Understanding S3 Sleep Mode - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-06-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently putting my HTPC together (A6-3500, Win7-64 based) and am wondering about how to leave the system powered when not in use. I will be controlling it with a Logitech Harmony remote, with this USB IR receiver. I see people talking about a S3 sleep state - is this recommended and if so, how do you set up the remote to wake it and then return it to S3? My preference would be to leave it powered but in a standy state for quicker startup (rather than completely powering off).

Also, if the system is in the S3 state and I wanted to remotely log in from another machine (for instance, to perform maintenance/file management), is it possible to wake it over the network (even if I am on a smartphone outside the LAN)? And if I schedule a TV recording (or other event), will it be able to wake up automatically?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-06-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This subject is touched all the time, so if I type too fast or give u lingos u don't understand please use the SEARCH button.

S1 = light sleep, not worthwhile as a goal if u want machine to sleep.
S3 = best sleep mode. Relatively quick wake up and save most power.

When machine is sleep it can be WOKEN up by several methods.

1. Of course the OS itself can be told to wake up the machine to perform tasks such as recording. This is built-in, usually there is nothing for you to do. You tell your recorder to start the recording at certain time, it would do so, sometimes you have to check a box that says "Wake up machine to perform this task."

2. A mouse/keyboard/IR sensor hooked up to USB. USB port must be configured to be powered at all times.

3. From outside your LAN, u should configure your NIC to wakup when there is network activity. This is not perfect however as there maybe some false trigger but depends on your expertise in configuring it, it maybe minimized to be good enough.

BTW, at least 1/2 of the people here leave their machines on 24x7 as configure to sleep can be troublesome. Your mileage will vary.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 3 Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks MrBobb - I'll give it a go!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page