Doing this made me realize my "main" htpc is actually the oldest system I have (I prefer to play with new hardware on lesser used machines). My home is just a big mutt, mix of 32 and 64bit, SSD and mechanical, HD audio and TV speakers. I also added rackmount to form factor
. Usable and upgradeable is different than how long I actually expect to use this machine!
Edit - You could always try to make a google spreadsheet and embed it into the site and let people just fill that out.
1. What operating system do you use?
a. Windows 7 32 bitb. Windows 7 64 bit
c. Windows XP
d. Mac OS
2. What platform do you prefer?
a. AMD CPU with integrated GPU (i.e. Llano with 3D capability)
b. Intel CPU with integrated GPU (i.e. Sandy Bridge with 3D)
c. Intel CPU with integrated GPU (i.e. Sandy Bridge without 3D)d. AMD CPU with discrete ATI graphics card
e. AMD CPU with discrete NVidia graphics card
f. Intel CPU with discrete ATI graphics card
g. Intel CPU with discrete NVidia graphics card
h. Other AMD
i. Other Intel
3. How much RAM do you use?
b. 2GBc. 4GB
4. Do you use a SSD for your OS?
a. Yes, SATAII
b. Yes, SATAIIIc. No
5. How much storage do you have internally in your main HTPC?a. 30-64GB for OS mainly
c. 500GB - 1TB
d. 1TB - 2TB
e. 2TB - 3TB
f. 3TB - 4TB
g. More than 4TB
5. How much storage do you have connected via your network, server or NAS to your main HTPC?
b. 500GB - 1TB
c. 1TB - 2TB
d. 2TB - 3TB
e. 3TB - 4TB
f. 4TB - 8TB
g. 8TB - 12TBh. 12TB - 20TB
i. 20TB - 30TB
j. More than 30TB
6. What do you use as your front end (more than one answer is allowed for this question)?
b. WMC + Media Browser
f. My Moviesg. Media Portal
7. Is bitstreaming HD Audio important to you?a. Yes
8. What size HTPC do you use?
c. Full ATXd. Rackmount
9. Do you have an optical drive in your main HTPC?
a. Yes, bluray
b. Yes, DVDc. No
10. How is your HTPC connected to your network/internet?a. Wired
b. USB Wireless
c. PCI/PCI-e Wireless
d. Its not connected
11. How large is your PSU?
a. 60-80 watts
b. 80-120 wattsc. 120-380 watts
d. 380-450 watts
e. 450-600 watts
f. More than 600 watts
12. Do you use your HTPC as a DVR?
a. Yes, with a cablecard deviceb. Yes, with a OTA tuner device
13. What was the total cost of the hardware (excluding the OS) for your main HTPC?a. $300 or less
b. $300 - $400
c. $400 - $500
d. $500 - $600
e. $600 - $800
f. $800 - $1000
g. $1000 - $1500
h. More than $1500
14. Do you do gaming on your HTPC?
a. Yes, emulator (non-intensive graphics) gaming only
b. Yes, including modern intensive graphics gamingc. No, none at all
15. How long do you expect that your HTPC hardware will remain "usable" and "upgradeable"?a. 1-2 years
b. 2-3 years
c. 3-4 years
d. 4-5 years
e. 5-10 years