post #91 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

But if you go LGA1155 which most would... you can always upgrade your CPU with IVY ...

I probably would do that in a year time...

a 2600k should still sell for good money second hand on ebay... or I could use it in another PC.

You MAY be able to upgrade. I wouldn't count on every board being 100% upgradeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

You MAY be able to upgrade. I wouldn't count on every board being 100% upgradeable.

a GEN3 Asus or Asrock Z68 should be ok- Even the intel guys confirmed this on other forums.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #93 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

a GEN3 Asus or Asrock Z68 should be ok- Even the intel guys confirmed this on other forums.

I hope so. I am a little leery of Intel on this one. Would make more sense to them to make everyone buy everything new.
post #94 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I hope so. I am a little leery of Intel on this one. Would make more sense to them to make everyone buy everything new.

I would just wait. Otherwise LGA1155 Sandy is pretty sweet. Even a 2500K system is pretty kick ass and cheap

My next pc will be the new socket on IVY or whatever the next one is in the TICK TOCK cycle..

I want 12+ SATA ports and 64GB of DDR3 so I can make a 32GB RAM DRIVE.

That would be super sweet.

oh.. it's nice to dream.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #95 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Keep in mind I am at 4.6ghz

But yeah you sound a little high. I would just upgrade the cooler.

What kind of room do you have?

Could you install a few small low speed case fans ?

Also note the size of my CPU cooler. It's not a stock by any means. For $35 it's a steal based on performance but it won't work in small cases.

There is many that will. Can you fit a Noctua ?

I can fit just about anything that isn't just really tall. There is room in the case. Still doing some research.

This is what I installed on the 9550...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103046

That one is discontinued now but I'm sure something similar would work fine...like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103100

Just gotta let the credit card cool off a bit too.

Regards,
Paul
post #96 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E. Fox, II View Post

I can fit just about anything that isn't just really tall. There is room in the case. Still doing some research.

This is what I installed on the 9550...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103046

That one is discontinued now but I'm sure something similar would work fine...like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103100

Just gotta let the credit card cool off a bit too.

I think a cooler upgrade.. perhaps another case fan.. and some good thermal paste and your temps should drop down quite a bit.

Is there an exhaust fan on your case that blows out ?

-

post #97 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think a cooler upgrade.. perhaps another case fan.. and some good thermal paste and your temps should drop down quite a bit.

Is there an exhaust fan on your case that blows out ?

Yeah....I think the two 80mm fans are exhaust fans.

Regards,
Paul
post #98 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah....I think the two 80mm fans are exhaust fans.

Usually having one or two fans blow in.. and one fan blow out is a solid option if possible.

The cool air should blow at the CPU and mobo.. and the exhaust should blow out hot air.. and vent it away.

I am not 100% sure your set up or case though.

Did you use thermal paste? how fast does your fan spin ? RPM ?

-

post #99 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you sure this is an HTPC build?

Chronical Tester
post #100 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Usually having one or two fans blow in.. and one fan blow out is a solid option if possible.

The cool air should blow at the CPU and mobo.. and the exhaust should blow out hot air.. and vent it away.

I am not 100% sure your set up or case though.

Did you use thermal paste? how fast does your fan spin ? RPM ?

I haven't changed the 80mm case fans. They're set from the factory so it's what nMedia set up. I did put a fan Near the HD cage...I may need to re-evaluate that setting.

Regards,
Paul
post #101 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I haven't changed the 80mm case fans. They're set from the factory so it's what nMedia set up. I did put a fan Near the HD cage...I may need to re-evaluate that setting.

I would check that both fans that came with the case are installed correctly and blowing in the same direction. Then I would make sure the fan in the other area blows in the opposite direction.

Like push pull.

Two fans blow in. One fans blows out. If not enough... add another fan blowing out.

The key is to move air in and out of the case... fresh air in... hot air out.

You don't need large loud fans either. A few quiet fans set up properly on the LOW setting and low RPM can cool very well with almost no noise.

Then set your CPU fan after you upgrade it to adjust- You should be able to set it to a certain percent or speed based on current temp- so you can basically achieve the temp you want.

Mine is set to hit full speed at 40 degrees celcius. Only once in a while do I hear it kick up.. most times it at idle speed and perfectly cool.

I bet your fans are both blowing in or something... from opposite directions. That would lower your cooling performance.

-

post #102 of 180 Old 02-12-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah. lol. Stuff makes a mess too. I ended cleaning that up a bit after I finished the pic.

You do realize you are supposed to apply a very thin layer and to the top of the cpu. If you really want to go crazy pick up a cpu lapping kit.
post #103 of 180 Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would check that both fans that came with the case are installed correctly and blowing in the same direction. Then I would make sure the fan in the other area blows in the opposite direction.

Like push pull.

Two fans blow in. One fans blows out. If not enough... add another fan blowing out.

The key is to move air in and out of the case... fresh air in... hot air out.

You don't need large loud fans either. A few quiet fans set up properly on the LOW setting and low RPM can cool very well with almost no noise.

