Poll: Best PQ among GPU vendors - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which is better for standard 1080p for HTPC (in alphabetical order)?
1. AMD/ATI 0 0%
2. Intel HD 2/3000 0 0%
3. Nvidia 0 0%
4. I can't tell the difference 0 0%
5. I've never compared 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 112 Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jakmal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To tell the truth, I have been pretty upset with ATI lately (since Llano, in particular). Their driver quality has gone down the drain.

I have been pointing out the chroma upsampling issue to them repeatedly, but the latest drivers as of Llano release time as well as 7750 release time didn't have it fixed.

Llano CUE

AMD 7750 CUE

Chroma upsampling errors are unpardonable when the issue has been clearly pointed out since early 2000s. Apparently, this issue keeps coming and going off in AMD's driver releases. Also, HQV scores are not everything. Nowadays, HQV scores of even the Intel IGP is pretty close to the discrete GPUs. It is becoming a stale benchmark. Ease of use and consistent performance often trumps PQ for a single playback session.

My opinion is that for 90% of the HTPC enthusiasts out there, an Intel IGP (Sandy Bridge onwards) is more than enough (particularly after the arrival of Eric's QuickSync decoder and its integration with LAV Video Decoder). Between AMD and NVIDIA, it is a bit more difficult, and I will leave it to personal tastes (though, currently, my preference lies with NVIDIA -- but this is subject to change after every new driver or GPU release from either vendor )

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
jakmal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 112 Old 02-18-2012, 03:23 AM
Qaq
Senior Member
 
Qaq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

I have been pointing out the chroma upsampling issue to them repeatedly, but the latest drivers as of Llano release time as well as 7750 release time didn't have it fixed.

I've found the solution for myself: DVI (picture only) to TV, HDMI to AVR. Chroma 444 test passed.
The problem is dual-monitor setup slows down video rendering a lot, so I have to enable GPU scaling to get back video rendering perfomance. This way I loose 23 in CCC, but that is not a big deal since I use ReClock anyway. Oh well...

Burned by the Audio Inquisition
Qaq is offline  
post #63 of 112 Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 23,673
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Was your vote for AMD/ATI a mistake then?

No I just prefer ATI for many reasons and did not read the thread or question through before I posted.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #64 of 112 Old 02-19-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

And I will give it to you if you can quote me one time where I said that Intel/NVidia were better than AMD.

Common wisdom here says that they are all the same. Yet, professional reviewers say the opposite. And in my opinion, AMD does present a better option for HTPC users. That's my only point. And when people argue against me saying that there is no proof... despite me presenting multiple reviews that show exactly my "proof"... it raises my heckles a bit.


Quote:
No but it is in stark contrast to your argument that AMD is better.

Yeah, I found that article interesting. They made it a point to call out AMD, but didn't point out the fact that post-processing was turned on. This wasn't an "out of the box" comparison, considering it's a transcoding comparison. If post-processing was turned off, they would be a little closer.

But when you actually look at the screen shots, even with post-processing turned on, the AMD looks better in my opinion, and several other people that I showed them to. So I'm surprised the author of that article came to that conclusion.


Quote:
In what way is that an objective comparison other than to compare out of the box settings.

It's not. That's why I was surprised at the authors conclusions. That's why I said that article was interesting and included it.


Quote:
Either one. Using the sum of their parts, all three major players can easily match each other with the proper settings.

Really? The article we have been talking about above is not a picture quality review, but a transcoding review. The other articles that deal with picture quality in more depth try to do a more thorough objective analysis with HQV and come to the conclusion that AMD provides better quality when all things are equal (post-processing turned off).

This is the point I have been trying to make. And with AMD's superior post-processing, the end-user can tweak the quality even further.


Quote:
So have I. I've even pointed out that the reviewers which you cite specifically state that their results are subjective yet you call it objective proof. If you want objective results, the closest you will get is if you perform a double blind study with a professionally calibrated system (GPU and display). And don't use subjects that think the high contrast displays that they see in Best Buy and WalMart are what the image should look like.

