Help with PC HDMI audio signal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, sorry for a bit of a long read, but I have a small issue here. I'll try my best to explain:

I have a Dell Studio XPS connected to an Onkyo HDMI A/V receiver that runs to my Samsung 51" Plasma. Everything works nearly perfectly fine, with one little hangup; the audio, which is going through the HDMI port of an ATi Radeon 5450.

The problem is that whenever my PC ISN'T playing any audio, the receiver, of course, loses the audio signal completely. So, whenever I DO begin to play a video, music, etc., a quick "pop" is heard, and then a few seconds of silence as the receiver attempts to recognize the signal. The audio signal/codec icons flicker on the display as this is going on.

This delay ends up in the first 4-5 seconds of whatever is playing to be lost as the receiver does its duties. Activites such as pausing playback, etc. results in the loss of the audio signal, and pressing play results in the delay again. Occasionally, this will confuse the receiver, and it will stop recognizing any audio signal from the PC until I go into the audio settings, set my destop speakers to default, and then set the HDMI audio output back as default again.

Is there any fix for this? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems as though I would need to change a setting to make the PC output a persistent audio signal, even if nothing is going on at the given moment.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Bump???
post #3 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Try this . . .
In Control Panel | Sound, under the active AMD device, set the speaker configuration to 'stereo'.

If no AMD device is present, you may need to update the drivers from amd.com

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

Try this . . .
In Control Panel | Sound, under the active AMD device, set the speaker configuration to 'stereo'.

If no AMD device is present, you may need to update the drivers from amd.com

It comes up as an ATI HDMI audio device. I had it set to stereo the whole time, so I tried switching it to 5.1 Surround, since it is a 5.1 receiver. Odd thing is, switching it to 5.1 still plays the audio in stereo mode, as the surround speaker audio in "Test" mode plays through the front L/R speakers.

In order to use the test mode, though, I have to turn music on in my Zune player, turn down the audio within the Zune software, and then hit "Test." This causes the audio signal to stay persistent. If I don't do this, then the receiver will cut in and out and the test sounds won't be heard.

What in god's name is going on here?
post #5 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Nobody's got a clue on this one? Surely someone out there can shed some light on the situation...
post #6 of 11 Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 AM

Liked: 10
Have you disabled the desktop speakers so that the audio can only route through the 5450?
post #7 of 11 Old 02-03-2012, 06:44 AM

Liked: 147
I have never had this issue, but try going into the BIOS of the PC and disabling onboard sound.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

FIXED!!!

Explanation:

When toying with the AVR's settings failed to provide a fix, I went scouring my PC for a solution. Previously, I had gone into Device Manager and attempted to update the audio/video drivers myself just by pressing the "Update Driver" button. Of course, when doing so, it found no updates. I assumed this stuff was supposed to work properly. Apparently not.

So, tonight, I decided to cross-reference my driver's versions to the AMD and Realtek websites. Turns out, to my unknowing, Windows just wasn't finding the newest drivers when using the above method, and my drivers were on the brink of becoming ancient.

So, I downloaded both the ATi Radeon 5xxx Series GPU driver update (since the video card handles the audio thru HDMI, I assumed it could have something to do with it ) and the Realtek Audio driver updates (both the standard sound card driver and the HDMI audio driver) at their respecive websites.

The PC boots after installations are complete, I swap over to HDMI, and viola, constant audio signal. This damned thing finally works as it should, after 8 months of just dealing with it and thinking it was "normal." The GPU drivers were a pain in the ass, as I dealt with numerous hitches, including a BSOD (scared the hell out of me ), but I managed to work it out. The audio drivers were a piece of cake.

I can't believe I didn't think to do this sooner. Shark007 mentioned drivers, but when Windows told me they were up-to-date, I looked past it. Thanks for the help, guys.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-04-2012, 02:25 AM

Good to hear and thanks for posting the solution for future reference.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

No sweat! I'm sure there are a number of people with this issue that can't find a solution, because I looked EVERYWHERE.

Hopefully this thread can help someone out.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Hi all. I had a very similar problem and it was driving me nuts, so you DEFINITELY pointed me in the right direction. I, however, had to take a few more steps, so...

Two weeks ago I built a movie server, so everything was brand new. I installed Windows 8 and it was connected to my Onkyo receiver via HDMI through an Nvidia card (GeForce GTX 5500Ti). Every time I would turn off my receiver and turn it back on, my audio would cut out and my receiver would show ANALOG on the display (my video was never an issue). I would either need to restart the movie server or pull the receiver out and unplug and reconnect the HDMI for the HDMI sound to come back.

After I read this thread, I downloaded all the necessary drivers, but I was STILL having the problem. I called Onkyo and they said that they didn't think it was the receiver. I contacted RealTek (their sound is on the motherboard). After 2 more days of utter frustration, I had it narrowed down to either the motherboard or the sound card, so I went to Fry’s and bought a different MB, sound card, and, as a last resort, a remote-controlled HDMI switch, because I figured that I could program my Logitech remote to turn the switch on when I push the button to turn the TV and receiver on, which would emulate pulling out and reconnecting the HDMI cable.

I started with the sound card (an AMD Radeon 7700). When I installed it, the sound issue got resolved. I was SO happy, so I installed the driver that came with the sound card, and then the issue returned, so I looked at my device manager and noticed that my HDMI sound was only in 2 channel and I couldn’t switch it to 5.1. I also saw the RealTek sound there, and then it hit me that I would never be using the RealTek sound, so I uninstalled all the RealTek sound drivers, the Radeon display adapter, all hi-def sound drivers, and restarted the movie server.

It came back up with just hi-def sound (no more analog) and when I checked it in the device manager, it showed up as 5.1 (no longer only 2 channels), so I was making progress. I then went to the AMD site and downloaded the latest driver for the sound card (thanks to this thread) and FINALLY my problem got resolved.

Thank you for posting your story and I hope mine helps others.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page