Cannot get my Harmony one to work with my HTPC! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Need some help gang.

Been racking my head all day trying to get my Harmony One to work with my HTPC - Win 7.

I bought the Wireless USB PC Remote Control Mouse for PC - dirt cheap ir remote. I bought it really only for the ir receiver. I thought bases on what I read that this would work for me ... I'm afraid I may have to get something else. Here is my issue:

I cannot get the HTPC to respond at all with my Harmony One. The remote that came with the IR works fine and I can get the mouse and WMC to work fine.

I've done a couple a few things none of which worked.

1) I assigned the remote (Chinavision CVSB-983) that several reviewers recommended - didn't work.
2) I walked through and had the Harmony "learn" every button manually - and the Harmony software confirmed each input - didn't work.
3) Walked through Assassins paid guide to set up the Harmony as the Microsoft Windows Media Center SE - didn't work.

As I mentioned, if I use the remote that came with the IR receiver - works fine. Really at wits end and giving up for the night.

Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Did you reboot after plugging in the IR receiver?

post #3 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I ordered that exact same remote a few weeks ago and could not get it to work with my Harmony either. The problem is, I don't think all IR receivers can receive WMC commands. There might be some way to get it to work, but I gave up. I sent it back and got a second one of these, which had worked perfectly with my old HTPC and Harmony remote. It worked just as well on my new HTPC. You can tell the Harmony software it's a Microsoft MCE keyboard, and it will accept both WMC commands and keyboard commands! It's certainly more expensive, but it works out of the box.
post #4 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Did you reboot after plugging in the IR receiver?

Oh yeah several times. No go.
post #5 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post

dirt cheap ir remote. I bought it really only for the ir receiver.

This is likely the problem.

What does the driver say for the IR receiver in device manager? My "AVS highly rated" HP IR receiver says Microsoft eHome or something similar.
post #6 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I ordered that exact same remote a few weeks ago and could not get it to work with my Harmony either. The problem is, I don't think all IR receivers can receive WMC commands. There might be some way to get it to work, but I gave up. I sent it back and got a second one of these, which had worked perfectly with my old HTPC and Harmony remote. It worked just as well on my new HTPC. You can tell the Harmony software it's a Microsoft MCE keyboard, and it will accept both WMC commands and keyboard commands! It's certainly more expensive, but it works out of the box.

I was afraid of this - although it does work with the native remote - so I am a bit confused by it.
post #7 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

This is likely the problem.

What does the driver say for the IR receiver in device manager? My "AVS highly rated" HP IR receiver says Microsoft eHome or something similar.

I'll have to check, but there was no driver need for the install ... I assume some standard USB/IR/mouse driver within windows.
post #8 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FYI I just checked for you and my HP IR Receiver in device manager is...

Human Interface Devices | Microsoft eHome Infrared Receiver

Driver Privider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 6/21/2006
Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385

BTW I didn't install any drivers either. It was plug and play and Win7 installed the drivers automatically.

This is the type of IR Receiver that I use. I chose it because it was recommended on AVS and confirmed as working. I think I bought it on eBay for about $12.
post #9 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Need some help gang.

Been racking my head all day trying to get my Harmony One to work with my HTPC - Win 7.

That remote is not a standard RC6 remote but an HID keyboard/mouse combo. You will need to learn the codes with your Harmony One (or the ChinaVision codes might work, I never tried them).

Also, MCE remotes use alternating codes to minimize reflected signals (this is called debouncing). If you are using a Universal remote, you need to disable debouncing.

Browse to the following registry key:
Code:
HKLM\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\HidIr\\Remotes\\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
Set the following key:
Code:
EnableDebounce = 0 (DWORD)
Reboot.
post #10 of 33 Old 02-11-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I bought the cheapest RC6 I could fine (a Roswell on NewEgg on sale), programmed my Philips Prestigo for WMC remote and had no trouble. You want an RC6 remote.
post #11 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 AM

Liked: 11
FWIW, I bought the recommended HP ehome IR receiver to replace a cheap USB infrared receiver/remote I got on ebay for my Harmony 650. I ended up going back to the cheap IR receiver, because I found the HP receiver to be very sluggish in responding to commands despite tweaking the settings in Harmony software...