Then set your CPU fan after you upgrade it to adjust- You should be able to set it to a certain percent or speed based on current temp- so you can basically achieve the temp you want.

Mine is set to hit full speed at 40 degrees celcius. Only once in a while do I hear it kick up.. most times it at idle speed and perfectly cool.

I bet your fans are both blowing in or something... from opposite directions. That would lower your cooling performance.

Thanks for the suggestions...I'm going to do some research on some things to make sure I actually know what I'm talking about here.

Also dude...I totally DID NOT mean to derail your thread! My apologies.

Regards,
Paul
post #104 of 180 Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM

Awesome build. Thanks for sharing all the pictures. Was the aftermarket CPU cooler easy to install? I have a 2500k with stock cooler, using auto overclock with Asus EZ BIOS, and am afraid that once I start pushing it the temps will get up there. Never done an aftermarket cooler, so just curious. My case is an Antec 900 with plenty of fans so it should help in the meantime. The CoolerMaster 212 has been dirt cheap as of late, so thinking about picking one up.
post #105 of 180 Old 02-15-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions...I'm going to do some research on some things to make sure I actually know what I'm talking about here.

Also dude...I totally DID NOT mean to derail your thread! My apologies.

It's all good.

Do you know how to check you fan speed with a program or in the bios?

-

post #106 of 180 Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlow007 View Post

Awesome build. Thanks for sharing all the pictures. Was the aftermarket CPU cooler easy to install? I have a 2500k with stock cooler, using auto overclock with Asus EZ BIOS, and am afraid that once I start pushing it the temps will get up there. Never done an aftermarket cooler, so just curious. My case is an Antec 900 with plenty of fans so it should help in the meantime. The CoolerMaster 212 has been dirt cheap as of late, so thinking about picking one up.

Yeah it was not bad.

It comes with a mounting plate that goes behind your motherboard.

If your case does not have access to the back of your motherboard you will need to remove the MB to install the cooler.

Aside from that- it's super easy.

4 screws. They go through the motherboard in the stock holes- into the back plate. Basically it tightens and squeezes the motherboard.

very easy and very effective.

I have the 212EVO. I would get that. It's better than the normal 212+ or other versions of the 212. It is the new version.

That is why the old versions are cheaper now. They are replaced with a better one.

It's really a great cooler for the $$$$. Nothing under $50 can touch it.

I also looked at the Noctua and the FRIOS- but in the end the Coolermaster EVO was actually just as good or better for less money.

$30 is a steal.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5B...212_evo_review

-

post #107 of 180 Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's all good.

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.19-setup.exe

-

post #108 of 180 Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Yeah it was not bad.

It comes with a mounting plate that goes behind your motherboard.

If your case does not have access to the back of your motherboard you will need to remove the MB to install the cooler.

Aside from that- it's super easy.

4 screws. They go through the motherboard in the stock holes- into the back plate. Basically it tightens and squeezes the motherboard.

very easy and very effective.

I have the 212EVO. I would get that. It's better than the normal 212+ or other versions of the 212. It is the new version.

That is why the old versions are cheaper now. They are replaced with a better one.

It's really a great cooler for the $$$$. Nothing under $50 can touch it.

I also looked at the Noctua and the FRIOS- but in the end the Coolermaster EVO was actually just as good or better for less money.

$30 is a steal.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/%5B...212_evo_review

Fantastic. Thanks for the info Mfusick.
post #109 of 180 Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 AM

My Antec 900 is a few years old so it doesn't have the cutout behind the motherboard. Will the bracket that goes on the back side of the motherboard have enough clearance when using typical standoffs? Thanks.
post #110 of 180 Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My Antec 900 is a few years old so it doesn't have the cutout behind the motherboard. Will the bracket that goes on the back side of the motherboard have enough clearance when using typical standoffs? Thanks.

yeah it should work no problem.

I can't see it not being able to install in any set up... it's really easy.

The only issue would be for small cases- if you have enough space for a larger than stock cooler.

This sticks out farther than the stock intel- so it might not work for small cases.

I have a very large case so it fits easy.

-

post #111 of 180 Old 02-18-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Fantastic. Thanks for the info Mfusick.

You can also add a second fan to this - for a push/pull configuration.

I don't seem to need it- but it's easy. Possible. And cheap.

Seems about the best performance for the money overall.

btw- $19.99 now for the 212+ model.

The difference is the faceplate that contacts the CPU.

On the new EVO the faceplate is flatter with more surface area for better cooling.

-

post #112 of 180 Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's all good.

Oh yeah...monitoring those quite a bit actually. The ASRock Utility also provides the same information.

Found that my fans are configured properly. Front case fan pulls air in from outside, both 80mm Fans push air out the back. I really think this is a case of improper case design. I have four HDD in the Drive Rack and I'm sure they create a lot of heat. I may have to put the other front case fan in on the other side of the Drive Rack...my first inclination would be to have it push air OUT as well...presumably creating airflow across the entire Drive Rack and hopefully cutting the overall temperature inside the case down.

Not sure if that's the proper configuration though...not completely sure how it *SHOULD* work there. It may be Air IN from both the front positions and then Air OUT from the two 80mm fans in the back.

