Hiccup/pause/audio dropout while playing blu-ray discs... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-15-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have built an HTPC and I have all the hardware and software to support smooth playback of blu ray discs however I have been getting some slight hiccups while playing blu ray discs.

I'm using an LG blu ray ROM and maybe once every half hour or so (completely random though), my drive or system goes through a 1 second pause and tries to catch up. It causes a video pause and an audio dropout. The video does not go blank at all, just still and the audio drops and my receiver switches audio from HD audio to PLII and back again in about 1 second. I do notice a seeking type of sound during this pause comming from my LG BD ROM drive so i'm guessing that is the problem???

Are there any settings I can tweek with sector reads or buffer or anything? Does this sound like a hardware or software issue?

Hardware:

LG BR ROM
4GB RAM
E8600 C2D
GT430

Software:
PowerDVD11 through WMC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 AM

Hi Jeff, I registed on AVS just for this because I am having the same problem. I posted this over at overclock.net and it sounds like it's a hardware issue

I have an LG blu-ray player (UH12LS28)
Crosshair IV Extreme Mobo
AMD 1100T 6 cores
16GB RAM
GTX 560Ti

Whenever I play blu-ray disc, sound/video would intermittently drop for a split second, occurs 2-3 times within a span of 5 minutes. This occurs throughout the entire movie, on ANY blu-ray.

It occurs with all my sound peripherals, including z5500 speakers, creative 2.1 speakers, headphones.
It occurs on any audio setting (stereo or DTS)
It occurs with my speaker plug AND optical output from the MOBO
It occurs with HDMI output from my 560 Ti
It occurs with both Arcsoft media player and powerdvd media player

It does NOT occur with DVDs
It does NOT occur with ripped movies (though I don't rip blu-ray)
It does NOT occur with any gaming (BF3, Batman Arkham City, etc)
It does NOT occur with music files
It does NOT occur with anything other than blu-ray playback

I have pinned it down to the blu-ray player itself. Anything else I can help differentiate?

I thought a sound card might fix it, but that wouldnt make any sense. It occurs with both the MOBO soundcard as well as the nvidia GPU via HDMI output.

I called LG and they were useless. I think I may get another blu-ray drive and push the current one to DVD/read only on my other computer

Thoughts?

(BTW, I used to live in san jose, indy high class of '97 w00tw00t!)
post #3 of 12 Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
If you want to play blu-ray from the disk, why are you using an HTPC? A stand alone player is much cheaper and does the job very well.

Rip your BRD's to mkv and play away using MPC-HC with LAV installed.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-21-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Your display and video card are not keeping up with frame rate of the BR disk and frames are being dropped. The video card will then stutter to catch up when it falls too far behind. Make sure that both your video and audio drivers are the latest from their manufacturer and not from Winupdate and that hardware acceleration is enabled in your BR player software.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

If you want to play blu-ray from the disk, why are you using an HTPC? A stand alone player is much cheaper and does the job very well.

Rip your BRD's to mkv and play away using MPC-HC with LAV installed.

HTPC is connected to my bigscreen as well as my 24 in screen. It is used for high graphic gaming, photoediting, music, movies, web surfing, everything. Don't want a stand alone if my PC can do everything
post #6 of 12 Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Your display and video card are not keeping up with frame rate of the BR disk and frames are being dropped. The video card will then stutter to catch up when it falls too far behind. Make sure that both your video and audio drivers are the latest from their manufacturer and that hardware acceleration is enabled in your BR player software.

All drivers are updated

I thought it could be videocard too, but I know many people with less powerful graphics cards who can push blu ray without issues.

My 560ti has been doing great otherwise, and all games can run on ultra settings.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

I believe what you're experiencing is a process or thread with a higher priority is interrupting. Have you tried going into Task Manager and changing the Priority of your playback software to High?
post #8 of 12 Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have never made it through a BD movie with PDVD without at least 1 glitch and usually a few.

Since really no video card can do exactly 23.976 for the length of a movie, it is possible it is just a skip to "catch up" to which there is no solution.

However, I think it is more than that sometimes and may be just badly authored discs and/or software problems with PDVD or other problems such as what Speqtre suggests.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speqtre View Post

I believe what you're experiencing is a process or thread with a higher priority is interrupting. Have you tried going into Task Manager and changing the Priority of your playback software to High?

That's a pretty good suggestion, I tried that in task manager just now and it's still giving the same problems =(
post #10 of 12 Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 AM

Bump, any other suggestions before i go out and get a new BD player?
post #11 of 12 Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlminh View Post

Bump, any other suggestions before i go out and get a new BD player?

Get a stand alone player. Rip any blu-rays you wnat to watch on your HTPC to mkv and play them using MPC-HC.

post #12 of 12 Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Let me know how it goes. In my situation I was able to watch a full 2 hour movie yesterday with the pause only happening once. So I don't think its a framers issue trying to catch up. It seems my issue is the Rom drive falls behind and needs to buffer to playback smooth. It's not a skip, its a pause.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page