Mfusick's New HTPC Build !!! (Pictures included) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Here is another PC I built at the same time.

it is based on a 2500k and a 6850 card. Asus Z68 with 16mb DDR3.

One step down on just about everything... but a super nice PC for under $800.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok. Everyone said my old PC was huge.

It was a 10 BAY thermaltake Armor FULL TOWER.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...7&ID=1405#Tab2

Now,

The new coolermaster COSMOS II makes it look like a little inadequate child

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dude...that's frackin' AWESOME !!!!

Can you hear the Movies over all the Fan Noise? If you're watching "Black Hawk Down", you may not know which one is the chopper!

Still...it's pretty sweet, I guess you're maxxing out some Gaming with those cards as well.

Regards,
Paul
Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E. Fox, II View Post

Dude...that's frackin' AWESOME !!!!

Can you hear the Movies over all the Fan Noise? If you're watching "Black Hawk Down", you may not know which one is the chopper!

Still...it's pretty sweet, I guess you're maxxing out some Gaming with those cards as well.

Thanks man!

It is actually the quietest PC I have ever owned.

I am not joking.

I might post a youtube video with SPL meter because no one would believe me.

I can turn down the fans. They are basically silent on low mode. Quieter than the SSD based 2500k machine I built with a single stock intel cooler.

Plus,

The PC is not in the same room as my theater

-

Old 02-11-2012, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Pretty, now that is an HTPC you can game on. I'm watching the upcoming HD 7750 card at the moment, as I'm thinking a low-power mATX HTPC with gaming potential - but I'll probably wait out for ivy bridge as well, then Win 8 will be just around the corner... I think the Core 2 laptop with a HD3450 mobile will have to do for another 6 months.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:51 PM

holy thermal paste.

nice build though.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Wow, no one can accuse you of cutting corners!!!

Really enjoyed all the pics also....looks like you dont do anything half way!

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcutshall View Post

holy thermal paste.

nice build though.

Yeah. lol. Stuff makes a mess too. I ended cleaning that up a bit after I finished the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Pretty, now that is an HTPC you can game on. I'm watching the upcoming HD 7750 card at the moment, as I'm thinking a low-power mATX HTPC with gaming potential - but I'll probably wait out for ivy bridge as well, then Win 8 will be just around the corner... I think the Core 2 laptop with a HD3450 mobile will have to do for another 6 months.

I stole the video cards. New Egg had them for $129 each. Not a bad card at all for that price.

I will probably upgrade late in the year when the prices come down. The value spot is in the good, but not cutting edge stuff. You get the best bang for you buck. I doubt I could have better graphics for only $260 anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Wow, no one can accuse you of cutting corners!!!

Really enjoyed all the pics also....looks like you dont do anything half way!

lol. Thanks man. Yeah.. I definitely favor EXCESS. Too much is almost enough for most things. This case was absolutely designed with this in mind.

I was also looking at an Asrock Xtreme9 with 12 SATA ports and 6 SATA III's but it seemed too expensive to go with a LGA2011 build.

Once I learned there will be a new socket to support IVY I decided to wait. This PC will become my office daily driver when I decided to upgrade.

My Next step will be to build home server and a micro ATX based HTPC for another room to network into. My budget for that is about $300 so it will probably be Asrock LGA1155 Micro ATX w/ Sandy G620 in a cheap case and 60GB SSD.

-

Old 02-12-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Yeah. lol. Stuff makes a mess too. I ended cleaning that up a bit after I finished the pic.

I stole the video cards. New Egg had them for $129 each. Not a bad card at all for that price.

I will probably upgrade late in the year when the prices come down. The value spot is in the good, but not cutting edge stuff. You get the best bang for you buck. I doubt I could have better graphics for only $260 anywhere.

lol. Thanks man. Yeah.. I definitely favor EXCESS. Too much is almost enough for most things. This case was absolutely designed with this in mind.

I was also looking at an Asrock Xtreme9 with 12 SATA ports and 6 SATA III's but it seemed too expensive to go with a LGA2011 build.

Once I learned there will be a new socket to support IVY I decided to wait. This PC will become my office daily driver when I decided to upgrade.

My Next step will be to build home server and a micro ATX based HTPC for another room to network into. My budget for that is about $300 so it will probably be Asrock LGA1155 Micro ATX w/ Sandy G620 in a cheap case and 60GB SSD.

I built my newest HTPC using a A4-3400 with an inexpensive nmedia htpc case for about $250...but I used a regular HD...my mistake...so a ssd swap is in the future for that soon.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I built my newest HTPC using a A4-3400 with an inexpensive nmedia htpc case for about $250...but I used a regular HD...my mistake...so a ssd swap is in the future for that soon.