Maybe just a fluke, but I disagree with absolutely needing a RC6 receiver. They have the receiver/remote combo on Amazon for 13.99. Just search Amazon for media center remote and its the first hit. A little silver remote. I found the manufacturer and model number for it under the Harmony software as the Ortek VC-1100.

Just my 2 cents.
post #12 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 03:00 AM

Liked: 18
Here is a quick fix.......throw the Harmony in the garbage and get a URC. Kidding.....

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #13 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

That remote is not a standard RC6 remote but an HID keyboard/mouse combo. You will need to learn the codes with your Harmony One (or the ChinaVision codes might work, I never tried them).

Also, MCE remotes use alternating codes to minimize reflected signals (this is called debouncing). If you are using a Universal remote, you need to disable debouncing.

Code:
HKLM\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\HidIr\\Remotes\\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
Set the following key:
Code:
Reboot.

Do you have the remote/receiver? I'll give it a try and see what happens.
post #14 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

Here is a quick fix.......throw the Harmony in the garbage and get a URC. Kidding.....

Ha... Actually I do like my harmony and have the thing set-up to control everything well. I have several scenes that also set the lighting. This is the first time I've run into an issue and I think it's the ir receiver not the Harmony.
post #15 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Code:
Set the following key:
Code:
Reboot.

No Go. Didn't help but thanks for the suggestion.
post #16 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Did you try learning commands from the original remote?
post #17 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 161
+1 on the HP IR receiver. Works great with my Harmony One.
post #18 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Did you try learning commands from the original remote?

Every single one!

I do have an update however. I have been able to get a few responses from the Harmony.

Particularly the number keys with

2 = up
6 = right
8 = down
4 = left
5 = enter

Problem is I can't seem to remap the functions on the Harmony.

That's it so far. Can't get any play, pause, stop, mouse function, etc. to work from the Harmony. At this point, I realize there are better options and I will probably go that route - BUT my troubleshooting/competitive part of me will not let me give up so easy - so I haven't given up hope yet.

Still looking for help here so bring it on!
post #19 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

+1 on the HP IR receiver. Works great with my Harmony One.

+2 Paid practically nothing for this receiver and it works perfectly.

post #20 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Update - making progress.

I went through and taught all the RAW commands to the Harmony. Now all the commands work with the Harmony. I've also done the trick whereby setting a separate activity to control the mouse functions. Apparently the RAW method is the only way to do this remote - as explained here

All works, BUT the big issue is the delay in response.

The delay is ridiculously long between button pushes. Again looking for some solutions here?? and I'll keep troubleshooting.
post #21 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Did you change the delay setting in the Harmony software. If you use the myharmony.com website then you can't make the changes. You have to use the standalone software or http://members.harmonyremote.com to adjust the delays.

post #22 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Man for right around $10 or so I would just get a new IR receiver.

But that's just me.
post #23 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Man for right around $10 or so I would just get a new IR receiver.

But that's just me.

I get it ... but for me this is a challenge that I want to see through. Not about the money, but more for the satisfaction of getting the fix.
post #24 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

It was so simple I feel stupid ... but I got the remote to work for me.

Here's how to make it work for the harmony One - no delays, no long programing or learning ... simple and straight forward. The mouse function works as well and you can set up an activity for this just as described in Assassins guide.

Add Device --> Computer-->Media CenterPC
Select "Chinavasion" in pulldown for manufacturer
Type in (without quotes) "CVSB-983" in model
Click Next
Click Next again

Now here is the VERY important part.
The Logitech software will ask you the following question:
"Do you have a remote for your Chinavasion Media Center PC (CVSB-983)?"

YOU MUST ANSWER NO.

Click "Next", then click "Done"

That's it - all done and the Harmony will work. No need to learn IR, no need to learn RAW .... should be all set.

