Tearing my hair out... please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope somebody can help me out here.

I have looked at pages and pages of info tring to find a definitive answer to my problem.

I have a HTPC which until now I have output my video feed to my Panasonic plasma directly and used SPDIF onborad sound for all my audio needs including DD & DTS soundtracks using Power DVD 11 Ultra with good effect.

Recently was wanting to get a soundcard to take advantage of the lossless HD audio formats that Blu Ray etc offer. After some investgation I learned that my AMD HD6950 video card could do this over HDMI for me. SO went about connecting the HDMI cable directly from the video card to the HDMI input on my Onkyp SR805 reciever.

Thsi is where I have come undone. For the life of me after selecting the ATI HDMI sound device from the available devices it tells me that the device only supports 2 channel audio. No matter what options I anable in PowerDVD it only outputs 2ch stereo even though PowerDVD shows that it is outputting DTS-HD. The Reciever only shows stereo and HDMI Through on the display.

I have come across this problem in other websites that I have seen today but a solution was given. I hope that you knowledgeable chaps can shed some light on this problem for me.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 56
uninstall those realtek drivers and install proper drivers from amd.com
Getting drivers from the manufacturer will include the hd audio drivers.

Bitstreaming HD formats requires the speaker count in Control Panel | Sound to be set to 'stereo'

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

AMD don't seem to have a separate audio driver to download. They have a system called " catalyst " which is a dashboard type utility which has all the settings for video, display drivers etc etc but nothing about sound. This is now at the latest version.
post #4 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 06:15 PM

Liked: 11
DUDE!!!

Set the AVR to NOT OUTPUT OR PASS AUDIO THROUGH IT'S HDMI OUTPUT

What is happening is the video card HDA device determines it's chan count based on the EDID data read from the TV and the TV reports 2 channels as it only has two speakers. This logic is fixable in AVR firmware but a lot of receivers behave this way unfortunately.

You don't need to mess around with any drivers you'll just screw it up! (well it looks like you have both ATI/AMD and Realtek drivers installed at the same time)

To get TrueHD/DTS-HD in PowerDVD you need to start playing a blu ray and as the transport is sending the stream you then open the PowerDVD options and like magic in the audio section the drop down will show the option to pass the lossless audio format.

It doesn't appear until you do that. Stupid Cyberlink UI.

If your competent enough I can tell you where in the reg this setting is made.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

another thread gone to hell. thanks to solid state.

To the original poster - the audio drivers are included in the catalyst driver suite.

post #6 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM

You can also run into difficulties IF you install BOTH the AMD/ATI HDA driver AND the Realtek one AT THE SAME TIME.

Give me a complete rundown on your system and what your trying to do including the software etc and I'll get it working for ya.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

another thread gone to hell. thanks to solid state.

To the original poster - the audio drivers are included in the catalyst driver suite.

Why are you attacking me fellow BCer! I just gave excellent advice!

Also if you looked at his screenshot's you'd realize he's installed the Realtek drivers for the AMD/ATI "HDMI Audio Device" as it shows a picture of the HDMI port in the Realtek control panel. If he was using the driver including with the cat package it wouldn't show there. The default boxed behavior for the cat installer is to install the HDMI audio device.

Thus he has both drivers installed over each other and they both have same device ID and other stuff... thus totally screwing it up.

I'm helping with great advice what are you doing Shark007 other than unwarrantably busting my balls.

BTW I've been a k-lite user and I figure I'll try your codec pack out. I hear it's one of the best available.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Shark already mentioned to uninstall the realtek drivers first thing. Slow down. Take your time. Read all the information before posting. I can see that you have knowledge in these things but nobody wants to be talked down upon.. not even Shark.

post #9 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 PM

Sorry I didn't mean to talk down anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

uninstall those realtek drivers and install proper drivers from amd.com
Getting drivers from the manufacturer will include the hd audio drivers.

