Blu-Ray ISO and PowerDVD problem - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > Blu-Ray ISO and PowerDVD problem

Home Theater Computers

lordvice's Avatar lordvice
05:09 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 18
02-08-2012 | Posts: 22
Hi guys,

Long time lurker (unregistered), first time poster. I hope I am posting this in the right forum. I would kindly ask a moderator to please move the thread if it is in the wrong forum. Thanks .

On to the question!

I recently ripped my Harry Potter boxed set and only the first disc in my star wars boxed set. I used AnyDVD 6.8.9.0 to do the rips of the discs and ripped them as an image to the hard drive. I believe when I did the ripping I left the "keep protection" box ticked. To play the ISOs I am using virtual clone drive (I was using 5.4.4.0, but I just upgraded last night to 5.4.5.0) and PowerDVD version 11.0.2408.53.

Now to the exact issue.

The only ISO that works is Harry Potter part 1. All the other Harry Potter ISOs mount and PowerDVD "plays" them. By "plays" I mean I get a black screen and the time bar at the bottom is scrolling along like its playing the menu, but I get nothing else. For Star Wars episode 1 I get the "unsupported disc inserted" error.

The only difference I have noticed is that on Harry Potter part 1, there is a folder titled ANY! on the ISO, and on all the other ISOs that folder is titled AACS. The content of the folders is not different. The ANY! folder appears on Harry Potter part 1 weather or not AnyDVD is running.

Oh yeah, OS is Win 7 x64 Ultimate.

What do I have to do to get these working? TIA Guys!
10:05 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 18
02-08-2012 | Posts: 22
Anyone?
rockytt's Avatar rockytt
12:05 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 1,817
Well, that's what I would see when I had an HDCP issue.
Did you try ripping and removing the protection instead of leaving it in place?
06:42 AM Liked: 10
post #4 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt View Post

Well, that's what I would see when I had an HDCP issue.
Did you try ripping and removing the protection instead of leaving it in place?

I didn't. Or I don't think I did. Let me give that a try and report back. It will take at least an hour to re-rip the blu-ray.

edit: well this is curious. when I untick the "keep protection" box, it tells me the drive is not ready. if I leave it checked it will rip the blu-ray. Suggestions?
Postmoderndesign's Avatar Postmoderndesign
07:44 AM Liked: 32
post #5 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 1,115
.iso created with AnyDVD and the "Keep Protection" box unchecked and mounted with Clone Drive always works fine for me.

My earlier release Potter blu-rays are ripped to .mkv and that worked.

The only thing I can think of is that I understand some Blu-ray drive do not allow ripping. Perhaps it is your drive. But if you have past success in ripping with that drive this in probably not the issue.
rockytt's Avatar rockytt
01:09 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 18
02-09-2012 | Posts: 1,817
Just for kicks, you might also give ClownBD a whirl. If you're going to the trouble of ripping to disc, you might as well get rid of all that extra fluff that's on the BD anyway...
04:59 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt View Post

Just for kicks, you might also give ClownBD a whirl. If you're going to the trouble of ripping to disc, you might as well get rid of all that extra fluff that's on the BD anyway...

I don't want to remove the extra fluff, hence the reason I am creating the ISO.
05:01 PM Liked: 10
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

.iso created with AnyDVD and the "Keep Protection" box unchecked and mounted with Clone Drive always works fine for me.

My earlier release Potter blu-rays are ripped to .mkv and that worked.

The only thing I can think of is that I understand some Blu-ray drive do not allow ripping. Perhaps it is your drive. But if you have past success in ripping with that drive this in probably not the issue.

They rip fine with the protection box ticked. dvdfab rips them fine (doing a test rip right now to see if the ISO will play). I find it very odd that only one of them works and the rest do not. Unfortunately I cannot remember exactly what I did to make the one that works, work. Hopefully the dvdfab ISO will work. Will report back in about 30 min when that is done.
05:54 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 18
did a test rip of harry potter 7 part 2 using dvdfab, the iso mounts and plays fine. this problem is clearly some sort of software issue with anyDVD
Roussi's Avatar Roussi
11:11 AM Liked: 23
post #10 of 18
02-10-2012 | Posts: 571
I believe the ANY! folder means this one was ripped without the protection, so it works as expected.
I've never tried to play an ISO with protection, so I cannot advise on the other ones, but my bet is that PDVD cannot play them due to the protection. Make sure you have AnyDVD on when you open the ISO.
Speqtre's Avatar Speqtre
11:42 AM Liked: 10
post #11 of 18
02-10-2012 | Posts: 596
I've had so many issues with PDVD 11 and ISOs, I finally gave up and got playback software that just works without all the stupid BS - WinDVD10 Pro - cheap, simple, and no 110MB 'patches'.

Try it, you'll see what I mean.
mcantu1's Avatar mcantu1
02:11 PM Liked: 12
post #12 of 18
02-10-2012 | Posts: 471
are you the guy whose similar thread was closed over at slysoft for using a cracked 2 year old version of anydvd?
05:00 PM Liked: 10
post #13 of 18
02-10-2012 | Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

are you the guy whose similar thread was closed over at slysoft for using a cracked 2 year old version of anydvd?

No. Although I do have a thread open over there and it is not closed and I am not using a cracked version of the software. I also do not appreciate the allegation.
mcantu1's Avatar mcantu1
05:02 PM Liked: 12
post #14 of 18
02-10-2012 | Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvice View Post

No. Although I do have a thread open over there and it is not closed and I am not using a cracked version of the software. I also do not appreciate the allegation.

looks locked to me...http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=52059
05:05 PM Liked: 10
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post

I believe the ANY! folder means this one was ripped without the protection, so it works as expected.
I've never tried to play an ISO with protection, so I cannot advise on the other ones, but my bet is that PDVD cannot play them due to the protection. Make sure you have AnyDVD on when you open the ISO.

That's what I was thinking, unfortunately since I did the rip so long ago I can't remember if I ticked the box or not.
05:05 PM Liked: 10
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speqtre View Post

I've had so many issues with PDVD 11 and ISOs, I finally gave up and got playback software that just works without all the stupid BS - WinDVD10 Pro - cheap, simple, and no 110MB 'patches'.

Try it, you'll see what I mean.

I downloaded the trial of WinDVD10 and tried to mount the same ISOs that I was having problems with before starting this thread. It would not play them either. Nor would TMT5. They are bad rips, for whatever reason.

I also did a re-rip of star wars episode 1 the phantom menace last night using dvdfab. after mounting the ISO with or without anydvd running it plays fine, I will try to re-rip a movie with anydvd later and see if it works or not.
05:08 PM Liked: 10
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantu1 View Post

looks locked to me...http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=52059

EDIT: I have cleared things up with Frank, the support rep and he re-opened the thread on the anydvd forum . As I said, I do not appreciate the allegation, but I know you were just looking out for what is best for anydvd.
03:39 PM Liked: 10
post #18 of 18
02-11-2012 | Posts: 22
What does everyone prefer for their blu ray playback via a pc?

I tried demos of windvd10 and tmt5. My computer came with powerdvd, but if there is something better please let me know .
Reply Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread