HTPC TV Tuner advice - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2012, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Fry's has the HD Homerun HDHR3 for $69.99.

Reading up on this unit it appears both the HDHR3 & WMC have to do a channel scan. What happens if they both don't get the same channels? I'm presuming if you have 2 PCs then they both require channel scans along with the HDHR3?

I recently finished building an HTPC & was going to get the Avermedia Duet because it can be had for $65. But with the HDHR3V on sale it makes me wonder which is the better one to get.

I realize the HDHR3 lets me record on any PC connected to my router, even though I only plan to use one PC. However it is a nice option. Of course the HDHR3 has to be put some place while the Duet is internal. And the HDHR3 needs it's own network connection which means I'll need a switch somewhere.

Is either tuner more reliable or easier to set up & use?
Will one have a better WAF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I would recommend wired if possible. I have Cat5 but I am sure others can chime in on using wireless.

I do know that on my network I can stream 720p MKV without any issues and only the highest bitrate (uncompressed) 1080p files give my G network issues.

would a network bridge solve this issue?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hettar987 View Post

My i3-540 handles 2 tuners, a relative's G620 handles 3 without any issue. I'm pretty sure a 4 tuners config is ok on a G620.

For you guys with the Pentium G620, i3-540, and other similar-caliber HTPC's, how does your HTPC fare when streaming to a Network Media Extender? I know previous posters have mentioned that their setups work well in a 3-tuner/4-tuner environment, but wasn't sure if that was just local recording or if the comments referred to streaming.

I am contemplating the Pentium G620 myself. Unlike it's younger sibling, the Celeron G530, having that extra Core is nice for this HTPC purpose. The difference in price then skyrockets if one wants an i3/i5 for Hyper Threading and/or an i7 for Quad-Core...and that when comparing AMD's # of Cores, it should be considered as Apples & Oranges due to the different CPU design architecture. That's why I like having real feedback instead of relying on benchmarks. smile.gif
Old 06-19-2012, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I remember the first batch of Avermedia Duet's having issues like disappearing when waking up from sleep or hibernation. But that was a few years ago. I even sent one of mine back to Avermedia. The return has been very solid ever since (that was more then 2 years ago). Most of those issues were supposedly fixed with the next batch. I currently have 4 duets. Two of which I bought from a member here thinking they would probably work for me (even though they didn't). But I decided to save them just in case. 2 months ago I was given a pc and I wen't ahead and installed them there just in case and lo and behold they worked!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post

For you guys with the Pentium G620, i3-540, and other similar-caliber HTPC's, how does your HTPC fare when streaming to a Network Media Extender? I know previous posters have mentioned that their setups work well in a 3-tuner/4-tuner environment, but wasn't sure if that was just local recording or if the comments referred to streaming.
I am contemplating the Pentium G620 myself. Unlike it's younger sibling, the Celeron G530, having that extra Core is nice for this HTPC purpose. The difference in price then skyrockets if one wants an i3/i5 for Hyper Threading and/or an i7 for Quad-Core...and that when comparing AMD's # of Cores, it should be considered as Apples & Oranges due to the different CPU design architecture. That's why I like having real feedback instead of relying on benchmarks. smile.gif

You do realize both the Celeron G530 and Pentium G620 are dual-core? Primary difference, I believe, is clock speed and 1MB extra cache on the G620. The Celeron G440 is the single-core.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post

I remember the first batch of Avermedia Duet's having issues like disappearing when waking up from sleep or hibernation. But that was a few years ago. I even sent one of mine back to Avermedia. The return has been very solid ever since (that was more then 2 years ago). Most of those issues were supposedly fixed with the next batch. I currently have 4 duets. Two of which I bought from a member here thinking they would probably work for me (even though they didn't). But I decided to save them just in case. 2 months ago I was given a pc and I wen't ahead and installed them there just in case and lo and behold they worked!

I just bought a Duet & was concerned because I also read about problems. One thing was that the disappearing issue was with AMD CPUs, but I don't know if that's ever been verified. I'm using an Intel G620 so I thought I'd take a chance. I also thought that newer drivers might help any alleged or potential problems, but the included disc & their website lists all the drivers for Windows 7 and Vista as being from 2009. IOW there has been no updates for 3 years.

I bought it from Walmart online with free shipping to the store & they were as cheap as anyone. I figured if it did not work then returning it would be easy. So far after a couple weeks it is working fine with OTA.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I currently have a very low end HTPC (bought it from a friend for $25, so I can't complain). It's a dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, and I have only 2GB RAM. Benchmarks are significantly worse than the G620. It really struggles with the 3-tuner HDHomeRun Prime, but has no problem at all with the 2-tuner Hauppauge DCR-2650. I use it strictly for streaming to an Xbox media extender. When recording 2-streams and streaming a 3rd program to an extender, my CPU and RAM usage are around 50%, disc activity is around 2%, and network usage is around 5%. Responsiveness is excellent. With the 3-tuner network based tuner, it was pretty much unusable. So, based on my own experience, it looks like your system could easily handle the 2650 but might struggle with the HomeRun.