*Official* PowerDVD 12 Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 265 Old 05-06-2012, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have the Powerdvd 12 trial version installed on my under powered laptop as I prepare to build a HTPC. I also have TMT 5 installed and am comparing the two to see which I want to purchase. Please let me know about the following issues I am currently having with the PowerDVD 12 trial version:

1) The subtitle option is grayed out so I am not sure how this functions. Are subtitles defaulted to "on" or "off"? Can you choose to default them on or off? This request is specifically for mkv files. Furthermore, does PowerDVD 12 properly recognize MKV forced subtitle flags?

2) LPCM HD multi channel sound - I get no sound when trying to play a mkv file with this type of sound. Will the full version properly play this (via bitstream)? I saw this on their forum: "[004] [2012-02-05] [RD will fix] LPCM Bitstream fail for multi channel output" - so I assume it is currently broken and not able to play LPCM from mkv?

3) Can PowerDVD 12 playback 3D MVC files in MKV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 265 Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

Is there any way to set the default aspect ratio in PowerDVD 12 or 11 so that I'm not getting the black borders when watching 3D movies? I have a plasma and worry about image retention as I will be watching a lot of 3D content.

I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC for all other videos, but I find the 3D playback in PowerDVD much better and more enjoyable. I know stretching the image to full screen messes with the aspect ratio and will throw some things off, however I would rather have a full screen image without the borders and without having to zoom and miss some of the picture....
post #153 of 265 Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 AM

I have dual 560ti GPUs in SLI - hooked up to a Denon 1.3hdmi avr and an Epson 5010 1.4a hdmi PJ.

I can get the audio bitstreamed to the avr while the video plays fine in BR3D on the PJ - but the audio is not in-sync... anyone with this problem?

I've turned off the audio sync in the Denon but no help... I've adjusted the audio delay in the Denon w/wo audio sync on.... none of that helped....

There is no audio-sync issues when playing the same movie in 2D mode... I get bitstreamed audio and 2d video with no sync issues.

I have had no audio sync issues when using a panny or oppo br3d player for the same purpose as the htpc.... I decided to go with my HTPC for 3D playback vs the players for obvious reasons - just didn't anticipate this sync issue and I've not been able to find info on it.

My goal is to get the original HD audio bitstreamed to my AVR, not re/up/down-sampled to a multi-channel output.... is this not possible with PDVD12?
post #154 of 265 Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Give Corel a try...There is a trial download. http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...&segid=5000008
post #155 of 265 Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 PM

Liked: 11
anyone able to play full sbs 3d mkv file smoothly without lag on their pc as mine is lag cannot play smoothly but other file format like half sbs or over top and bottom is smooth with no lag issue.

My current PC spec.
Core2Duo 2.4Ghz
2GB RAM 800MHZ
ATI 7750 1GB
Window 7 Ultimate

Thanks
post #156 of 265 Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

anyone able to play full sbs 3d mkv file smoothly without lag on their pc as mine is lag cannot play smoothly but other file format like half sbs or over top and bottom is smooth with no lag issue.

My current PC spec.
Core2Duo 2.4Ghz
2GB RAM 800MHZ
ATI 7750 1GB
Window 7 Ultimate

Thanks

I get lag no matter what I do and it's not from lack of system specs. 8GB ram with a 1090T cpu and a 6850 windforce overclock GPU. I finally gave up and am just streaming my 3D movies to the TV using samsung's allshare app and everything is good and TBH looks waaaaaay better anyways...
post #157 of 265 Old 05-29-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednekcowboy View Post

I get lag no matter what I do and it's not from lack of system specs. 8GB ram with a 1090T cpu and a 6850 windforce overclock GPU. I finally gave up and am just streaming my 3D movies to the TV using samsung's allshare app and everything is good and TBH looks waaaaaay better anyways...

It only lag if play full sbs mkv files other fullhd or half sbs mkv files is smooth.

Thank.
post #158 of 265 Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow so far pdvd 12 is alot smoother then tmt at 24hz.

Could anyone tell me how to make the resolution change to always be yes? Im a little tired of it always popping up and having to select yes, im on the trial version.
post #159 of 265 Old 06-29-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
In the event Arcsoft eventually decides to go to TMT6 rather than update TMT5, and since I've vowed never to give them any more $$, I'm starting to take a longer look at PDVD 12. For those in the know, how often does Cyberlink have special offers? Does the Ultra version ever get down to a more reasonable $50 or so?
post #160 of 265 Old 06-29-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 215
After a couple of days trying both TMT5 and PowerDVD 12, I prefer PowerDVD.
I find PDVD smoother and the picture has more punch than TMT5.