I am thinking an LGA1155 Asrock Mobo ($70ish)
G620 CPU $69
$39 case. Some mushkin 8GB DDR for $39

I have a spare extra SSD... so the build is totally reasonable for $300

And,

Yes upgrade to SSD.

Normal HDD's should be against the law for installation of an OS.

-

Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
"Probably a bit much for a HTPC"

Probably a bit much for even a gaming machine. There is no reason to go above core i5 right now even with a $300 plus graphics card. I've heard that a lot of current games can't address more than 4 gigs of ram so 8 gigs is high end right now.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't swap the spiny drive for a SSD, add a SSD and keep the spiny drive for all your data. If you can only fit one or the other in your case I would rather have the spiny drive myself.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Very nice machine...but yeah, WAY overkill for htpc. Since you built that bit lesser one as well, I would use the nice i7 one for desktop and make that lesser one HTPC as it would work every bit as good.

Outside of the obvious overkill, which obviously nothing wrong with if thats what you want and know HTPC will work just as well with far less, 2 things really stand out to me....well maybe 3.

1) Holy thermal grease! that comment is exactly what I thought too! haha. You do have WAY to much on there. Thermal grease is one of those things that just enough is best and more is def not better, but actually worse. Just a SMALL grain of rice sized dab is all you need, and with the thinner stuff like AS5, no need to even spread it as it will do it on its own when you attach the HS. If you ever take the HS off for anything thus need to re-apply, dont use so much next time!

2) All the fans....for HTPC, my aim would be using the fewest fans possible and make the cooling as passive as you can....even if it meant running the rig on the warm side. Unlike a desktop where you may want to run it as cool as possible, an HTPC I want as quiet as I could possibly get it. I dont care how much higher the temps are vs how low you could get them, so long as the temps are kept within the spec.

3) I call this a maybe since it's a highly subjective personal preference thing...the lit PSU, lit fans, etc. I want my TV as the focus, not all the purty lights on the computer.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post

2) All the fans...

My experience with fans is that the main thing is you have to be able to control fan speed. The way to get the noise down is to drop the rpm's. I'm a little upset at my new asrock mobo because it sucks at controlling cpu and case fan speed compared to my MSI boards. I can get an external controller for the case fan but not safely for the cpu.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Very nice machine...but yeah, WAY overkill for htpc. Since you built that bit lesser one as well, I would use the nice i7 one for desktop and make that lesser one HTPC as it would work every bit as good.

I actually built (5) LGA1155 machines in last 30 days. The lesser 2500k CPU machine is for the office. (My partner and I game at work some times)

I built a very nice Asrock H61 with a G620 for the office I was super impressed with. It totally owns EXCEL, WORD and PDF's. (We do lots with this) Our book keeper runs it with dual monitors. The best PC I think possible for under $300. Totally a nice machine.

The set up in my home just allows me to use my main daily driver PC as a HTCP. It's not in the same room- but the range of the wireless keyboard and mouse remote operates it just fine. Since all the storage is on this machine anyways it just makes sense in my set up. It's not about using another PC. I even have a spare PC if I needed a HTPC in that room- but reality is that performance is just best using the BIGBOY. All it requires is the HDMI cable to the Onkyo receiver.

I will be building a $300 budget HTPC on LGA1155 very soon- but this will be for the living room.

I don't use this PC because I have to do it. I use it for HTPC because it performs best and my set up just makes it make sense. I can't justify another PC to replace it- even if it is overkill. I spend lots of time on it in the office using it for PC duties so it's on double duty

Quote:

1) Holy thermal grease! that comment is exactly what I thought too! haha. You do have WAY to much on there. Thermal grease is one of those things that just enough is best and more is def not better, but actually worse. Just a SMALL grain of rice sized dab is all you need, and with the thinner stuff like AS5, no need to even spread it as it will do it on its own when you attach the HS. If you ever take the HS off for anything thus need to re-apply, dont use so much next time!

Yup. I know. I said earlier I cleaned it up and thinned it before I installed the cooler after that photo was taken. The clump in the middle kinda squirted out by accident. I removed it and just spread what was left around. It came out ok.

I actually scraped it off and put it on the other CPU as I did not want to waste it.... lol.

Quote:

2) All the fans....for HTPC, my aim would be using the fewest fans possible and make the cooling as passive as you can....even if it meant running the rig on the warm side. Unlike a desktop where you may want to run it as cool as possible, an HTPC I want as quiet as I could possibly get it. I dont care how much higher the temps are vs how low you could get them, so long as the temps are kept within the spec.

First- again it is not in the same room. So sound is not an issue. If this was right next to me, overclocked, with all the Fans on HIGH speed I can totally see what your saying. I would make the same assumption you are; and I totally agree with what your saying. It's just a non factor in my set up being in a different room. Basically the PC has a room and closet all to itself

Second- I said earlier it's not really a HTPC. It's an enthusiast level PC and daily driver- that just also does HTPC duties. I did not build it just for HTPC. I built it cause I like PC's and I use it for encoding, ripping, gaming, and just about everything a PC enthusiast would use a PC for. For HTPC alone it's way more than you need. It's probably more than you need for the other stuff I do... lol.

