post #121 of 149 Old 02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Sure... but 1080p isn't the only video that people watch! Don't people watch 1080i broadcast? Don't people watch 720p broadcast? Don't people watch 480i and 480p broadcast? Don't people watch 480i DVDs? Don't people watch streaming video (AMD can apply settings to internet video!)

The best PQ has a lot more to do than decoding VC-1 or H.264 1080p video. Surely you know this?

Of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 149 Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As I expected the poll so far is largely unsupportive. ATI 8 and the others 8. It also makes the assumption that the ATI voters have actually tried Intel or NVidia and that the Intel or NVidia voters have tried ATI. I don't think that assumption on either side is necessarily valid.

I just don't think this is a winnable argument. Unless, of course, we had someone from the AVS community do a large blinded poll where they take screenshots of all 3. Then we vote on what we think are the best or equivocal and then unblind the study for the results.

Want to take that on?

post #123 of 149 Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
A jpg screenshot is not the same as video PQ. You know that.

And by the way... it was your idea for the poll. So far, it's 9 in favor of AMD... and 7 against. The respondents for #4 and 5 are largely throw away answers.

Intel is taking a beating so far.

I'll think about a solution to the blind comparison, though.
post #124 of 149 Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Isn't that how some of the reviewers in your links were comparing?

Reading the responses so far in the other thread the few people who have commented seem to agree with my viewpoint.

This just isn't an argument that can be proven without having some huge A/B party then at your house with catering and a few kegs.

Let me know when to send the invite to other AVS members.

post #125 of 149 Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Isn't that how some of the reviewers in your links were comparing?

Yes, but it was obvious that there were differences in some of the HQV tests they ran. Especially when it came to improvements that were possible with <1080p.

Quote:

Reading the responses so far in the other thread the few people who have commented seem to agree with my viewpoint.

Sure... but so far the votes don't support it.

Quote:

This just isn't an argument that can be proven without having some huge A/B party then at your house with catering and a few kegs.

Let me know when to send the invite to other AVS members.

If someone wants to donate a 500 series Nvidia card, and a Intel HD 3000 board, I'll entertain it. I've already got the Radeon 6770.

I'm planning on getting a SB or IB board with a nice i7 processor in the next few months... so I'll be able to compare the 6770 to the HD 3000 no problem. The only Nvidia card that I still have is a 240. I guess I could "rent" a 500 series card from Best Buy.
post #126 of 149 Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

The respondents for #4 and 5 are largely throw away answers.

LOL of course they aren't its just that they don't fit in with your theory - what a waste of time to prove that i can pee up the wall higher than you.
post #127 of 149 Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And by the way... it was your idea for the poll. So far, it's 9 in favor of AMD... and 7 against. The respondents for #4 and 5 are largely throw away answers.

Intel is taking a beating so far.

I'll think about a solution to the blind comparison, though.

Actually no one is taking a beating. Intel has 7 (2 for intel and 5 for can't tell a difference to ATI's 9).

Remember I never claimed superiority. I claimed non-inferiority which is a big difference.

Disagree completely with the "throw away answers" comment you made. None of these are throw away answers as these are people who use HTPC and their opinion is as important as ours.

post #128 of 149 Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Here's my vote. Close this thread (before it gets ugly...)
post #129 of 149 Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

lol of course they aren't its just that they don't fit in with your theory - what a waste of time to prove that i can pee up the wall higher than you.

post #130 of 149 Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Disagree completely with the "throw away answers" comment you made. None of these are throw away answers as these are people who use HTPC and their opinion is as important as ours.

Yeah, throw-away was probably a little harsh.
post #131 of 149 Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just want to make sure anyone following this thread didn't miss the chance to view or vote in the poll.

Honestly.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1394416

post #132 of 149 Old 02-22-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
So I said I was going to check back in. My pixel format issues did go away. However, the audio/video sync problems have come back, and some of my shows are unwatchable. I've switched to mymovies+mpc-hc in the meantime. Sadly Plex doesn't support external players
post #133 of 149 Old 02-22-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

So I said I was going to check back in. My pixel format issues did go away. However, the audio/video sync problems have come back, and some of my shows are unwatchable. I've switched to mymovies+mpc-hc in the meantime. Sadly Plex doesn't support external players

That sucks man. Thanks for updating us.

post #134 of 149 Old 05-05-2012, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

Yeah keep us posted. See I helped ya stick the pixel format... I could possible help with the sync issue as well.