Maybe I have a problem but I'm getting major black crush with TMT5.
Anyone having black crush with TMT5?

Thanks

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #161 of 265 Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

In the event Arcsoft eventually decides to go to TMT6 rather than update TMT5, and since I've vowed never to give them any more $$, I'm starting to take a longer look at PDVD 12. For those in the know, how often does Cyberlink have special offers? Does the Ultra version ever get down to a more reasonable $50 or so?

I paid less that $50 for 11 Ultra on a deal, but mine was an upgrade. Deals are pretty regular - might be a 4th of July one coming up. Not sure what price you will get if not an upgrade.
post #162 of 265 Old 07-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just upgraded to 12 ,

No Problem without updates .
post #163 of 265 Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17

I had accidentally selected the option for PowerDVD to change the refresh rate to my display automatically.  I need to know how to revert this setting.  I couldn't find the setting anywhere.

Thanks!

EDIT:  Hmm... I've done multiple searches and cant seem to find how to change this setting.  Does it somehow go without saying?  Doesn't look too obvious to me.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #164 of 265 Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you try going to Settings > General and clicking on "Reset All 'Never Ask Again' in Dialogs" ?
post #165 of 265 Old 08-06-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

PowerDVD 12 doesnt have a "Never Ask Again" option for this setting.  It's a known missing feature.

I just dont know how to reset the registry setting back to the factory default.  I already tried messing with the below setting.  However, no matter what value I set it at, PowerDVD starts changing refresh rates.  Even if I completely delete the setting, it doesnt make a difference.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD12\AskDlg]
"ModifyMonitorFrequency"=dword:00000001

Hopefully, Im not the only person on the Internet looking for an answer.

Quote:

Did you try going to Settings > General and clicking on "Reset All 'Never Ask Again' in Dialogs" ?

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #166 of 265 Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, OK, I didn't know that. I just installed the trial version a couple of days ago so I'm still learning the ins and outs. It did ask me the first time I inserted a BR if I wanted to switch to 24fps. I said no and checked "do not ask again." At any rate, it hasn't. smile.gif

Have you looked through the INI files? Perhaps there is a setting in there.
post #167 of 265 Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for trying to help.  PowerDVD has never stored user configurable settings in it's ini files.  I doubt they would start now.  It's probably just better to wait for someone who has run into this issue before comment.  I also asked the same question on Cyberlink's PowerDVD 12 forum.  Hopefully PowerDVD 12 is more popular than I think it is.

Quote:

Oh, OK, I didn't know that. I just installed the trial version a couple of days ago so I'm still learning the ins and outs. It did ask me the first time I inserted a BR if I wanted to switch to 24fps. I said no and checked "do not ask again." At any rate, it hasn't. smile.gif
Have you looked through the INI files? Perhaps there is a setting in there.

post #168 of 265 Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

@MKANET: FYI -- for the hell of it, I clicked on Reset All Never Again Dialogs in Settings and put in a 24fps BR. Lo and behold, the option to change refresh rate to match the source came up. And again, since I don't want 24fps, I checked "No" and "Dont' Show This Again." I don't know why you can't do this as well.
post #169 of 265 Old 08-07-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

@bruce73, thanks for trying.  I actually figured out the whole thing.  It appears I had multiple issues related to bad settings.  I deleted the entire user-based settings under the registry; so PowerDVD works exactly as it did when I first installed it.  I was then able to use this setting exactly the way it was meant to work.  This setting even works correctly if I decide to use it (by switching to 24P on my TV).

I was onto the right track earlier the below registry setting directly controls this setting's behavior in case anyone needs to know:

Value 1=Enable and don't display dialog box again.

Value 2=Disabled and don't display dialog box again.

Deleting setting entirely will prompt you every time which setting you want

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD12\AskDlg]
"ModifyMonitorFrequency"=dword:00000002

CFC likes this.

post #170 of 265 Old 08-07-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad you got it sorted. I know how frustrating these things can get (and how satisfying it is to figure it out). smile.gif
post #171 of 265 Old 08-08-2012, 04:43 AM

Hello all

Was just checking out the trial version and am thinking of buying, but one question I had. Is there a way to have the program start up to my DVD drive instead of the Moovieland is it Ad page.

Don't want to see an Ad page for movies to buy every time I open the program, I want to go right to the movie I have sitting in my drive.

I did read a post where it talks about renaming some dll file to .old in the common folder, but this gave me a error every time the program would start up, and really isn't as much what I want, I want it to just open and run the disk that is in the DVD drive.

