AVerTVHD Duet is unable to pick up cable channels. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am kinda new to the forum, but this is probalbly the place where I can get my problem solve or suggestion to solve my problem.

So I recently purchased AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner (A188 - White Box) - OEM from amazon to watch Live TV in my dorm room.

First of all, I am currently living in dorm room at university of houston, they offer like 60 channels cable TV from AT&T if i am correct. I put the tuner in my gaming computer with Phenom II X6 with 8 GB of ram and 650watts psu. Installed the driver with no problem. So my computer is capable of handling recording with no problem, but that isn't the case. Then obviously I hook it up with the cable to the wall and to my TV tuner. I tried with WMC and the program only pick up 3 Digital providers and like the program only about to found 24 local OTA channels and not all of them are available for me to watch. All three of the providers above have like 500 channels each.

Second try with SageTV this time is little bit different, this time I searched for providers, there is my University channel line up which have roughly 60 channels which is right if you are going to hook it up to regular TV. But the program still unable to found the channels and I can't watch cable channels on it. I can still watch local channels but not other cable channels.

I feel like I am missing something here. So if anyone have any suggestion please lets me know. I am going to be regular on here to check my post. And i will post a reply asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Your local digital channels on cable are unencrypted which is why you get only them and do not get the encrypted channels.
Your university channel apprently has all analog channels which they do not encrypt
post #3 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Your local digital channels on cable are unencrypted which is why you get only them and do not get the encrypted channels.
Your university channel apprently has all analog channels which they do not encrypt

Base on what you are saying my tuner doesn't pick analog channels so I can't watch other cable channel? Any solution to this?
post #4 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanstorm View Post

Base on what you are saying my tuner doesn't pick analog channels so I can't watch other cable channel? Any solution to this?

Its basically for Over the Air digital TV, basically any digital TV you can pick up on an antenna.

Unfortunately the solution isn't cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Ceton-InfiniTV...044793&sr=8-27

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HD.../ref=pd_cp_e_2
post #5 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Its basically for Over the Air digital TV, basically any digital TV you can pick up on an antenna.

Unfortunately the solution isn't cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Ceton-InfiniTV...044793&sr=8-27

http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HD.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

Wait do other people need to rent a cable box? If not then cablecard is not the answer. Maybe its NTSC?
post #6 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Wait do other people need to rent a cable box? If not then cablecard is not the answer. Maybe its NTSC?

Possible but I think the tuners in the avermedia duet are basically the same as whats in your TV.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Possible but I think the tuners in the avermedia duet are basically the same as whats in your TV.

New tv's don't have NTSC tuners. The duet does ATSC and QAM. I would assume his service is QAM but its seems it may not be. Or maybe the setup isn't done properly.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

New tv's don't have NTSC tuners. The duet does ATSC and QAM. I would assume his service is QAM but its seems it may not be. Or maybe the setup isn't done properly.

Well at this point, I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Another thing is that they said they have basic Cable television but like on a regular TV there are 2 DirectTV channel that stream music 24/7. I am going to return the Tuner and try to get a analog with digital of course to see if there is any different.

Another mind bothering is that one of the guy on my floor uses a Old school TV that like big and bulky one and he is able to watch movie on it. I am going to lean toward the school is still using analog.
Do i need like encoder or something?
post #9 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanstorm View Post

Well at this point, I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Another thing is that they said they have basic Cable television but like on a regular TV there are 2 DirectTV channel that stream music 24/7. I am going to return the Tuner and try to get a analog with digital of course to see if there is any different.

Another mind bothering is that one of the guy on my floor uses a Old school TV that like big and bulky one and he is able to watch movie on it. I am going to lean toward the school is still using analog.
Do i need like encoder or something?

Yah if his old tv is picking it up then sounds to me like its using analog. You need to get a tuner that can do ntsc. You should get a second opinion. I''m 99% sure I'm right but hopefully someone else will chime in.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Some thoughts
1. NTSC is analog not digital.
2. AFAIK all new TVs have analog tuners they just don't advertise it. If they didn't buyers could no use their VCRs, camers, or other devices that output NTSC analog content.
3. Not all analog locaL broadscasters were required to convert to digital. Many low powered stations with a limited coverage area were permited to continue to broadcast in analog.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Some thoughts
1. NTSC is analog not digital.
2. AFAIK all new TVs have analog tuners they just don't advertise it. If they didn't buyers could no use their VCRs, camers, or other devices that output NTSC analog content.
3. Not all analog locaL broadscasters were required to convert to digital. Many low powered stations with a limited coverage area were permited to continue to broadcast in analog.

1. I agree.
2. I don't think the fact that a tv can accept a signal over composite video means it has a NTSC tuner. Also it sounds like the op wants to hook it up to a pc to be able to record and what not. He may even be using it with a monitor.
3. I agree.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 67
AVER Media makes a hybrid tuner that has ATSC and NTSC tuners in one.

First, you need to find out what kind of signal is in the wire.

If the service is from AT&T, which I think only does U-Verse, then it is IPTV and SOL, since there is nothing at this point that can do IPTV. Microsoft hinted that the new XBOX may be able to work with IPTV.

What you have picked up may have been the OTA channels that were picked up by the wire, as if it were an antenna.

Most commercial cable companies do local broadcast channels, the ones you can pick up with an antenna over QAM, and the encrypt everything else. Some offer analog channels, still, but it is not going to last forever.

The only tuner that I can think of, that can do NTSC, ATSC, QAM, and Encrypted Cable is ATI Digital Cable Tuner.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #13 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
The OP never answered if he has to use a box to watch anything on the TV.

post #14 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

At this point, i am going to go toward that my university cable is analog. And does anyone have any good suggestion on which Tuner I should get that have at least ClearQAM and Analog as the same time? price range could be from lowest to roughtly 80
post #15 of 16 Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hauppauge 2250 does NTSC, ATSC & ClearQAM... it's available as a separate and a MCE kit with a remote.

AT&T's Uverse is IPTV and no tuner aside from their own boxes can tune it!
post #16 of 16 Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

Hauppauge 2250 does NTSC, ATSC & ClearQAM... it's available as a separate and a MCE kit with a remote.

AT&T's Uverse is IPTV and no tuner aside from their own boxes can tune it!

I don't think the school cable service is AT&T. So I decided to go with AVerMedia Avertv Combo G2. It has all 3 type of tuner. And work with Wins 7.

Thank for helps guy!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page