Make sure you don't have "Image scaling" enabled by unchecking "Enable GPU Scaling" under Properties (Digital Flat Panel). Also make sure the LCD overdrive function is disabled. Then under video playback make sure "enforce smooth video playback" is disabled. I'd also disable the colour processing. I'm not familiar with the Plex branch of XBMC. But you've given me a reason to try it this evening with AMD/ATI HD 5950 in my HTPC. I'll report back.

I have the same problem as the starter of the thread.
I select Pixel format limited RGB but after a while it reverts back to the "previously selected" choice. To minimize the problem i selected ypbpr4:4:4 and the rgb limited so it reverted to ypbpr.

Above solution did not solve the issue

Livingroom
JVC DLA-X30@108" 16:9
Denon AVR3805, Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-93,PS-3,HTPC
JBL Ti6K,Ti1K,XTi20,REL Q150
Bedroom
Pioneer KRP-500M
Denon AVR3802,HTPC
QLN 603,601MK2,Wharfdale DFS
post #135 of 149 Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:

I really appreciate the help Solid-State. All those options are definitely disabled, as well as all other post-processing options, with one exception. Something called "ITC processing" is enabled, which apparently does this. I'll try disabling it and see what happens.

Lockdown - you hit the nail on the head
It solved my problems with pixel format reverting by itself back to previous selection.
Now it stays locked on Limited RGB as intended.

With super white on the projector (JVC DLA-X30) I now have the full resolution of 16-235 correctly displayed for movies with full shadow detail and whites that are NOT overblown
Also the whites and colours in IE9 now displays as they should - WOHOOO

I even tried updating video drivers from 11.11 to 11.12 before i found this post (anyway from what I have read 11.12 is the best for video for a radeon HD5770 so I guess its a good thing anyway)

Great thread - hard to find the resolution on google which strange enough since there must be a ton of people who have the issue?
Boogie

Livingroom
Oppo BDP-93,PS-3,HTPC
Bedroom
Pioneer KRP-500M
Denon AVR3802,HTPC
post #136 of 149 Old 05-05-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Europe]Boogiem View Post

Lockdown - you hit the nail on the head
It solved my problems with pixel format reverting by itself back to previous selection.
Now it stays locked on Limited RGB as intended.

With super white on the projector (JVC DLA-X30) I now have the full resolution of 16-235 correctly displayed for movies with full shadow detail and whites that are NOT overblown
Also the whites and colours in IE9 now displays as they should - WOHOOO

I even tried updating video drivers from 11.11 to 11.12 before i found this post (anyway from what I have read 11.12 is the best for video for a radeon HD5770 so I guess its a good thing anyway)

Great thread - hard to find the resolution on google which strange enough since there must be a ton of people who have the issue?
Boogie

To clarify, are you saying that turning itc processing off prevented your pixel format from spontaneously changing?
post #137 of 149 Old 05-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Qaq

Liked: 12
I have ITC and GPU scaling sticked (for 2-monitor setup). So FullRGB sticked too for anything. But its now with 7750 and 12.3. Previously I had 5450 and 11.4 and FulRGB was sticked only for 60Hz.

Burned by the Audio Inquisition
post #138 of 149 Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:

To clarify, are you saying that turning itc processing off prevented your pixel format from spontaneously changing?

That is right
Unticking ITC processing made "RGB limited" and any other choice stick (= no more sponaneous change in pixel format)

Boogie

Livingroom
Oppo BDP-93,PS-3,HTPC
Bedroom
Pioneer KRP-500M
Denon AVR3802,HTPC
post #139 of 149 Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Europe]Boogiem View Post

That is right
Unticking ITC processing made "RGB limited" and any other choice stick (= no more sponaneous change in pixel format)

Boogie

Awesome thanks. I also have not had pixel format problems since I reinstalled Catalyst and turned ITC processing off.

As for the sync problems I've had with Plex, they seem to mostly gone. They only ever happened in certain shows (namely The Office and Parks and Recreation), and it's possible I just haven't watched those shows as much.