Until then, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Point taken. While the reviewers step all over themselves to say the results are subjective... when you see a consistent trend where AMD wins the HQV comparisons over and over... that trend shows that it is no longer subjective.

One review in AMD's favor in a subjective test would be just a subjective result. But multiple reviews in AMD's favor tips the scales away from "subjective" to "objective."

There are many things in nature that are subjective. But when multiple people make the same observances it is not subjective anymore.
Puwaha is offline  
post #65 of 112 Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Also, HQV scores are not everything. Nowadays, HQV scores of even the Intel IGP is pretty close to the discrete GPUs. It is becoming a stale benchmark. Ease of use and consistent performance often trumps PQ for a single playback session.

How is using HQV stale? It attempts to quantify (which is objective) an obviously subjective area that encompasses people's taste.

Do you know of a better comparison?


Quote:
My opinion is that for 90% of the HTPC enthusiasts out there, an Intel IGP (Sandy Bridge onwards) is more than enough (particularly after the arrival of Eric's QuickSync decoder and its integration with LAV Video Decoder). Between AMD and NVIDIA, it is a bit more difficult, and I will leave it to personal tastes (though, currently, my preference lies with NVIDIA -- but this is subject to change after every new driver or GPU release from either vendor )

I agree with the fact that this is subject to change with every GPU or driver release. But as it stands now... AMD is still the best when it comes to PQ, as professional reviewers agree. Driver problems, which do not seem to affect the vast majority of users, are not an AMD only issue.
Puwaha is offline  
post #66 of 112 Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Only real red fans call them ATi. hahah

either way I tried using my old htpc with an ATI card. Yea thats right ATi lol and turned off all the post processing stuff and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between that and my Nvidia GT 220m.

Was about 9.2 feet away from my PN59D6500 calibrated by SocalHT (THX calibrator). It did take sometime though to get the brightness and contrast right for the HTPCs.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #67 of 112 Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Let me just get this out of the way... I have never stated that AMD makes a perfect HTPC video card. All vendors have their issues... but given the sum of their parts, I believe AMD's mid-range discrete cards provide the best video quality of the 3 major vendors. This is my opinion.

My opinion is bolstered by professional reviewers who come to the same conclusion.

If you like Nvidia or Intel for specific reasons other than "I want the best possible PQ from a computer based video output device", then great. I fully understand that Nvidia is miles ahead for 3D and gaming. I fully understand that getting a "free" video card on an Intel based motherboard does have it's monetary advantages. But if your criteria is PQ, then AMD has some offerings that you should look into.
Puwaha is offline  
post #68 of 112 Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Yep... there's no value to frame-interpolation, right? We should all just live with judder?

There's no difference between 720p and 1080p, right? The eyes can't resolve that level of detail.

There's no difference between DTS and AC3, right? The speakers can't respond fast enough.

I've heard all those arguments before.... roll your eyes indeed.

Actually on another site there was a blind test between dts and ac3. And it was concluded overwhelmingly that you could not tell the difference.
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #69 of 112 Old 02-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Bignickfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sydney
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There may be a difference if the poll included LCD / Plasmas and 90" + projectors....
Bignickfly is offline  
post #70 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nevcairiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

This is my opinion.

Yes, it is.
And this discussion would've been way more fun if you allowed everyone else to have their own, instead of shutting down everyone with a conflicting opinion.

You're obviously biased and already made up your mind. Why open this thread in the first place?

Some things to consider:
- HQV is only of limited value. Its artificial patterns that have very little value in real-life content. I hate it when reviews focus on it, and it alone.
- "Professional reviewers" can be wrong, or even biased (even quite commonly so)
- Most people wouldn't see the difference between a professionally calibrated system or a el-Cheapo out of the box system, and would vote for whatever GPU they have right now, because theirs is the best, no question.

PS:
The AMD drivers for the 7000 series cards have once again a chroma upsampling "bug", something that completely defeats picture quality to begin with.
Nevcairiel is offline  
post #71 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

Yes, it is.
And this discussion would've been way more fun if you allowed everyone else to have their own, instead of shutting down everyone with a conflicting opinion.

What, I'm not allowed to backup my opinion with citations and debate? What happened to this place? When did this becomes "please-review-my-build-central"?


