script/
post #28 of 37 Old 02-15-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I know, it's a bit hard to comprehend and appreciate the power of the Phoenix Renamer until someone actually understands what this tool does that no other renamers can do. Although, I don't touch garbage torrent files, the Phoenix Renamer can easily handle those too.

post #29 of 37 Old 07-08-2012, 01:11 AM

Liked: 11
Best and easiest tool has to be FileBot => http://filebot.sourceforge.net

It's open-source, cross-platform and super easy and intuitive to use. It's got a great cmdline and scripting features as well.

Check out the forums on how to set up complete automation with utorrent:
http://filebot.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5#p802
post #30 of 37 Old 07-08-2012, 07:18 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post

This is what I use. Renames all my shows and movies properly, adds the year, and puts them in a folder. Simple and easy to use, I've even got it paired with a couple other programs so that when a movie or tv show is finished downloading it automatically extracts, renames, and moves the file to the right location.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page