Nevertheless, I still hear people on the Plex forums have sync issues. Fortunately, the developers have acknowledged the issue, so hopefully we'll see a fix soon.
post #140 of 149 Old 06-22-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fyi, this problem came back. I'm pretty tired of troubleshooting it, so I'm just going to give up up on Plex for now. Jriver and mpc-hc w/ MadVR seem immune to this issue (I think they bypass the ATI pixel format settings). Unfortunately, Media Browser does not launch mpc-hc reliably, and Jriver's network playback is broken (edit: network playback is fine, user error). XBMC may or may not be immune from this issue, but I don't really feel like testing it right now. Plus, XBMC isn't really suited for server/client configurations.

So basically, I'm left with not a single HTPC front end that works properly. Amazing. I've never hated my HTPCs more than right now.

Edit: Well I've found a workaround for the Jriver issue, so at least I have something now.

Edit 2: Network playback on Jriver is working fine. My fault XD
post #141 of 149 Old 06-23-2012, 01:37 AM

Liked: 10
Same here, kind of. itc on or off doesn't really make a difference, actually with it off it changes back while watching a movie even. With itc enabled i only have to change the pixel format back to full rbg once and it will stick (well until the next reboot anyway, lol).

Annoying.
post #142 of 149 Old 06-23-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroen View Post

Same here, kind of. itc on or off doesn't really make a difference, actually with it off it changes back while watching a movie even. With itc enabled i only have to change the pixel format back to full rbg once and it will stick (well until the next reboot anyway, lol).
Annoying.

Which front end are you using? I really wouldn't be surprised if this were a widespread issue, but many people just don't notice it. My girlfriend sure didn't. We were powering through the first season of game of thrones, and when I played the 8th episode something suddenly looked off. Faces looked kind of muddled and clay-like and blacks became gray. The most noticeable symptom though is always whites/blondes that look pinkish.
post #143 of 149 Old 06-23-2012, 08:31 AM

Liked: 10
I use mpc-hc but it doesnt matter, it even does it when im just on the desktop with no video playing. Disabling itc at least resolved the color issue where everything started looking all pink-ish, but it still does the thing where it goes black for a second. Oh well.
post #144 of 149 Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone who has this issue use WMC extenders? Through a long trial and error, I discovered that watching video through my linksys extender would reset the video settings on my base computer.
post #145 of 149 Old 06-23-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroen View Post

I use mpc-hc but it doesnt matter, it even does it when im just on the desktop with no video playing. Disabling itc at least resolved the color issue where everything started looking all pink-ish, but it still does the thing where it goes black for a second. Oh well.

Jriver has a free 30 day trial. I would suggest giving it a try. Things are working well for me so far.
post #146 of 149 Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Jriver has a free 30 day trial. I would suggest giving it a try. Things are working well for me so far.

I actually don't think Jriver is immune to this issue. Things started looking off, although not as bad is in Plex. Anyways, I swapped out my ATI graphics in my HTPC with an Nvidia GT430 and reverted to the Intel graphics in my other HTPC. It's been over a month now, and I've had no problems since.
post #147 of 149 Old 08-17-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I actually don't think Jriver is immune to this issue. Things started looking off, although not as bad is in Plex. Anyways, I swapped out my ATI graphics in my HTPC with an Nvidia GT430 and reverted to the Intel graphics in my other HTPC. It's been over a month now, and I've had no problems since.

So you are using the Intel iGPU now? What do you think of the differences in PQ between the three? What do you think was the problem?

post #148 of 149 Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

So you are using the Intel iGPU now? What do you think of the differences in PQ between the three? What do you think was the problem?

When all the post processing stuff is turned off and all GPUs are set to the correct pixel format, they all look identical to my eyes.The problem is, Catalyst 12.x drivers have an issue where various settings randomly reset, including the pixel format and post-processing options. So things will be fine for a few days and then all of a sudden video will just look like crap. I've noticed this on two different ATI cards (5450 and 5670), on multiple Windows 7 installations, and with various iterations of the 12.x Catalyst drivers. I spoke about this a bit more in this thread.
post #149 of 149 Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I realize I'm bumping a very old thread, but I wanted to mention that I haven't had any of these issues since upgrading to Catalyst 13.x.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page