I currently have two G620's, a 2500k and a 2600k, as well as an LGA775 E8500 core2Duo, and two Socket 939's X2's. I could use any of them for HTPC but it just makes sense to use my main machine because of it's location.

I don't mind the extra OOMPH and power

Last, This PC has fan controls. I can turn off every fan and turn down the CPU fan to almost nothing in BIOS. The case is pretty sweet with integrated fan controllers. On Low- it is honestly the quietest PC I have ever owned. The case does and excellent job of sound absorbing and isolation. It's a massive case.

I only crank it up to high setting when I am overclocked- or doing some intensive stuff. I have different profiles set up- and the PC restarts in about 8 seconds-

When I am in quiet mode (if I choose it) it's the quietest PC I have every owned. It's quieter than the 2500K machine I posted up top with only SSD, one fan and on energy mode setting in BIOS. I will SPL meter a youtube video because honestly no one would believe me unless they see it.

Quote:

3) I call this a maybe since it's a highly subjective personal preference thing...the lit PSU, lit fans, etc. I want my TV as the focus, not all the purty lights on the computer.

Again not in the same room. And not on display. Once the case is closed you can't see much of anything. I just had those so I installed them to mess around because it was fun.

This PC lives in a dedicated PC closet of sorts. It's in a ventilated cabinet under my side desk- easy to access but out of the way. It's totally hidden and quiet most of the time. The back is open.. but the front and sides are closed.

I really can't hear or see this PC ever unless I take it out. I am putting it on a small roller platform for ease of use in this. This PC weights 100 pounds!

-

Old 02-12-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

My experience with fans is that the main thing is you have to be able to control fan speed. The way to get the noise down is to drop the rpm's. I'm a little upset at my new asrock mobo because it sucks at controlling cpu and case fan speed compared to my MSI boards. I can get an external controller for the case fan but not safely for the cpu.

YES !!!!

YES and YES !!!

Your so right.

20 fans on very low, assuming they are new fans, are very, very quiet !

On a large case like this- where air flow is very well engineered, thoughtout and well designed- the cooling is top notch with almost no sound. Check out the benchmarks for this case with no extra fans as stock- you will find it's top performing already.

I honestly will probably never have the fans on higher than LOW setting ever because even at 4.5Ghz the temps were totally under control. I can't see myself pushing my clock speed much more- I am not going for a world record.

My benchmark was already about 15% higher than what I have seen for 2600k CPU's and I was not even all the way juiced up yet.

There is a wall of diminishing returns where only reliability is sacrificed. I don't want to hit that wall.

-

Old 02-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

YES !!!!

YES and YES !!!

Your so right.

20 fans on very low, assuming they are new fans, are very, very quiet !

On a large case like this- where air flow is very well engineered, thoughtout and well designed- the cooling is top notch with almost no sound. Check out the benchmarks for this case with no extra fans as stock- you will find it's top performing already.

I honestly will probably never have the fans on higher than LOW setting ever because even at 4.5Ghz the temps were totally under control. I can't see myself pushing my clock speed much more- I am not going for a world record.

My benchmark was already about 15% higher than what I have seen for 2600k CPU's and I was not even all the way juiced up yet.

There is a wall of diminishing returns where only reliability is sacrificed. I don't want to hit that wall.

Do you recall what the temps were in that situation? I only ask as I'm curious...and I'm fighting some heat in my current build.

Regards,
Paul
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I wouldn't trust high wattage Rosewill PSUs. Should have gone with a Corsair or Seasonic modular PSU. Also would have gone for a full ATX motherboard, and a 6950. But it's a nice build overall. Good job.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Cool build. I just recently read about that case in Maximum PC and was impressed. Looks like you have a solid PC for a few years to come!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you recall what the temps were in that situation? I only ask as I'm curious...and I'm fighting some heat in my current build.

Depends on the core measured. Between 28 and 39 celcius.

I think that is like 80-100 F but I forget the exact conversion.

I had to really beat it up to get it past 40 degrees Celcius, my CPU cooler is pretty good. There is certainly enough cool air in my case.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5B...212_evo_review

-

Old 02-12-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrak76 View Post

Cool build. I just recently read about that case in Maximum PC and was impressed. Looks like you have a solid PC for a few years to come!

I saw a few reviews of it- but not the maximum PC one. I might check it out.

Thanks.

-

Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

I wouldn't trust high wattage Rosewill PSUs. Should have gone with a Corsair or Seasonic modular PSU. Also would have gone for a full ATX motherboard, and a 6950. But it's a nice build overall. Good job.

lol. Made at the same plant. Same thing. Notice the cords are the same cords that come with the Corsair or Seasonic?

