Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am having a very tough time getting some video drivers installed in my WHS 2011 machine. In the device manager, I only see the standard VGA driver and it sounds like that specific driver does not allow a WHS 2011 machine to go into sleep mode. So, I am trying to get an alternate video driver installed so that I can hopefully use sleep mode via the Lights Out add-in.

I started by trying to use and update the on-board video off the mobo (SuperMicro X8SIL-F) and it looks like no additional drivers there. So, I went ahead and tried out an old PCI video card (no AGP on the mobo) that I had in the house. There were no markings on the card so I was not able to find drivers before inserting the card but I hoped for the best that WHS 2011 would recognize the card and that the online search would find an appropriate video driver (excluding the standard vga driver). That also did not work.

Finally, I went ahead and purchased a PCI video card figuring that this would be the best solution for me. I bought a HIS H700H64P Radeon 7000 64MB 64-bit DDR PCI Low Profile Ready Video Card and installed with the software included on the CD without success. I also tried downloading and installing the latest catalyst software/driver setup (12.1) , and version 10.6, and even older 9.6 without success.

So, any ideas or help on how to get an updated driver working for one of these solutions would be greatly appreciated. I read that usually WHS 2011 preferred drivers are for Server 2008 R2 and that sometimes Win7 64-bit drivers will work as well.

Thanks,
T.Wells
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 AM

So how do you know it's the video driver preventing WHS 2011 from sleeping? I had the generic vga driver and also the specific driver for the onboard video installed and either one allowed WHS to sleep.

Gerry

Big Gerr
post #3 of 5 Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Have you tried the drivers at Matrox?

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/su...vious/display/
post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2012, 02:28 AM

Liked: 12
You wrote:

"I started by trying to use and update the on-board video off the mobo (SuperMicro X8SIL-F) and it looks like no additional drivers there".

The Supermicro site has Matrox graphics drivers for "Windows 2008 (64bit)", which I assume means Windows Server 2008. Did you try these?

WHS 2011 is built upon Windows Server 2008 R2, so drivers for this OS will work for WHS 2011.

Geoff Coupe
post #5 of 5 Old 02-15-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post

So how do you know it's the video driver preventing WHS 2011 from sleeping? I had the generic vga driver and also the specific driver for the onboard video installed and either one allowed WHS to sleep.

Gerry

Gerry, you were correct, my problem was not the VGA driver at all. I had seen posts in other forums that WHS 2011 needed a specific video driver to sleep. I updated the driver (see below), and sleep still was not available. I had actually overlooked a ACPI setting tucked away within the BIOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post

You wrote:

"I started by trying to use and update the on-board video off the mobo (SuperMicro X8SIL-F) and it looks like no additional drivers there".

The Supermicro site has Matrox graphics drivers for "Windows 2008 (64bit)", which I assume means Windows Server 2008. Did you try these?

WHS 2011 is built upon Windows Server 2008 R2, so drivers for this OS will work for WHS 2011.

Thank you. I actually did not see the drivers listed. I had stopped looking when the drop-down list showed the following: All, Chipset, Bios, LAN ...
But, when I did click All, there were video drivers available. I have updated with the correct Matrox graphics drivers.

Now, to see if I can get Lights-out to put the machine to sleep overnight.

Thanks for all the replies.

T.Wells
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page