Quote:


You're obviously biased and already made up your mind. Why open this thread in the first place?

It was Assassin's idea... not mine. He even said so a couple of pages back.


Quote:


Some things to consider:
- HQV is only of limited value. Its artificial patterns that have very little value in real-life content. I hate it when reviews focus on it, and it alone.

Are you aware of something better?


Quote:


- "Professional reviewers" can be wrong, or even biased (even quite commonly so)

Yes, I agree. One reviewer is an anomoly... all of them is a trend.


Quote:


- Most people wouldn't see the difference between a professionally calibrated system or a el-Cheapo out of the box system, and would vote for whatever GPU they have right now, because theirs is the best, no question.

I don't know what Assassin was trying to prove with this poll either.


Quote:


PS:
The AMD drivers for the 7000 series cards have once again a chroma upsampling "bug", something that completely defeats picture quality to begin with.

Ok. Despite this, AMD still beats the other vendors in PQ reviews?
Puwaha is offline  
post #72 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Actually on another site there was a blind test between dts and ac3. And it was concluded overwhelmingly that you could not tell the difference.

That's actually pretty funny... I made that last one up.
Puwaha is offline  
post #73 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,961
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

It was Assassin's idea... not mine. He even said so a couple of pages back.

I don't know what Assassin was trying to prove with this poll either.

I think what they are trying to say is that your mind is made up and no poll or amount of real world experience is going to sway your opinion. Despite the poll results and numerous esteemed AVS users' actual opinion and EXPERIENCE with all 3 options you still have the same stubborn attitude in that you are correct and all-knowing and we are wrong.

So, despite all this real-world opinion and data, you are keeping your opinion. That's fine but I think their point is that why even create a poll if despite over whelming opinion against your point of view you continue to support it and bash others' who don't agree with you?

You also were accusing me of misleading or not recommending the "best" (being ATI) graphics to customers and AVS users since I recommend to start with the iGPU. In fact, you point blank stated that iGPU should be avoided at all costs. This is simply poor advice for the average AVS user as this poll and thread have shown (definitively I might add).

So the poll results after 5 days (if you remove MFusick's self admitted mistaken vote) are ATI 19 and No Difference/Intel 30. And not even a single ATI user has come to your defense.

That is all.

End of self-defense (again). Back to radio silence.
assassin is offline  
post #74 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I think what they are trying to say is that your mind is made up and no poll or amount of real world experience is going to sway your opinion. Despite the poll results and numerous esteemed AVS users' actual opinion and EXPERIENCE with all 3 options you still have the same stubborn attitude in that you are correct and all-knowing and we are wrong.

So, despite all this real-world opinion and data, you are keeping your opinion. That's fine but I think their point is that why even create a poll if despite over whelming opinion against your point of view you continue to support it and bash others' who don't agree with you?

You also were accusing me of misleading or not recommending the "best" (being ATI) graphics to customers and AVS users since I recommend to start with the iGPU. In fact, you point blank stated that iGPU should be avoided at all costs. This is simply poor advice for the average AVS user as this poll and thread have shown (definitively I might add).

So the poll results after 5 days (if you remove MFusick's self admitted mistaken vote) are ATI 19 and No Difference/Intel 30. And not even a single ATI user has come to your defense.

That is all.

End of self-defense (again). Back to radio silence.

I use ATI and can't say either way, it looks fantastic but like I said unless you have them side by side there really isn't a good way to judge. I had my gts450 hooked up a while ago and it looked great but it was on a better TV and not side by side. Like I said you kind of have to have a tech lab with two identical TV's running the exact same film sequence at the same time.
jeffkro is offline  
post #75 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

I use ATI and can't say either way, it looks fantastic but like I said unless you have them side by side there really isn't a good way to judge. I had my gts450 hooked up a while ago and it looked great but it was on a better TV and not side by side. Like I said you kind of have to have a tech lab with two identical TV's running the exact same film sequence at the same time.