Still tweaking...most days it idles at about 36...runs about 41 if I'm doing something like browsing or watching movies, runs about 45 if I'm ripping a couple discs or CDs...had it up to 50 the other night when I ripped 32 CDs consecutively.

Everything I read indicates those temperatures are completely acceptable but I never hit 50 degress in the old build to the best of my knowledge and I'm positive I can equal that here. The only difference in this build is the more powerful processor and the fact that I don't have that Cooler Master CPU Cooler in the build...which I think are two of my big problems. By rotating the power supply, I may have also removed another possible direction of air flow...I can't find anything that states definitively which direction the fan on the PSU rotates...one set of posts state that it pulls air INTO the case from the grill on the back, another set states that it pulls air OUT of the case.

Either way, I'm not that concerned...I just monitor it a lot.

Again, sorry to derail this thread...

Regards,
Paul
post #113 of 180 Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcutshall View Post

holy thermal paste.

nice build though.

Lol I was going to post the same thing. Looks nice. Thats a ton of TIM though.
post #114 of 180 Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
50c is nothing to worry about, I wouldn't even set the fan to speed up at that temp

http://ark.intel.com/products/42915/...Cache-2_66-GHz)

Intel says 72.7c
post #115 of 180 Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh yeah...monitoring those quite a bit actually. The ASRock Utility also provides the same information.

Found that my fans are configured properly. Front case fan pulls air in from outside, both 80mm Fans push air out the back. I really think this is a case of improper case design. I have four HDD in the Drive Rack and I'm sure they create a lot of heat. I may have to put the other front case fan in on the other side of the Drive Rack...my first inclination would be to have it push air OUT as well...presumably creating airflow across the entire Drive Rack and hopefully cutting the overall temperature inside the case down.

Not sure if that's the proper configuration though...not completely sure how it *SHOULD* work there. It may be Air IN from both the front positions and then Air OUT from the two 80mm fans in the back.

Still tweaking...most days it idles at about 36...runs about 41 if I'm doing something like browsing or watching movies, runs about 45 if I'm ripping a couple discs or CDs...had it up to 50 the other night when I ripped 32 CDs consecutively.

Everything I read indicates those temperatures are completely acceptable but I never hit 50 degress in the old build to the best of my knowledge and I'm positive I can equal that here. The only difference in this build is the more powerful processor and the fact that I don't have that Cooler Master CPU Cooler in the build...which I think are two of my big problems. By rotating the power supply, I may have also removed another possible direction of air flow...I can't find anything that states definitively which direction the fan on the PSU rotates...one set of posts state that it pulls air INTO the case from the grill on the back, another set states that it pulls air OUT of the case.

Either way, I'm not that concerned...I just monitor it a lot.

Again, sorry to derail this thread...

It is all good. No worries about derailment.

Yes a Coolermaster PC cooler is light years better.

But at the same time don't worry much.

I overclocked my old LGA775 E8500 core2 duo from 3.16ghz stock to 4.2ghz and ran it above your temps every day for two years.

It's now in my office PC at work and working great. (quieted down to 3.8ghz..lol)

Temps don't matter as much at people think they do. Unless your hitting a wall or being thermal limited in your clock speeds don't worry about it.

-

post #116 of 180 Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sucks.

Means I will have to rebuild this beast again when the new case replacement arrives.

Well new case arrived so guess what I am doing today.....

-

post #117 of 180 Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 PM

1300 watts is overkill for that build will just ruin your overall efficiency.
post #118 of 180 Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post

1300 watts is overkill for that build will just ruin your overall efficiency.

Two video cards and 13 HDD's I figured I needed it for "spin up"

I added a 4xSATA RAID card and more drives since the build as planned

-

post #119 of 180 Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Two video cards and 13 HDD's I figured I needed it for "spin up"

I added a 4xSATA RAID card and more drives since the build as planned

"Spin up" power requirement has largely been debunked, fyi. There is an article at one of the review sites with the guy in charge of PSUs discussing it. Don't know where I saw it but if I get the time I will try to find it.
post #120 of 180 Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

"Spin up" power requirement has largely been debunked, fyi. There is an article at one of the review sites with the guy in charge of PSUs discussing it. Don't know where I saw it but if I get the time I will try to find it.

I would be interested in seeing it.

I always thought HDD's take about 15-25 watts each.

If I used 20watts- that is about 300watts just in my drives.

Each video card has dual power to it- No sure how much exactly they take- Then I had a crap load of fans, a few external USB3.0 drives- and I wanted room to grow into it.

I also get electricity at .055 per killowatt- and I have never been much of conservationist at anything in my life.

I felt better overpaying for electricity from lack of efficiency than having to find out the hard way I needed a PSU upgrade.

I actually got a 1000watt- but ended up getting the 1300 for even cheaper. If it was not that the case- I would have eneded up with smaller

Please do post the link if you see it.

Anyone know a good PSU calculator?

I probably should have done that before I built. lol. I would be interested in educational purposes to take a look see anyways. Post a good link if anyone has one.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page