Bitstreaming HD formats requires the speaker count in Control Panel | Sound to be set to 'stereo'

This is news to me. I've always set mine to 5.1 with full range speakers so it doesn't apply any kinda LFE processing. That's handled by the AVR. Perhaps the LFE processing being enabled by not setting the speakers to "large" causes you to have to set it to stereo? The chan count setting for the AMD HDMI Output setting in the windows core audio API affects the decision making of apps like PowerDVD in determining a 2.0, 5.1 or 7.1 playback I thought.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-08-2012, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

DUDE!!!

Set the AVR to NOT OUTPUT OR PASS AUDIO THROUGH IT'S HDMI OUTPUT

What is happening is the video card HDA device determines it's chan count based on the EDID data read from the TV and the TV reports 2 channels as it only has two speakers. This logic is fixable in AVR firmware but a lot of receivers behave this way unfortunately.

You don't need to mess around with any drivers you'll just screw it up! (well it looks like you have both ATI/AMD and Realtek drivers installed at the same time)

To get TrueHD/DTS-HD in PowerDVD you need to start playing a blu ray and as the transport is sending the stream you then open the PowerDVD options and like magic in the audio section the drop down will show the option to pass the lossless audio format.

It doesn't appear until you do that. Stupid Cyberlink UI.

If your competent enough I can tell you where in the reg this setting is made.

DUDE!!!

You da MAN !!!!

Thank you very much for your great advice and to the other members that have added their thoughts to the matter.

I have followed Solid State's advice to the letter and hey presto done.

I suppose there is no need now for a stand alone sound card?

Solid State if you don't mind would you be okay if I pass on your post to other people on other forums that have the same issue as I am sure it would be of great benefit to them as well?

Thanks guys over and out.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. Welcome to the world of HD audio. I can't believe the difference.

Couple of questions.

I'd it normal for the DTS HD master soundtrack to not be as loud as the standard DTS track? Just seems I need to crank it up a lot more compared to normal.

Is there any way to set the hd audio settings in Powerdvd? Each time I exit the program and play new media I have to play around with the audio settings to get to decode correctly.

What other best alternatives would you guys suggest other than PowerDvd? The one thing that I don't like about it is that I can't seem to able to assign a thumbnail image to MKV files listed in the directory. Naturally HD audio facilities would be required.

Thanks a lot.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

dts-HD tracks often have a -10dB offset in audio output.

post #13 of 21 Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtione View Post

What other best alternatives would you guys suggest other than PowerDvd? The one thing that I don't like about it is that I can't seem to able to assign a thumbnail image to MKV files listed in the directory. Naturally HD audio facilities would be required.

Thanks a lot.

Glad to hear you got PowerDVD working.
My earlier response was focussed on your system, not the player.

To use the either of the builtin players such as Windows Media Player, Media Center or any other Directshow player for that matter, you will need to install proper drivers from amd 1st and then directshow codecs such as those offered in my signature. Using these codecs will also provide proper thumbnails in Windows Explorer and within the players Library views.

post #14 of 21 Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

This is news to me. I've always set mine to 5.1 with full range speakers so it doesn't apply any kinda LFE processing. That's handled by the AVR. Perhaps the LFE processing being enabled by not setting the speakers to "large" causes you to have to set it to stereo? The chan count setting for the AMD HDMI Output setting in the windows core audio API affects the decision making of apps like PowerDVD in determining a 2.0, 5.1 or 7.1 playback I thought.

If you configure your sound device in Windows for anything other than stereo it causes other issues with Media Center playback, like the dreaded error message about files not installed for proper playback or some other such nonsense. Just set your speaker configuration to stereo and you'll be fine. It's irrelevant to the actual sound output since you're using the HDMI output to bitstream the audio to your preamp/processor or receiver. I used to set mine up for 5.1 or 7.1 and it seemed to work fine until it didn't. Setting it back to stereo cured it for good.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-08-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

If you configure your sound device in Windows for anything other than stereo it causes other issues with Media Center playback, like the dreaded error message about files not installed for proper playback or some other such nonsense. Just set your speaker configuration to stereo and you'll be fine. It's irrelevant to the actual sound output since you're using the HDMI output to bitstream the audio to your preamp/processor or receiver. I used to set mine up for 5.1 or 7.1 and it seemed to work fine until it didn't. Setting it back to stereo cured it for good.