Thanks for any help
post #172 of 265 Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

The extra bloat/advertisements/online info was the main reason why I avoided PowerDVD versions 9, 10, and 11.  I had unwillingly switched to Arcsoft TMT 5.

Just recently, I tried PowerDVD 12.  To my surprise, all extra bloat can be disabled.... so, when you start PowerDVD, you just see a normal bluray/DVD screen; and can be configured for starting a movie immediately if you want.  I have everything disabled except for Bluray/3D bluray playback on disc or HDD.  PowerDVD 12 runs more smoothly and less clunky than TMT 5 on my system.  It also fully supports Windows Aero

glass effect while playing back the most resource intensive 3D bluray movies without any issues.  TMT 5 couldn't handle that.

The only feature I miss is HD-DVD support; which TMT 5 has.  However, it's not enough for me to switch back to TMT 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post

Hello all
Was just checking out the trial version and am thinking of buying, but one question I had. Is there a way to have the program start up to my DVD drive instead of the Moovieland is it Ad page.
Don't want to see an Ad page for movies to buy every time I open the program, I want to go right to the movie I have sitting in my drive.
I did read a post where it talks about renaming some dll file to .old in the common folder, but this gave me a error every time the program would start up, and really isn't as much what I want, I want it to just open and run the disk that is in the DVD drive.
Thanks for any help

post #173 of 265 Old 08-08-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey, MKANET, do you know how to get rid of the BD Certificate prompt once and for all (maybe a Registry hack)? A lot of my BRs are on HDD and PDVD will sense a missing or invalid certificate and ask it I want to go online or continue to play. I guess if I enable it to go online automatically I won't see it (?), but I'd prefer to have it set to never go online. I had hoped using AnyDVD's Speedmenu would bypass this check, but it doesn't.

I'm like you with TMT5 and wanting to make the move to PDVD 12, not so much for 3D but because it takes so freaking long for TMT to load on my system with all of my external drives. The only negative I have with PDVD so far is that it doesn't change from bitstreaming HD audio to DD/DTS and back automatically. Do you think Cyberlink will ever address this?
post #174 of 265 Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

The extra bloat/advertisements/online info was the main reason why I avoided PowerDVD versions 9, 10, and 11.  I had unwillingly switched to Arcsoft TMT 5.

Just recently, I tried PowerDVD 12.  To my surprise, all extra bloat can be disabled.... so, when you start PowerDVD, you just see a normal bluray/DVD screen; and can be configured for starting a movie immediately if you want.  I have everything disabled except for Bluray/3D bluray playback on disc or HDD.  PowerDVD 12 runs more smoothly and less clunky than TMT 5 on my system.  It also fully supports Windows Aero
glass effect while playing back the most resource intensive 3D bluray movies without any issues.  TMT 5 couldn't handle that.

The only feature I miss is HD-DVD support; which TMT 5 has.  However, it's not enough for me to switch back to TMT 5.
So MKANET, how does one go about disabling all the extra bloat your talking about? Looked through every option I could find but could not find anyway to start it like you stated. Is this something that can only be done with the paid version?
post #175 of 265 Old 08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Pretty much all of my bluray movies are on my HDD.  I dont ever get the certificate prompt.  In fact, I've never seen it before.  So, we need to find out what you have set differently than I do.  Pretty much all my settings related to online access/invalid certificate/etc are at their defaults; which allow full access to the internet in the background.  My guess you should allow full access to the internet; at least as a test.

I do have anydvdHD running in the background just like you do with all the bluray features enabled (disable BDlive, disable trailers, do not display 1 minute or less scenes, etc).

Yeah, it seems like PowerDVD definitely handles 3D much more smoothly than TMT5.  In fact, TMT 5 had this weird bug on my machine where it would cause the Windows System process utilization to jump to 10% or so indefinitely; even after closing the TMT 5 app.  It would require a full reboot to get this process back down to 0%.  I don't have any weird resource utilitization bugs with PowerDVD 12; or, any other stability issues; which is a huge plus for me.

I haven't played around with audio options that much since lately I've been watching my movies in headphone mode.  I didn't know there was an issue switching between bitstreaming and DD/DTS.  I would expect it to switch to DTS-MA/TrueHD from DTS/DD and back when selecting that mode in the bluray menus.  If it doesnt do that, then not sure how else I would do it.  I'll give it a try when I get home.

One thing I noticed, 3D doesnt seem to be detected automatically for me.  I have to manually pretty the 3D button to switch to 3D mode.  TMT 5 seemed to automatically detect my 3D bluray movies and switch upon startup.  This is a relatively minor issue though.

