Intel Graphics Card - Video Signal Drops Intermittently - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Intel Graphics Card - Video Signal Drops Intermittently
crux19's Avatar crux19 09:52 PM 01-29-2012
Hello,
I have been troubleshooting an issue for months and it seems to reside with display card. I have output the details in the attached file directly from the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel.

My setup:
Cable - Uverse box > Denon AVR2112CI > Samsung LNT40461
HTPC - Dell 580s > Denon AVR2112CI > Samsung LNT40461

All cables are short, 3 ft HDMI cables (Monoprice) connecting the components above.

I can watch movies for five to 45 minutes before the video signal drops and the TV displays a "Weak or No Signal" while sound still plays out of my receiver.

I had the HDMI board replaced in my receiver but the issue remains.

Here are some other things I have done to troubleshoot:
  • Ensured the receiver had the latest firmware. Had to upgrade again anyway after the HDMI board was replaced two weeks ago
  • Tested computer component heat with speedfan and other utilities - no concerns
  • Made sure video drivers were up to date. Uninstalled device on HTPC, reinstalled and updated again, just in case.
  • Tried different HDMI cables (lengths and brands)
  • Tried different HDMI inputs through both the receiver and the TV
  • Ensured Anynet+ (HDMI CEC) was "Off" on Samsung
  • Updated firmware on TV
  • Updated BIOS on HTPC
  • I'll add other items as I remember them...

I have read about HDMI Detective and also know I could replace my card with a Nvidia card as there were similar reported issues that have been resolved. I hope to fix this without making additional purchases. Your assistance with solving this year long issue is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks again!

display.txt 2.0546875k . file
Attached: display.txt (2.1 KB) 

crux19's Avatar crux19 06:48 PM 01-31-2012
So a little more research and it looks like I have the following options. Any guidance on what angle to attack first would be appreciated.

1. Buy a longer HDMI cable. This could solve HDCP issues. I'm not clear if I officially have HDCP issues. Any way for me to confirm through logs? If it's an HDCP issue I could go with a 15' cable instead of my current 6' cable. It seems like most that have the HDCP issue find it while watching TV through Media Center. Not sure if it matters but I don't have a TV Tuner card. I just watch movies.

2. Buy HDMI Detective. Maybe it can magically fix my issue. It's expensive so I hope I can avoid this cost.

3. Buy a new card. Again, expensive.

Other options I have read about are using HDMI On or HDMI Yo, changing EDID info, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts as I'm close to my brain capacity on this one.
assassin's Avatar assassin 06:53 PM 01-31-2012
Graphics cards are $15-$45. Not that expensive.
crux19's Avatar crux19 08:48 PM 01-31-2012
Thanks for the response. So if if the path of least resistance is to get a new graphics card then I'm in. I noticed in a different post that someone was flirting with either the HD 5570 or the nVidia GT 430. That post is a little older so maybe something else came out that will fit in the 580s (slim) that does not require additional power.

Any other recommendations for what would work?

Thanks much and I welcome all other suggestions. I'll throw a few bucks at this to make repeater issues with Intel HD Graphics card go away.
crux19's Avatar crux19 03:11 PM 02-01-2012
I spoke to Intel and they said they strongly recommend all HDMI connections go directly to the display and not through a repeater/receiver. I take that to mean I should buy another small form factor card.

That said, is it safe to assume that another card would be better at handling the pass through my Denon 2112CI receiver? All recommendations on a small form factor card (that will fit in the Dell 580s) that does not require additional power (other than from the mobo) are greatly appreciated.

If all cards will have this issue then I will go the HDMI Detective route.

Thanks again!
assassin's Avatar assassin 03:20 PM 02-01-2012
I run my Intel i3 2100 HDMI into my Denon AVR with no issues.

I don't think anyone can guarantee you with high certainty that you will or won't have issues on any specific setup. That's one of the nuances of HTPC.
crux19's Avatar crux19 04:07 PM 02-01-2012
Thanks. Someone mind providing a more informed opinion that mine?

List of options (think I filtered results correctly) and specifically thinking about the GeForce GT 430.

Will that work with my Dell 580s as far as power consumption and other factors go?

Thanks much for the help!
babgvant's Avatar babgvant 05:11 PM 02-01-2012
Given the problem, I'm inclined to think the problem is with the AVR. If the GPU was crapping out you'd lose audio too.
walford's Avatar walford 05:50 PM 02-01-2012
Hasve you tried a test with the Denon bypassed?
What resolution are you sending the movies to the TV via the Denon with?
What is the source of the movies?
When the video drops is it during a high motion scenes in the movies?
crux19's Avatar crux19 06:10 AM 02-02-2012
Thank you for helping me troubleshoot additionally. Really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
Given the problem, I'm inclined to think the problem is with the AVR. If the GPU was crapping out you'd lose audio too.
Thanks babgvant. I tried everything I could to troubleshoot the AVR including replacing the HDMI board. I have the exact setup coming from my cable box (cable box > Denon > TV) with no issues which points me to the HTPC and video card. I'm all ears if there is something else I can do to troubleshoot with the AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post
Hasve you tried a test with the Denon bypassed?
What resolution are you sending the movies to the TV via the Denon with?
What is the source of the movies?
When the video drops is it during a high motion scenes in the movies?
Yes. I have tried to bypass the Denon and all seems to work fine. I chalk this up more to the reported Intel HD Graphics repeater issues and less the AVR itself. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I should go straight to the TV from the HTPC for video and figure out something else to get quality audio through the AVR. My only other option for audio is component which would give me lower quality audio.

