Can you stream local news channels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.

I don't watch much TV so I'm planning to cancel my satellite service to save $$ and instead use a small media PC to stream via Netflix, etc.

Problem is that one of my family members just HAS to watch the local news.

I bought at least four different types of indoor antennas, and none of them could hold a reception for very long (the property I live in will not allow me to install one on the roof).

I cannot find any app or device that streams local news via Internet. Does anyone know if this exists?

Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you own your house and this is an HOA prohibiting you, that prohibition is likely illegal. see http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule
If this is an apartment or similar, you may still be able to mount it on a balcony.
What type of antenna did you use? Have you looked at http://www.antennaweb.org ? Many so called HDTV antennas really aren't suitable for the purpose (omndirectional antenna is generally not the right solution for HDTV)

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #3 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I can. But that's because our local CBS affiliate (KIRO) streams them. YMMV depending on market and local station.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I own the apartment/unit but I do not own the property, it's co-op housing which has a lot of idiotic rules.

I tried various antennas including:

Code:
www.frys.com/product/5848193
www.frys.com/product/6259840
www.frys.com/product/5915464
Antennaweb says I need a medium directional antenna for the VHF, and a
medium directional antenna with preamp for the UHF. The Philips antenna had an amp and still didn't work unfortunately.

Our local channels do have websites with news videos, however, she would not be able to go online and view videos etc. And none of the stations in my area (LA county) have an app or similar that would show the morning, afternoon, or evening news that you could watch at a later time.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, if you have an outdoor space, like a balcony, putting the antenna there may be an option.
I would have expected the first two antenna to work reasonably well - did you try rotating them?
Also, how far are you from the transmitters? I'm wondering if this is more of a multipath issue (and if so, an antenna with a very narrow beamwidth may be helpful) and not a signal strength issue. Also, what are you using for a tuner? Newer tuners handle multipath better than older ones.

post #6 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

No outdoor space.

Yup I tried rotating them and placing them in various locations in the living room using a very long cable to test it. Sometimes I got a reception for a few seconds or close to a minute then it "scrambles".

31 miles away.

The tuner is ASTC built-in to the TV. I should note that the TV is several years old when LCD's were becoming the norm. Do you think a separate digital tuner box will work better or doesn't matter? I never thought about that.. I thought ASTC tuner is the same as long as it receives digital signal.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The difference is in the "analog" sections, as far as signal processing goes. Newer chips will use better technologies which can recover from errors better

post #8 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
doesn't sat need a dish? just tape/bubble gum/attach your antenna to the dish...

if your apartment/unit provides cable, you should/might be able to hook up to that and get the locals free...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #9 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to try and find a good ATSC tuner or converter box and try an antenna again to see if that helps. Thank you for this idea.

Some units have cable some units have dishes... when I moved in it already had a Dish Network satellite so I signed up with them and just installed a receiver. They do not allow you to go on the roof to make any changes. I already spoke with the on site manager and board of directors, they are all idiots and needless to say we're planning to move in the near future.

Anyway thanks again for the feedback and help.

I'll post back if the tuner works.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksv View Post

The tuner is ASTC built-in to the TV. I should note that the TV is several years old when LCD's were becoming the norm. Do you think a separate digital tuner box will work better or doesn't matter? I never thought about that.. I thought ASTC tuner is the same as long as it receives digital signal.

Unfortunately, not all digital tuners have the same tuning capability. Newer ones tend to be more sensitive and can reject multi-path better for instance.

I only live 15 miles from my towers but there is some interesting terrain and massive trees in the way. I got fed up with store bought antennas and built my own. I built a Grey-Hoverman variant and I swear that is the best antenna I have ever used in my life. I get perfect signals with it and it's only 10 feet off the ground not even facing the antenna's properly... it's probably a good 15-20 degrees off of what the "ideal" direction should be. i just slapped it on the side of my deck, somewhat facing the correct direction.

I've read about people using these antennas indoors as they can be made really flat, and you might be able to hide it in a closet, behind the entertainment center, or even mounted on your wall explaining to people that it's "modern art."
post #11 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If you have an exterior wall without metal siding facing the right direction, you may try this one, indoor installation - it is quite flat and powerful. I have it in a first floor attic, catching a 30 mile signal through the nearby powerline.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksv View Post

I own the apartment/unit but I do not own the property, it's co-op housing which has a lot of idiotic rules.

The co-op may not allow you to install anything outside, but if you have access to the attic...

condos can be pains but there are upsides. If one neighbor is noisy, you can bet others can hear it too and you have a whole association to back you up.

Just play the game, they don't want anything outside to change the overall look of the original concept. A dish can be cammoed for example.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-04-2012, 07:55 PM

If you're building a media PC, then you might just get an ATSC tuner card instead of a separate tuner box. They do come pretty cheap these days.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I don't get it, the condo association allows for unsightly sattelite dishes, but not for antennas?

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #15 of 16 Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Generally, if you have a balcony or patio, they cannot prohibit you from mounting an antenna or sat dish.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule
post #16 of 16 Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 PM

Liked: 11
I know you want to save money but since cable tv is run to your building already, you can get basic cable for about $10 usually. This is typically going to be channels 2-13 but they also send the local channels in HD as well. You can add a tv tuner card to your system and use windows media center to watch the local news in HD or just hook the cable up to your tv directly and watch the local channels that way.

I have basic cable at my beach house and it costs me $11.71/mo after taxes and fees. I added high speed internet bringing it up to around $60/mo so I can use vudo, netflix and slingbox. It's a lot cheaper than having full cable and internet at both houses.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page