As a side note:
If you click "Yes" to the having the remote question, the Logitech software takes you through a series of button push tests. This is so the system can "best" match the commands to the database. I believe by doing so, it is assigning the incorrect commands to the harmony.

A lot of wasted time on my part, but the remote and IR receiver are $7 change on amazon - and if this benefits others so they don't spend $20+ or wait 3 weeks for the ir receiver from ebay - then it was well worth it.

I really can't take the credit for this. There were others who ran into the same issue and ultimately got Harmony to add the commands to the database. I ran across several suggested solutions and this one was the last I ran across.
post #25 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I saw that over in the amazon comments. Since you had referenced something similar I figured you had seen it.

Glad you got it working.
post #26 of 33 Old 02-12-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well yeah it was in there, but there are 260+ reviews. I saw that and had it in my back pocket. when I first read it I didn't think it could really be that... guess I was wrong. Anyway thanks for the replies and input.
post #27 of 33 Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

It was so simple I feel stupid ... but I got the remote to work for me.

Here's how to make it work for the harmony One - no delays, no long programing or learning ... simple and straight forward. The mouse function works as well and you can set up an activity for this just as described in Assassins guide.

Add Device --> Computer-->Media CenterPC
Select "Chinavasion" in pulldown for manufacturer
Type in (without quotes) "CVSB-983" in model
Click Next
Click Next again

Now here is the VERY important part.
The Logitech software will ask you the following question:
"Do you have a remote for your Chinavasion Media Center PC (CVSB-983)?"

YOU MUST ANSWER NO.

Click "Next", then click "Done"

That's it - all done and the Harmony will work. No need to learn IR, no need to learn RAW .... should be all set.

As a side note:
If you click "Yes" to the having the remote question, the Logitech software takes you through a series of button push tests. This is so the system can "best" match the commands to the database. I believe by doing so, it is assigning the incorrect commands to the harmony.

A lot of wasted time on my part, but the remote and IR receiver are $7 change on amazon - and if this benefits others so they don't spend $20+ or wait 3 weeks for the ir receiver from ebay - then it was well worth it.

I really can't take the credit for this. There were others who ran into the same issue and ultimately got Harmony to add the commands to the database. I ran across several suggested solutions and this one was the last I ran across.

I can't for the life of me get that Chinavasuion IR receiver to work with my Harmony One. I got it from Amazon because of the reviews that said it can work with the Harmony. I followed your steps, and still no-go. Do you have to associate the device with an activity? I've tried it associated and with no association; both without success.

Lars
post #28 of 33 Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post

I can't for the life of me get that Chinavasuion IR receiver to work with my Harmony One. I got it from Amazon because of the reviews that said it can work with the Harmony. I followed your steps, and still no-go. Do you have to associate the device with an activity? I've tried it associated and with no association; both without success.

How are you trying to use the remote - with WMC or XBMC? In order to use the mouse function, you will need to set up an activity.

By following the steps above, I was able to use the remote with WMC7. Then I set-up the activity for the mouse function and am able to use the remote with my HTCP like a regular mouse (not only in WMC7).

Also, try rebooting (if you haven't) your computer once the IR dongle is plugged in and after you have programmed your Harmony.
post #29 of 33 Old 02-24-2012, 07:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

How are you trying to use the remote - with WMC or XBMC? In order to use the mouse function, you will need to set up an activity.

By following the steps above, I was able to use the remote with WMC7. Then I set-up the activity for the mouse function and am able to use the remote with my HTCP like a regular mouse (not only in WMC7).

Also, try rebooting (if you haven't) your computer once the IR dongle is plugged in and after you have programmed your Harmony.

Well, I set up a mouse activity; tried to use the Harmony on my WMC7 outfit without success; then set up Chinavasion device. I'll delete both activities and start again with just the Chinavasion.

Lars
post #30 of 33 Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
While my H900 works to control my HTPC with the IR receiver that came with my Haupauge tuner card, it requires that the buttons be held down.. hard. I feel I'm going to break the remote eventually.

Any suggestions?

Reply Home Theater Computers