OK...

Now you load a game that supports DS3D BUT it won't use all the channels because the API call reports back there is only two speakers....

This isn't magic. If it did that I would want to understand WHY because that's certain not how it was engineered to operate.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-08-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing the multi-purpose HTPC/Gaming Rig is even more to set up then.

post #17 of 21 Old 02-08-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtione View Post

DUDE!!!

You da MAN !!!!

Thank you very much for your great advice and to the other members that have added their thoughts to the matter.

I have followed Solid State's advice to the letter and hey presto done.

I suppose there is no need now for a stand alone sound card?

Solid State if you don't mind would you be okay if I pass on your post to other people on other forums that have the same issue as I am sure it would be of great benefit to them as well?

Thanks guys over and out.

No problem at all!!!

I'm here to help people!!!

Sorry I'm so rough around the edges in how I come across AVS members!!!

And that goes to ALL OF YOU... even the ones that trash me and are rude.

I really want to join and be apart of this community as we all have so much in common.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

OK...

Now you load a game that supports DS3D BUT it won't use all the channels because the API call reports back there is only two speakers....

This isn't magic. If it did that I would want to understand WHY because that's certain not how it was engineered to operate.

Who said anything about gaming? The topic is HTPCs using PowerDVD so try and keep up with the rest of the class. I'm not making this stuff up. It's been documented numerous times here and over at the Green Button forums. If you're bitstreaming audio via HDMI it would seem logical that it shouldn't make any difference what you have configured as your speaker settings since you're not using the speaker outputs, yet there it is. I've tried setting the speaker configuration to 5.1 and 7.1 and eventually Media Center starts giving you error messages and refuses to play back recorded TV or various other formats. Set it back to stereo and all is right with the world once again.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-10-2012, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thx again everybody for you help and input. I have been through most of my Blu Ray collection now looking to see which ones have DTS HD sound tracks to check out.

My music discs are my favourites. I recently bought Adele live at the royal Albert hall. The HD track really pops compared to the standard one.

Really chuffed that my system has a new lease of live thanks to you forum members.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As far as installing the AMD HDMI Audio driver... when you run their installer and it asks do you want a simple or advanced installation, go for the advanced. It will query your system for what is installed and report version numbers as well. Then you can tell what's there and decide which components you may want to update. It's in that list of component drivers that you'll see their HDMI Audio driver whereas you may not have had it installed under the "simple" install option.
post #21 of 21 Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

As far as installing the AMD HDMI Audio driver... when you run their installer and it asks do you want a simple or advanced installation, go for the advanced. It will query your system for what is installed and report version numbers as well. Then you can tell what's there and decide which components you may want to update. It's in that list of component drivers that you'll see their HDMI Audio driver whereas you may not have had it installed under the "simple" install option.

Great advice/point Andrew!

I would also like to share a post I made on another forum that might be related to some extent...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...oot-cimv2.html

WMI and performance counter and it's DCOM server might be causing AMD/ATI users a LOT OF HEADACHES!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2545227

I would also rebuild the performance counters with an admin level shell and "lodctr /r" at the prompt AFTER applying the fixit.

I have a real feeling that a LOT of problems with ATI/AMD are related to what I link to above. I suggest to anyone having issues to install the fixit and rebuild the performance counters and disable hotkeys via CCC UI and then set AMD events service to manual.

PS the WMI Event ID 10 "//./root/CIMV2 problem happens to EVERY installation of windows 7 and needs to be fixed with fixit or the VB script on the site.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page