What HTPC refresh rate to use when watching x264 MKVs on HDTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I've just hooked up my HTPC to my big screen HDTV using latest NVIDIA drivers 285.62. So far so good...

However, I have some x264 1080p MKV movies that I would like to watch on the HDTV without any studdering. Since all my MKVs are the usual 23.976FPS, what should I set my HTPC refresh rate to the HDTV to? I notice on the NVIDIA drivers the options are either 23Hz or 24Hz. Which one of these options represents true 23.976FPS? I tried going thru the help portion and its not very clear.

Appreciate any help.

Regards,
HMR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The 23 option represents 23.976Hz

The 24 option represents 24.000Hz

Atleast that is the intent. However, some cards and driver versions are better at comming close to these values.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-12-2012, 01:38 PM

If you set your pc to 23hz you will get dropped frames. I suggest you check out reclock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies... Can reclock work with Windows Media Player? That's what I use to playback my MKVs.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 PM

Not that I know of. Switch to mpc-hc. It's a much more powerful player.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, seems like you are correct. ReClock does not appear to support Windows Media Foundation which is what I am using to playback my MKVs (Windows Media Player + Haali Media Splitter + ac3filter).

If I don't move over to MPC-HC then that means I cannot use ReClock. What refresh rate would work best in that scenario... 23Hz or 24Hz? I am thinking 23Hz since it is closest to 23.976FPS of my MKVs.

BTW, my HDTV is a 2010 Samsung 3D LED TV 240Hz. So it can do 23.976 or 24Hz (not sure which since all it displays is 24Hz on the screen).

Regards,
HMR.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicRules View Post

Hmmm, seems like you are correct. ReClock does not appear to support Windows Media Foundation which is what I am using to playback my MKVs (Windows Media Player + Haali Media Splitter + ac3filter).

If I don't move over to MPC-HC then that means I cannot use ReClock. What refresh rate would work best in that scenario... 23Hz or 24Hz? I am thinking 23Hz since it is closest to 23.976FPS of my MKVs.

BTW, my HDTV is a 2010 Samsung 3D LED TV 240Hz. So it can do 23.976 or 24Hz (not sure which since all it displays is 24Hz on the screen).

Regards,
HMR.

Why not try both?

See if you notice any difference and report back.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

why not try both?

See if you notice any difference and report back.

+1
post #9 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 369
WMP supports both Media Foundation and DirectShow. If you use Haali Media Splitter, you are using DirectShow so ReClock should be loaded...? (DivX Plus Software is the only MF components for MKV?)

ReClock adjusts video playback speed to the video card's clock. This means that you have to give up HD audio bitstreaming. As for AC3, it has to be decoded to LPCM, resampled, then re-encoded to AC3. So many people just don't like ReClock.

Rather I recommend creating a custom resolution (otherwise NVIDIA's 23Hz is the worst among AMD, NVIDIA and Intel).

-

-
post #10 of 10 Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 AM

The only two options are a custom resolution and reclock. I was using the custom resolution solution for a while so I could get hd audio bitstreaming but I was losing volume overlay with my receiver. Nvidia custom resolution doesn't send a 24p signal to my receiver so I had to set my receiver to video pass through meaning I lost the volume overlay.

In the end I decided I would rather have volume overlay than having my receiver display the hd codec (bitstreaming). I don't notice any loss in audio quality with reclock and I get absolutely no dropped frames.

Look into mpc-hc, lav, madvr, reclock to playback your mkvs. There are lots of good guides out there including here on avsforum.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page