Quote:

Hey, MKANET, do you know how to get rid of the BD Certificate prompt once and for all (maybe a Registry hack)? A lot of my BRs are on HDD and PDVD will sense a missing or invalid certificate and ask it I want to go online or continue to play. I guess if I enable it to go online automatically I won't see it (?), but I'd prefer to have it set to never go online. I had hoped using AnyDVD's Speedmenu would bypass this check, but it doesn't.
I'm like you with TMT5 and wanting to make the move to PDVD 12, not so much for 3D but because it takes so freaking long for TMT to load on my system with all of my external drives. The only negative I have with PDVD so far is that it doesn't change from bitstreaming HD audio to DD/DTS and back automatically. Do you think Cyberlink will ever address this?

post #176 of 265 Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

You'll have to look at the settings.  It didn't take anything but a minute to disable moovie live, home media sharing, remove pictures, music, and other media locations, and ratings dialog when playback stops.  I dont see any references online videos or extra movie info on the home screen once I disable these features (just what you see below).  The paid version doesnt show advertisements or screens asking you to upgrade.

When I start Powerdvd 12, I just get a default bluray playback screen (below).  If I insert a BD disc or double click an bluray ISO on my HDD, the movie will start automatically.

There may be a way to further disable the left pane showing different categories on the left of the screen.  However, since they are relatively discrete, I haven't been motivated yet to see if that can be disabled via registry.  I wouldn't be surprised if there is a way. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post

So MKANET, how does one go about disabling all the extra bloat your talking about? Looked through every option I could find but could not find anyway to start it like you stated. Is this something that can only be done with the paid version?

post #177 of 265 Old 08-08-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

@MKANET: I've enabled the online options (I believe there are just two in the Settings), and I don't get the prompt. I have no use for BD-Live so I thought I could just disable these (I'm pretty sure that's what I've done with TMT5). But it's no big deal to leave them enabled.

Do you know if PDVD can work with PAL files? I ask because I have an ISO rip of the French version of "Lost Highway" that I load up with AnyDVD running into TMT5 without problem, but PDVD says it's an supported disc. I'm wondering if it's because the first splash is a static language selection screen that is probably PAL-formatted, or if it sees the disc as Region B even though AnyDVD is running (which I would think would take care of that).
post #178 of 265 Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

@bruce73, PowerDVD definitely supports PAL.  I've played DVD's from Europe with PAL format without issues in older versions of PowerDVD using AnyDVD-HD to remove the region.  You should double check AnyDVD; and make sure its working.  I actually reinstalled AnyDVD-HD after I installed PDVD 12; just in case Powerdvd didn't see the AnyDVD-HD related drivers.

If you're still getting an error, I think it might be something else thats causing the problem other than PAL.  Maybe its a proprietary format?

What I would do is remux the DVD image to another standard format so you keep full quality.  However, with remuxing you would lose menus.  I'm sure one way or another youll be able to play it with PDVD.

post #179 of 265 Old 08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

@MKANET: Thanks for confirming about PAL. It's got to be either the way the disc was ripped or, as you said, something proprietary that PDVD doesn't like (and that TMT has no problems with). I don't think it's an issue with PDVD and AnyDVD, as the Speedmenu works with other ISOs. I could do a remux, but I'd kinda like to keep the few extras that are on the disc and, like I said, it plays in TMT. Again, not that big a deal; I was just surprised when it wouldn't load.

LATER: Well, I've given up on this software. I can't get media files to play with any kind of consistency -- MKV files that would play at first wouldn't play 5 sec. later. DVR-MS and TS files that played yesterday would cause PDVD to crash today. I tried really hard to like this software, but, bottom line, the only thing, for me, that PDVD does consistently better than TMT5 is load faster. That just isn't worth $80.
post #180 of 265 Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 AM

Quote:

LATER: Well, I've given up on this software. I can't get media files to play with any kind of consistency -- MKV files that would play at first wouldn't play 5 sec. later. DVR-MS and TS files that played yesterday would cause PDVD to crash today. I tried really hard to like this software, but, bottom line, the only thing, for me, that PDVD does consistently better than TMT5 is load faster. That just isn't worth $80.
I don't understand why you would use this program for MKV playback. There are so many third party alternatives which do this a lot better.

Myself, I'm just looking for a good blu-ray playback program which comfortably integrates into WMC (and MB). I've tried TMT5 and have had had too many issues with stability, poor playback, refresh rates, app crashing etc.
Gonna give PDVD12 a try to see if it can fulfil my requirements.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page