Remotely Stream Live TV over Internet (similar to Slingbox)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have spent a good amount of time searching for a way to remotely stream live TV over the internet, but really haven't found an elegant solution. Basically I'd like to create a Slingbox type solution using a PC, tv tuner/capture card, and some software.

So here's my ideal scenario.

Remote Location:
PC with an HD-PVR type capture card that is connected to an HD Cable box and is capable of doing channel changing. The backend PVR software runs on this machine and transcodes all recordings and live TV to an acceptable bandwidth to be sent over the internet.

Local:
PC runs frontend to PVR software that would ideally have a nice interface to view a program guide for Live TV and scheduling of recordings. Any time a new program is selected from the guide, the remote PC changes the channel by means of an IR blaster and begins transcoding the new channel. Obviously there will be some latency, but I'm OK with that.

It seems VLC has some rather powerful transcoding / remote streaming capabilities, but this would be far from an elegant solution. Wouldn't have the nice program guide, channel changing, or DVR capabilities.

Is anything like this possible with XBMC, MythTV, MediaPortal, GB-PVR, etc.? I appreciate the suggestions. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 03:55 PM

Have you looked at DVBLogic's Colnnect! Server? It provides remote access to your tuners, as long as it's supported. Check out the DVBLogic forums.

Ray
===Ghostlobster===
post #3 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Checkout Orb, its a free software that allows you to stream livt tv, and recorded media over the internet.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

DIY Speaker Cables
http://www.seancoyne.org

post #4 of 17 Old 01-29-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post

Have you looked at DVBLogic's Colnnect! Server? It provides remote access to your tuners, as long as it's supported. Check out the DVBLogic forums.

This does look somewhat promising, though they really only seem to mention remote access to mobile devices. But perhaps the MCE and Boxee clients can work remotely as well and not just on a LAN. Not sure how flexible the transcoding/quality settings are though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoyne88 View Post

Checkout Orb, its a free software that allows you to stream livt tv, and recorded media over the internet.

Yeah I've heard of Orb. Though I'm not entirely in love with the idea of using a web-browser to watch the streamed content and not have it integrated nicely in some media center type software. Also you have to sign up for their service.

I like the idea of having full control of the transcoding settings as well, so some sort of solution that uses VLC and x264 is intriguing.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post

Spent some time on the DVBLogic forums and apparently the only clients that support remote streaming of content are the mobile apps. I want to set up a remote HTPC, and their Boxee client does not request transcoding of the stream, only a raw uncompressed transport stream. So this would obviously not work for anything but a LAN.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 AM

check out Telly/TellyServer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me2ttPiZSWY

Similar to Orb and I believe it's more good looking.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by netant View Post

check out Telly/TellyServer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me2ttPiZSWY

Similar to Orb and I believe it's more good looking.

Looks nice, but again I'm not looking to stream to a mobile device. I want to setup a server/backend PC connected to a cable box at home and have it stream remotely to an HTPC connected to an HDTV in another home or relative's home.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hmm....thinking out of the box. Setup a VPN between the two and use an Extender?
post #9 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

Hmm....thinking out of the box. Setup a VPN between the two and use an Extender?

This would help if the software/devices require all clients to be on the same LAN. A VPN would be a work-around. However, you'd still need the system to transcode the stream in order to get under the limited bandwidth available if doing this remotely.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 PM

If your using WMC, Remote Potato works nicely.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 PM

Doesn't MythTV do this right out of the "box"?

Bob

HTPC - Built with Assassin Guides

Intel G620 - GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3  - Samsung 830 SSD

Win 7 SP1 32b - G.Skill 4GB - SilverStone Grandia GD04B - Seasonic SS-460FL2 Fanless PSU

post #12 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBobS View Post

Doesn't MythTV do this right out of the "box"?

Apparently there is something called MythWeb that allows you to stream your recorded content using Flash Video, but it only streams recorded content and not Live TV. It also has the limitation of using Flash and being down using a web interface.

I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get a Slingbox and either watch it on Slingbox.com (less than ideal since I would have to use a browser which wouldn't integrate into nice media center software like XBMC) or get a Boxee Box which now has a nice dedicated SlingPlayer app.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Liked: 11
SageTV did this quite well with Placeshifter, but since they've been swallowed up by google, they're not an option for new solutions.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

Apparently there is something called MythWeb that allows you to stream your recorded content using Flash Video, but it only streams recorded content and not Live TV. It also has the limitation of using Flash and being down using a web interface.

I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get a Slingbox and either watch it on Slingbox.com (less than ideal since I would have to use a browser which wouldn't integrate into nice media center software like XBMC) or get a Boxee Box which now has a nice dedicated SlingPlayer app.

I was talking about MythTv though. http://www.mythtv.org/detail/mythtv You have a backend where the tuner card is located and a frontend where you watch live or recorded TV.

Bob

Win 7 SP1 32b - G.Skill 4GB - SilverStone Grandia GD04B - Seasonic SS-460FL2 Fanless PSU

post #15 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBobS View Post

I was talking about MythTv though. http://www.mythtv.org/detail/mythtv You have a backend where the tuner card is located and a frontend where you watch live or recorded TV.

Yeah, and MythWeb is an add-on to MythTV. Although MythTV separates frontend and backend, it would still need to handle transcoding and streaming over the internet, something it does not do. Separation of backend and frontend allows you to run multiple clients on the same LAN, but not over the Internet.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

Yeah, and MythWeb is an add-on to MythTV. Although MythTV separates frontend and backend, it would still need to handle transcoding and streaming over the internet, something it does not do. Separation of backend and frontend allows you to run multiple clients on the same LAN, but not over the Internet.

Ah. That's the piece I didn't have in my head. I was thinking LAN even though you said internet.

Bob

post #17 of 17 Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 AM

Telly looks like it would be PERFECT for me, IF it was available for Android. I haven't been able to find anything to date which looks this smooth, especially that also supports QAM. Here's hoping the Telly people will consider writing an Android client.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page