I have both, ATI 5750 & Nvidia GTS 450, in two HTPCs with output to a common dual-display setup (Dell 24WFP & Samsung HDTV). Of course, with all postprocessing off, and doing A/B comparisons with same material, there's no difference. I don't even need to recalibrate the TV to get the same PQ with both. If there is a difference I can't see it! Maybe a much larger display is required.

But frankly, I would have been really surprised to find a difference at all, and would expect latest Intel IGPs (the 23.976 issue notwithstanding) to be on a par.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #76 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 23,673
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 935
I am guilty of voting before really thinking about the question...

so yes... people do make up their minds ahead of time.

personal opinion influences belief. It often has no basis on reality.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #77 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I think what they are trying to say is that your mind is made up and no poll or amount of real world experience is going to sway your opinion. Despite the poll results and numerous esteemed AVS users' actual opinion and EXPERIENCE with all 3 options you still have the same stubborn attitude in that you are correct and all-knowing and we are wrong.

No, Assassin... it's quite the reverse. You are the one who is claiming to be all-knowing. All I have ever stated was my opinion which I defended with professional reviews.


Quote:


So, despite all this real-world opinion and data, you are keeping your opinion. That's fine but I think their point is that why even create a poll if despite over whelming opinion against your point of view you continue to support it and bash others' who don't agree with you?

Bash? I'm not the one going around cursing people like you.

But anyway... are people really so sensitive that they can't take a little debate?


Quote:


You also were accusing me of misleading or not recommending the "best" (being ATI) graphics to customers and AVS users since I recommend to start with the iGPU. In fact, you point blank stated that iGPU should be avoided at all costs. This is simply poor advice for the average AVS user as this poll and thread have shown (definitively I might add).

If you are going to quote people, at least do it properly. I think IGP should be avoided unless there are good monetary reasons to do so. Look up my words.


Quote:


So the poll results after 5 days (if you remove MFusick's self admitted mistaken vote) are ATI 19 and No Difference/Intel 30. And not even a single ATI user has come to your defense.

I'm sorry I wounded your pride Assassin. Please forgive me.
Puwaha is offline  
post #78 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^^^ I think the problem is you never left it up for any debate. It has been pretty clear you want everyone to share your opinion.
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #79 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Puwaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

^^^ I think the problem is you never left it up for any debate. It has been pretty clear you want everyone to share your opinion.

I don't care if other people have differing opinions. But I am going to defend my way of thinking. I'd hope others could do the same.

I didn't just wake up one day with this opinion. I've spent the last 10+ years building and tweaking my personal HTPCs... my opinions are just as valid as anyone else's. My advice is just as valid as anyone's... and if people wonder why I give certain advice, I can back it up.
Puwaha is offline  
post #80 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just ran a test earlier in the day (not optimal viewing conditions). Played scenes from Tron, KFP, and Ponyo between both my computers. One running an Nvidia 8600 and the other running a 6450. Went to the same timecodes for each scene and had them both connected to my THX calibrated screen. Can't see the difference. Both of them were set to the right brightness and contrast.

Will retry again with my i300 system tomorrow at night for better conditions

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #81 of 112 Old 02-20-2012, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nevcairiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

I don't care if other people have differing opinions. But I am going to defend my way of thinking. I'd hope others could do the same.

You asked for peoples opinions. If you respond to every post with "but your opinion is wrong", then you might as well not ask in the first place.

Opinions are not facts. Not yours, not anyone elses. Everyone has their own, and it won't change because you quote them some review you dug up somewhere.
Someone else came up with a review that claimed the opposite, called out ATI/AMD for enabling needless post-processing, and you dismissed it for arbitrary reasons. Oh well.

Several people (including me) have explained how post-processing affects the scores, and how all vendors offer the same post-processing. Yet, for some reason, you still claim AMD is that much superior because they offer post-processing by default. This escapes any logic.

If you limit yourself to one vendor, its your loss.
If you insist on using excessive amounts of post-processing, then sure, maybe AMDs post-processing is better (i can't say, I'm not touching that stuff), but if you value pure image quality, the way it was meant to be viewed, there really isn't a difference.

I'm done.

