NEW HTPC blue Screen of death Need Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys need help on my HTPC I just build I'm getting a blue screen of death calling it a memory dump.......the full screen of info does not stay up long enough for me to get any more info than that.

The system is my first intel build loosely going off Assassin sticky. I'm sure it's just something stupid I'm doing to mess up this great system.

I have the Asrock Z68M 1155 ITX
Intell I5 2405 S 65watt chip
Corsair 1600 DDR3 PC3 12800 trimming 99924/1.5v
Samsung SSD 128 Sata II

Blue screen of death usually occurs as I exit Explorer or as I am on the internet.

MSE explorer to Monzilla Foxfire, and I have always had Norton Virus protection. Still get the blue screen and the memory dump maybe 2 to 3 time a day. I have reseated the corsair and still have the problem........I really do suspect the mem but don't know enough to change trimmings or under volt it for a test.........

Hope you guys can help because I'm running out of Ideas.

Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by checklst View Post

Hey guys need help on my HTPC I just build I'm getting a blue screen of death calling it a memory dump.......the full screen of info does not stay up long enough for me to get any more info than that.

The system is my first intel build loosely going off Assassin sticky. I'm sure it's just something stupid I'm doing to mess up this great system.

I have the Asrock Z68M 1155 ITX
Intell I5 2405 S 65watt chip
Corsair 1600 DDR3 PC3 12800 trimming 99924/1.5v
Samsung SSD 128 Sata II

Blue screen of death usually occurs as I exit Explorer or as I am on the internet.

MSE explorer to Monzilla Foxfire, and I have always had Norton Virus protection. Still get the blue screen and the memory dump maybe 2 to 3 time a day. I have reseated the corsair and still have the problem........I really do suspect the mem but don't know enough to change trimmings or under volt it for a test.........

Hope you guys can help because I'm running out of Ideas.

Thanks in Advance

I have x64 Intel driver in my FAQ that usually fixes this issue. Try that.

Once it is all working DO NOT let Windows update your display drivers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Assassin I found it (FAQ)and just loaded it and turned off updates.....Got my fingers crossed.

I just build my daughter(in college) your I3 mini ITX machine this weekend and I am vary vary impressed how that little I3 chip worked..........I know you have said it a million times(to others) that the I3 is a great duel core workhorse.........you made me a believer........it ripped my BD in 37min.....faster that my Sandy 4 core and the I3 took 4hours and 45 min to encode a (8GB MKV).....just 45min slower than my 2405 Sandy 4 core..........man that little chip can really lift weight.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Assassin I found it (FAQ)and just loaded it and turned off updates.....Got my fingers crossed.

I just build my daughter(in college) your I3 mini ITX machine this weekend and I am vary vary impressed how that little I3 chip worked..........I know you have said it a million times(to others) that the I3 is a great duel core workhorse.........you made me a believer........it ripped my BD in 37min.....faster that my Sandy 4 core and the I3 took 4hours and 45 min to encode a (8GB MKV).....just 45min slower than my 2405 Sandy 4 core..........man that little chip can really lift weight.

Awesome man. Glad I could help!

post #5 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Opps Need more help Blue screen of death is Back...................Installing the older version of the video drivers helped but still getting Blue screen. The Blue screen is only up a second or 2 and all I can read is Memory Dump.

The next strange thing is after a disk wipe....SSD I reinstall win 7 64Bit and the install fails at 30% ......it take sometimes 4 install tries to get past 30%....I have tried 2 different win 64 disks and the same thing win 7 reports at 30% a file is missing and it shuts down install.

After I get it to install and go past 30% win 7 will not do an auto update.......this is before MB software install. It forces me to install all(56) updates one at a time.

NOT sure where to start on this system(Hardware or Software)..........The only problem I have had with windows several years ago like this it turned out to be a bad CD/Rom drive, the drive was not doing its job.... new drive windows installed proper and worked fine.......hummmmmmmm

Its only a few more grey hairs....LOL.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
download and burn a bootable cd of memtest and let it check your ram over night. If no errors then I would lean towards the hard drive having problems. check with manufacturer to see if they have diagnostic tools.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That was my first thought as well. Sounds like a shot SSD.

post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 04:42 PM

do the following,

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-7.htm

this will allow you to retrieve the stop error code, before it reboots, then either post the stop code here, or search the stop error code via google.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraslor View Post

download and burn a bootable cd of memtest and let it check your ram over night. If no errors then I would lean towards the hard drive having problems. check with manufacturer to see if they have diagnostic tools.

Thanks to all I first ran win7 mem test in said "hardware problems were detected" no detail was given other than the hardware problem

I then booted memtest 4.20v usb........ as it starts the test screen was half red and it ran several test and the failures were to many to keep up with....... it came up with over 205,000 failures.

So I'm guessing my ram needs a hospital, the DDR3 1600 is having trouble for sure......... should start thinking about replacement? New territory for me.

Thanks to all
post #10 of 17 Old 02-11-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks to all I first ran win7 mem test in said "hardware problems were detected" no detail was given other than the hardware problem

I then booted memtest 4.20v usb........ as it starts the test screen was half red and it ran several test and the failures were to many to keep up with....... it came up with over 205,000 failures.

So I'm guessing my ram needs a hospital, the DDR3 1600 is having trouble for sure......... should start thinking about replacement? New territory for me.

Thanks to all

I kinda figured that with what you described. Do you have more than 1 stick of ram in there? Take one out run memtest again to narrow it down to which stick is bad. If only 1 stick buy a new stick of ram and you should be good to go.

Glad I could get you pointed in the right direction feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any questions.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Wreslor.......New Memory passed the memtest with flying colors....not a single error .....getting ready for a SSD wipe and do a fresh install of win7 64 bit.

Thanks to all
post #12 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraslor View Post

This was my first thought.

Confirm your ram is not defective before chasing drivers or software.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #13 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Wreslor.......New Memory passed the memtest with flying colors....not a single error .....getting ready for a SSD wipe and do a fresh install of win7 64 bit.

Thanks to all

Nice.

That is the correct path.

first memory. Then redo your OS. I had same issue with my new build and a redo of the install fixed it all.

Try installing all the CD drivers that came with your hardware.. then start the long process of windows updates.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #14 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Nice.

That is the correct path.

first memory. Then redo your OS. I had same issue with my new build and a redo of the install fixed it all.

Try installing all the CD drivers that came with your hardware.. then start the long process of windows updates.

Thanks again........the 49 win7 updates installed "auto" in less than 10 min....it took me over 2 hours one by one with the bad mem......sheeesh you would think I would learn and ask you guys a little sooner....I have around 10 hours trying to fix this on my own........Thanks again!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks again........the 49 win7 updates installed "auto" in less than 10 min....it took me over 2 hours one by one with the bad mem......sheeesh you would think I would learn and ask you guys a little sooner....I have around 10 hours trying to fix this on my own........Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Holy crap. Glad you got it going.

post #16 of 17 Old 02-12-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

glad your set.

-

post #17 of 17 Old 02-13-2012, 01:04 PM

Glad everything working. The bright side of all this is since you did put so many hours into trying to figure it out, you'll learn from it. We've all been there and spent countless hours tinkering with things and when you actually try to figure it out you'll know the signs in the future if you encounter it again.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page