Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=51970

This could truly revolutionise open source blu-ray playback. All BD Java is replaced "on the fly" with simple, but surprisingly attractive, non-Java menus listing all "Features" and other "Titles" (generally extras). Particularly great for discs that have multiple versions of the movie, where open source players typically pick the longest playlist.

(sorry for the picture quality - taken with an iPad!)

We just need the open source guys to get on the case with a simple, stripped down, non-Java BD Navigator, minus all DRM and bloat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I dunno how this looks exactly, but plenty players already offer a title selection interface.

Can it actually figure out which track is what, or does it just show the name of the playlist file?

I should probably try it, but i have nothing installed that can render BD menus.
Maybe someone can show a screenshot of the menu? - Thanks

PS:
Even non-Java menus are incredibly complicated to handle. At least in DirectShow players, it adds *alot* of challenges. Might be easier in completely controllable systems like VLC, but still a challenge.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've posted a screenshot. See above.

I've suggested it might be an idea to have an online user-maintained DB of title names, possibly editable by authorised users from the menu itself. This would get over the crptic "Feature", "Title 1", "Title 2" naming at the moment. But still, even as it is, with just title duration it is very quick and surprisingly useful. What I like (illustrated above), is the first title is correctly identified (at least in this case) as the theatrical release. This disc has two versions of the movie - theatrical and "extended" - and a "Maximum Movie Mode" that includes director commentary video cut into the movie. Unfortunately MPC-HC with LAV (thanks a lot for that by the way ) plays the MMM track, which AnyDVD correctly identifies as a "Track" rather than a "Feature".

It hopefully will get around any forced (due to Java incompatibility) commercial player update that comes, post-Feb, with Cinavia infection. If a few open source players can support it still better.

BTW what players currently support a title selection menu? I have only heard of JRiver but I may be a bit out of date. Others tend to just play the longest feature in my experience.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

Unfortunately MPC-HC with LAV (thanks a lot for that by the way ) plays the MMM track, which AnyDVD correctly identifies as a "Track" rather than a "Feature".

I've been wondering if there is some way to detect the difference, but since MPC-HC also has a BD title selector now, its probably easier to fix for the user then spend hours upon hours to try to detect it.....

Regarding title selection:
MPC-HC has something, JRivers MC17 does, i believe Media Portal also does. Not sure about any others.

Here is a screenshot of MPC-HCs:
http://images.gammatester.com/pics/b...897bf993dc.png
True to its user-unfriendly style, all in context menus.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Is this going to replace the full ISO rip, or suppliment it with another choice? I like having the full on menu created by the manufacturers. Of course, I would like to be able to skip through previews...
post #6 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

MPC-HC also has a BD title selector now

Really? How do you do it in MPC-HC? I've been keeping an eye on this a lot but have yet to see any posts or release notes that talk of it. Is it remote control friendly, or only using a mouse (in non-exclusive mode)? Does it work with seemless branching titles or only conventional playlists?

PS. when I last looked at MediaPortal, only a week or two ago, I could only find reference to playing the longest playlist. But I may have missed something.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Is this going to replace the full ISO rip, or suppliment it with another choice? I like having the full on menu created by the manufacturers. Of course, I would like to be able to skip through previews...

If you rip "with protection" the entrie disc is copied with no changes - the new menu is created on the fly when the iso is mounted.

If you rip without protection (not recommended) you would lose the original menus, but only if you enable speedmenus. They are currently disabled by default and the option is easily changeable.

James has said they are planning to offer an option to launch the original menus from the speedmenu, so then you really would have the best of both worlds.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? How do you do it in MPC-HC?

I posted a screenshot above, it only works if you open the BD via index.bdmv.
Its only a smart way to select which mpls is being loaded, and that is then forwarded to LAV Splitter (if you have it installed and preferred), which means all seamless branching should work just fine.

For MP, i believe you still need to install a plugin, called Bluray Handler (http://www.team-mediaportal.com/exte...-handler-0-9-7)
Screenshot of MP: http://www.team-mediaportal.com/comp...ings/m/892.png
post #9 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is a screenshot of MPC-HCs:
http://images.gammatester.com/pics/b...897bf993dc.png
True to its user-unfriendly style, all in context menus.

Ah, yes, a right-click menu. Not great for sofa viewing with a remote control and impossible for me as I use full-screen exclusive. But good to see it is there anyway.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, yes, a right-click menu. Not great for sofa viewing with a remote control and impossible for me as I use full-screen exclusive. But good to see it is there anyway.

MPC-HC in general is not good for sofa remote control, to be honest. =)
post #11 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I very happily use it for mkv, avi and others. My "subtitle" button and "Language" button cycles through available tracks. Chapter skip and all the other "basics" work (with BD too). So generally I do not have a problem with it. A proper non-Java BD menu would be all I would need to use it full-time from my sofa! Of course it is launched from a separate HTPC front-end (MeediOS in my case).
post #12 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

For the record, some of the MediaPortal developers are also working on a DirectShow Blu-ray source filter with menus and everything, however work is far from complete and integrating it into other players requires serious effort from those players developers (it is possible, however)

Infos are here:
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ar...upport-102375/
post #13 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yep, I know they are trying. What worries me at the moment is Cinavia may B****r up commercial player playback before these developments come off. The AnyDVD solution should be a very useful (and timely) bridge, at least.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm a little confused... posters seem to be comparing AnyDVD HD to various players... but it's not a player itself. So what's the reason for that comparison?
post #15 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

We were just discussing different ways to navigate around a Blu-ray without a commercial player that supports menus.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

We were just discussing different ways to navigate around a Blu-ray without a commercial player that supports menus.

OK. Thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page