PS:
If i ever wanted post-processing, i would actually enable it in the TV, and not be at the mercy of some GPU driver.
Nevcairiel is offline  
post #82 of 112 Old 02-21-2012, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
MlNDBOMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
i feel like i have more control with amd's drivers. I can specify the deinterlacing quality directly. Well, other than that, nothing special.

Also, I don't really mind that it enables postprocessing by default. What is much worse is that it gets turned back on after a driver update.
MlNDBOMB is offline  
post #83 of 112 Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 AM
Newbie
 
Calaideria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm an AMD guy.but it might only becuase I'm using AMD.LOL
Calaideria is offline  
post #84 of 112 Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Darin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

I don't care if other people have differing opinions. But I am going to defend my way of thinking.

I'm still not even clear on what your stance is. Are you suggesting that with all post-processing turned off, you can see a difference and consistently observe a better picture from ATI? If so, you seem to be the only one, and I'm a bit skeptical that in a proper A/B test (all settings adjusted to ensure that the different platforms aren't "flavoring" the picture), you could reliably find the difference.

Or are you simply stating that you like ATI post processing? If so, that is certainly your prerogative. I like lima beans on top of buttered bread, all covered with ketchup. But I'm not going to spend an entire thread trying to convince other people they should eat it.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Darin is offline  
post #85 of 112 Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

I'm still not even clear on what your stance is. Are you suggesting that with all post-processing turned off, you can see a difference and consistently observe a better picture from ATI? If so, you seem to be the only one, and I'm a bit skeptical that in a proper A/B test (all settings adjusted to ensure that the different platforms aren't "flavoring" the picture), you could reliably find the difference.

Or are you simply stating that you like ATI post processing? If so, that is certainly your prerogative. I like lima beans on top of buttered bread, all covered with ketchup. But I'm not going to spend an entire thread trying to convince other people they should eat it.

Sounds more like he saw AMD win the HQV test in a review so now he "knows" they are the best. You gotta love threads like this here. I'm going to sneak over to the op's house and drop an nvidia card in then let him show me his awesome amd set up. I guarantee he wouldn't even know.
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #86 of 112 Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 23,673
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 935
am I the only one that won't buy Nvidia because it currently costs more and performs less ?

And,

It struggles in HTPC with 0-255 scale and blacks and whites are hard to get perfect?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #87 of 112 Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nevcairiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

It struggles in HTPC with 0-255 scale and blacks and whites are hard to get perfect?

Its not hard, you just have to create a custom resolution to get 0-255. Its no magic. Never had any problems with that.
Granted, an option would be useful, its really not obvious how to do that, but other then that, the quality is fine.

I don't buy AMD because of the constant driver struggle and their limited access to the GPU decoder.
Everyone has their small reasons, but what we argued here was mostly that the reason shouldn't be picture quality, because thats pretty much the same among the vendors.
Nevcairiel is offline  
post #88 of 112 Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

am I the only one that won't buy Nvidia because it currently costs more and performs less ?

And,

It struggles in HTPC with 0-255 scale and blacks and whites are hard to get perfect?

Black levels? Like brightness? Are you connected to a tv? Try the hdmi level on tv. My blacks were set with avs709

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #89 of 112 Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 23,673
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Black levels? Like brightness? Are you connected to a tv? Try the hdmi level on tv. My blacks were set with avs709

I am connected to an Onkyo AVR first- then Optoma projector.

I also run it to a Plasma TV in other room.

I used digital video essentials and also the set up built into media center to set my black levels and white levels.

With my Nvidia card this was an issue- but it's great with my Radeon.

My choice for Radeon is not related at all to PQ.


it's about performance.

2 x 6870's for $260 will blow away anything Nvidia has in modern games.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #90 of 112 Old 02-21-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post


I am connected to an Onkyo AVR first- then Optoma projector.

I also run it to a Plasma TV in other room.

I used digital video essentials and also the set up built into media center to set my black levels and white levels.

With my Nvidia card this was an issue- but it's great with my Radeon.

My choice for Radeon is not related at all to PQ.

it's about performance.

2 x 6870's for $260 will blow away anything Nvidia has in modern games.

What about two 6850's?
JukeBox360 is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off