The display setting is 1920x1080 to the TV. I specifically run days worth of testing. I thought my issues could be based on file type/format but can't draw any solid conclusions. I have attached the analysis of four files where I have encountered this video drop but at times can get all the way through the video without issues. Other times it will drop two to three times. I have a varying list of mkv, mp4, and quite a few avi with different encoding. I use Sharky007 codec pack and wrote the creator as I thought it could be a codec issue. He confidently confirmed that there is no way this could be caused by the codec pack. My level of understanding is limited so I obviously take his word for it.

I play my movies through Media Browser in Media Player (Windows 7).

It doesn't seem to drop during high motion scenes. Many of the drops are in more mild (less action packed) films.

Please let me know if I can offer more info. Really appreciate the assistance.

issues.zip 3.54296875k . file
Attached: issues.zip (3.5 KB) 
babgvant's Avatar babgvant 06:59 AM 02-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by crux19 View Post

Yes. I have tried to bypass the Denon and all seems to work fine. I chalk this up more to the reported Intel HD Graphics repeater issues and less the AVR itself. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I should go straight to the TV from the HTPC for video and figure out something else to get quality audio through the AVR. My only other option for audio is component which would give me lower quality audio.

AFAIK Intel resolved the repeater issues a long time ago. I've been using Intel GPUs w/ my Denon for a couple/three years and I don't have any issues of this sort (I do have to use longer cables, but that's not just an Intel issue).

If your board has a DVI output you can get a DVI->HDMI adapter (or cable) to run video direct to the TV and use the HDMI output to the AVR.
assassin's Avatar assassin 07:08 AM 02-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

AFAIK Intel resolved the repeater issues a long time ago. I've been using Intel GPUs w/ my Denon for a couple/three years and I don't have any issues of this sort (I do have to use longer cables, but that's not just an Intel issue).

+1

I also have a buddy that has a high end Denon and he has no issues as well.
crux19's Avatar crux19 10:06 AM 02-02-2012
Thanks again to you both. Unfortunately my current card only does VGA/HDMI and component out. No DVI, no second HDMI. I would have to go with VGA for lower video quality if I pushed sound through the receiver via HDMI.

So it seems I need to get a new card and make sure it has the ability to do HDMI for sound and HDMI or DVI for video just in case I have the same issue pushing one HDMI cable through my receiver from the HTPC.

The only other thing I can do is replace my current 6' HDMI cable with a 15' cable from my HTPC to my receiver. Just seems odd since I use the exact cable length and brand from my cable box through my receiver with no issues.

If the recommendation is to go with a new display card I would be grateful for any guidance on my previous post with the link to NewEgg.

Thank you
walford's Avatar walford 10:44 AM 02-02-2012
Are you unable to output 1080p/60 via VGA?
I think your 6' foot cable is fine.
crux19's Avatar crux19 12:22 PM 02-02-2012
Thank you. I shouldn't have so quickly assumed that VGA (being analog) would not pass 1080p. I see some debate and it seems HDMI is preferred for video but many say that VGA can be just as good visually. I'll give VGA a go and check it out.

That said, is it best to go straight to the TV with VGA or run it through the receiver since the receiver is four years newer? Didn't know if the analog to digital would be better managed at the AVR (and then passed to the TV via HDMI) instead converting at the 2007 TV.
walford's Avatar walford 01:58 PM 02-02-2012
Let the TV do the conversion.
crux19's Avatar crux19 04:55 PM 02-02-2012
Thanks. I'm having trouble getting anything above 1024 x 768 resolution with VGA. I disconnected HDMI from the receiver to the TV and now going straight from the PC to the TV via VGA.

Display drivers are updated and max resolution I can get is 1024 x 768. Do I need a fancier VGA cable?

When configuring display Windows still sees the Digital TV option (where I used to have HDMI fed) but I simply selected to show only Display 2 (my VGA connection). Again, this works and I see my desktop on the display via VGA but the resolution is extremely low.

Thanks again.
walford's Avatar walford 06:08 PM 02-02-2012
I was afraid the you might not be able to send 108u0p or that your 2007 model TV might not accept 1080p over VGA.
crux19's Avatar crux19 08:07 PM 02-02-2012
Seems so. Just confirmed it by trying to hook my laptop up to the TV via VGA. I could crank the resolution up on the laptop (couldn't on my HTPC) but when I hit "Apply" my TV dropped the video.

Last resort is another video card? Suggestions on a card greatly appreciated.
assassin's Avatar assassin 08:15 PM 02-02-2012
NVidia 430 is a very popular card.

I have one and it works well for HTPC.

About $40 or so.
crux19's Avatar crux19 08:40 PM 02-02-2012
Thank you. Looks like I can find it for $65 (unless I'm missing something). Not sure if it costs a bit more for the low profile setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1xq3vtqc97iru

I think it should fit and think that power should be ok but could always use a second set of eyes.

Thanks!
assassin's Avatar assassin 08:43 PM 02-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by crux19 View Post

Thank you. Looks like I can find it for $65 (unless I'm missing something). Not sure if it costs a bit more for the low profile setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1xq3vtqc97iru

I think it should fit and think that power should be ok but could always use a second set of eyes.

Thanks!

That card is $45 after rebate.
assassin's Avatar assassin 08:47 PM 02-02-2012
If you are looking for low profile any of these should work well.
Up
Mobile  Desktop