Rosewill does not MFG them. They just brand and market it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...urer,2913.html

A good read if your interested:

Also- Corsair as you mentioned does not do it's own production either. They design but do not MFG or build them.

Here is a solid review of the ROSEWILL if you want to know:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=258

Take it apart..

And you see:

lo and behold! We have here a Super Flower Golden Green 1300W! The only real visual difference between this unit and that other one is the color of the heatsinks!

-

Old 02-12-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

Also would have gone for a full ATX motherboard, and a 6950. But it's a nice build overall. Good job.

lol. LMAO.

I have a full ATX motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131791

It just looks small because this PC CASE is so FACKING HUGE !!!!!

Also,

6950 = $300

Two 6870's = $260

Sometimes two is better than one.

-

Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Lowest Core was 26 degrees and highest was 36 degrees while OCed @ 4.6ghz and encoding a movie.

Hope that helps.

What issue are you having with your PC?

What components do you have?

-

Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Nice and interesting build. You are doing about the exact opposite of what I want to do for my next desktop build (by going with a monster case, I mean).

I am debating waiting on Ivy or going with a i5 Sandy build.

I am planning on something a little smaller. This thread and this site has really inspired me.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Nice and interesting build. You are doing about the exact opposite of what I want to do for my next desktop build (by going with a monster case, I mean).

I am debating waiting on Ivy or going with a i5 Sandy build.

I am planning on something a little smaller. This thread and this site has really inspired me.

ivy bridge is suppose to hit april 1st ish, not long to wait for the latest and greatest.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

ivy bridge is suppose to hit april 1st ish, not long to wait for the latest and greatest.

Yeah, that's why I keep putting it off. Well, that and the fact that there is nothing wrong with my current quad core desktop other than it being an energy hog.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lowest Core was 26 degrees and highest was 36 degrees while OCed @ 4.6ghz and encoding a movie.

Hope that helps.

What issue are you having with your PC?

What components do you have?

My temps are just a little higher than I think they should be and the system is still new, so I'm a little cautious.

I was converting some media last night, nothing I thought would be too strenous...just audio from a higher to lower bit-rate...and the temps were hitting 50c. It normally cruises right at 38c.

I have the nMedia 6000B case and I've never been really impressed with it's interior design or air flow capabilities. Coming from the Antec Fusion Remote case has me spoiled. I thought the PSU was venting hot air into the case so we got out the drill, redrilled the case and flipped the PSE 180 degrees (there are a bunch of pictures in my post in the Assassin Thread) and I was hopefully that would drop me down a bit more than it did.

I'm also just running the Stock Cooler that came with the CPU (Core i5 2500K) and could easily enough install a different cooler.

All this being said, I'm probably just being overly cautious...it's never been any higher than the initial 52c that I noted the first night I booted it.

I just envy the 28c temps I'm seeing upstairs in the recycled Antec case with my old Quad 9550.

Those temps you're posting are pretty impressive but heck...with all those fans I would think you'd actually need to install a Warmer to keep the thing running.

Regards,
Paul
Old 02-12-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But if you go LGA1155 which most would... you can always upgrade your CPU with IVY ...

I probably would do that in a year time...

a 2600k should still sell for good money second hand on ebay... or I could use it in another PC.

-

Old 02-12-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My temps are just a little higher than I think they should be and the system is still new, so I'm a little cautious.

I was converting some media last night, nothing I thought would be too strenous...just audio from a higher to lower bit-rate...and the temps were hitting 50c. It normally cruises right at 38c.

I have the nMedia 6000B case and I've never been really impressed with it's interior design or air flow capabilities. Coming from the Antec Fusion Remote case has me spoiled. I thought the PSU was venting hot air into the case so we got out the drill, redrilled the case and flipped the PSE 180 degrees (there are a bunch of pictures in my post in the Assassin Thread) and I was hopefully that would drop me down a bit more than it did.

I'm also just running the Stock Cooler that came with the CPU (Core i5 2500K) and could easily enough install a different cooler.

All this being said, I'm probably just being overly cautious...it's never been any higher than the initial 52c that I noted the first night I booted it.

I just envy the 28c temps I'm seeing upstairs in the recycled Antec case with my old Quad 9550.

Those temps you're posting are pretty impressive but heck...with all those fans I would think you'd actually need to install a Warmer to keep the thing running.

Keep in mind I am at 4.6ghz

But yeah you sound a little high. I would just upgrade the cooler.

What kind of room do you have?

Could you install a few small low speed case fans ?

Also note the size of my CPU cooler. It's not a stock by any means. For $35 it's a steal based on performance but it won't work in small cases.

There is many that will. Can you fit a Noctua ?

-