Which Logitech keyboard to choose? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Spent the last few days reading posts in the forum about keyboards and was wondering, as of February 2012, which one most of you lead toward?

Assuming money was an object, and could not afford the diNovo, I figured these would be in contention for my HTPC:

Logitech PS3
Logitech K400
Logitech K700

Please let me know which you feel is "best" as well as if I've missed anything.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I've got the K400 and really enjoy it. It doesn't have media buttons and it isn't backlit, but the integrated trackpad is really convenient, especially if you're sitting on a couch or bed. It's pretty light too.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

I've got the K400 and really enjoy it. It doesn't have media buttons and it isn't backlit, but the integrated trackpad is really convenient, especially if you're sitting on a couch or bed. It's pretty light too.

Is there a big difference between the K400 and K700? I'll mostly be using this for light browsing or to address setup issues here and there. Otherwise I'll be in my front-end, using a remote to browse around.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have the K400 & like it very much. I haven't used it a lot but what I like is the decent range it has, which I heard about. My PC is about 15' from my recliner & behind a half height wall & the signal still gets through.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I have the K400 & like it very much. I haven't used it a lot but what I like is the decent range it has, which I heard about. My PC is about 15' from my recliner & behind a half height wall & the signal still gets through.

Thanks, Mike - how does that compare to the K700?
post #6 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 AM

*praying to the keyboard Gods*.....Pretty please......a K400 with backlighting?......
post #7 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 AM

I can't speak to the other keyboards. Though I would point out that I have a smaller (imagine k400 without the trackpad and almost no extra space on the sides) keyboard for my PS3.

this keyboard is great. It is "light" and people keep saying it's "thin"... let me clarify, there is nothing "cheap" about this keyboard. It is not flimsy, but much like most other plastic consumer products, you can break it if you put your mind to it. I often hold it with my left hand on the side while typing with my right, if I'm standing.

There is a very accessible on-off toggle located on the forward edge.

I like the fact that the underside of the keyboard is white. It adds some style to it. Totally a matter of opinion.

The trackpad is very stable, it has a decent cursor speed, but it would have been great to be able to change the speed/sensitivity.

The width of this keyboard is my favorite feature. It is wide enough that it makes sense whether you're putting it on your lap or laying it on top of your dog. It is very balanced. I can't lay my chicklet PS3 keyboard on anything without it falling over, and it's too thin to place on my lap, unless I want to sit like a girl

Back lighting is completely unnecessary when they keyboard has barely any functions other than what is found on 99.9% of other keyboards out there. This isn't like your laptop, where practically every key has a secondary "Fn" use. Therefore, as long as you know how to type without looking, you'll never need back-lighting

With that said, this is not a great "remote" in my opinion. I have a windows media center remote that I use for WMC. This keyboard is for every other aspect of the HTPC.

Hope that helps

PS. I imagine a lot of that applies to the K700 as well. But I like the clean look of the K400, and I'm not sure that there would be an actual function to all those extra buttons on the 700. As I said, I don't believe I would ever use the keyboard as a main remote for viewing media.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-17-2012, 11:57 AM

The K700 is a great keyboard. I got a "Refurb" Logitech Revu which comes with this keyboard for $79.99 off Amazon about a month ago. Just looked again and its up to $131.99. Still a great deal in the long run.

Also look into the K800 if you just need a keyboard. It's back-lit and rechargeable. Its also full size which add a bit weight.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-18-2012, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaelsok View Post

Thanks, Mike - how does that compare to the K700?

I have no idea. The K400 seemed to have what I wanted, range, size, touchpad, I could not find one in a store but Amazon had it for $29.99 for a short time so I got it.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I just ordered the K400 from Amazon, they're usually good with their policies of exchange and the price was one of the lowest I've found, new.

Will keep everyone posted!
post #11 of 15 Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Received the K400 today, playing around with it as we speak, no frills install, plug in piece and go off the bat. Obviously keyboard pitch is tight in some cases and a few things to relearn, such as where the page up/down and shift keys are, however for light to moderate use I think this thing is going to serve me really well. Didn't even have to adjust the touchpad.

Thanks again!
post #12 of 15 Old 01-26-2013, 08:22 PM

Hey guys,

I bought a Logitech K700 and I cannot get it to work...

I plug in the USB, Windows 8 finds the drivers, and nothing works. Batteries are new, unit powers on with the green light,but the keys don't do anything.
No drivers on the logitech site.

Do I have a bad keyboard?
post #13 of 15 Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM

Hm.. I have the K700 (well i think thats it, came with the Revue) and it doesnt seem to work for crap unless i sit 6 feet from the pc. Im looking at the k400 now, since i need the integrated track pad. been looking at other brands that have the scroll ball or similar.. im not sure if im having problems with the 700 because its designed for the Revue and not for windows or if its a logitech problem. I mean, it works, and i like the extra buttons (or will after i get my AHK/or EG scripts up and running) but the range on this thing sucks.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 PM

I have a K400 and love it. Great range, works for anywhere in the living room. Big enough to easily type, but small and light enough to hold in your hands. IMO the absolute best feature is one that I didn't realize until about two months after I got the keyboard. You can hold the keyboard with two hands on either side sort of like a gaming controller and use your right thumb to navigate the touch pad and the other thumb to press a very clever "left mouse click" button that's located on the top left hand side of the keyboard. It's a solid keyboard and for as light as it is, it's very sturdy and doesn't seem cheaply made. For the price it's great!
post #15 of 15 Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 209
/\/\ Yeah, that. /\/\ Got mine for $5 brand new. /\/\ I like the on/off switch, too.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page