Official Streacom thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 238 Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, H87M is the next best thing, but the absence of on-booard WiFi/BT really buggs me. If I'm buying an expensive and good looking case like the Streacom, I want everything in it, no external peripheral...

I guess I'll have to wait... either for a new case or for new m-itx motherboards wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 238 Old 01-13-2014, 11:30 AM

Liked: 12

Maybe you could take a think like that ?

http://www.materiel.net/reseau/gigabyte-gc-wb867d-i-wi-fi-n-ac-et-bluetooth-4-0-le-99054.html

post #183 of 238 Old 01-13-2014, 12:23 PM

Yeah but then I couldn't install a pcie Tv card ;-)
post #184 of 238 Old 01-13-2014, 12:54 PM

I've completed building my HTPC using the FC8 Evo case. As I mentioned previously, I have the Foxconn H67S mini-itx board and Intel i3 3220T 35W cpu. Since this mobo has the cpu socket close to the heatsink in this case, and I don't have the short Streacomm pipes, I used a flat ribbon heatpipe from Amec Thermasol. Here is a picture:

The flatpipe is clamped on the cpu using the provided Streacomm bracket. The other end is clamped to the heatsink with a piece of aluminum bar. Temps looks very good - 65C after one hour of Prime95 - and stable. The heatsink is warm but touchable.
post #185 of 238 Old 01-14-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

I hope someone finds this info useful.

The Asrock Z87 ITX board will NOT fit the FC5. The socket is too close to the side of the case by the slightest amount. The CMOS battery is also in the way as the heat pipes are really designed for micro atx --They will be too long. The Asrock H87 ITX board will fit. If you notice the socket is slightly further away and the CMOS battery is not vertical. You cannot mod the heat pipes in any way that cuts into them or bends them too much.

Exactly the thread I was looking for :

As apparently many others, I am struggling to find a mini-ITX LGA1150 mobo that will fit my Streacom FC5 EVO

I have closely looked at both the ASrock Z87-ITX and H87-ITX and I don't understand how you are confident ONLY the H87-ITX will fit ? Have you tried it personnally (I couldn't find any build referenced on the Internet) ?

Thanks a lot

post #186 of 238 Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgee75 View Post

Exactly the thread I was looking for :

As apparently many others, I am struggling to find a mini-ITX LGA1150 mobo that will fit my Streacom FC5 EVO

I have closely looked at both the ASrock Z87-ITX and H87-ITX and I don't understand how you are confident ONLY the H87-ITX will fit ? Have you tried it personnally (I couldn't find any build referenced on the Internet) ?

Thanks a lot
You can see page 6, that Tank_PD tried both motherboards (ASRock Z87E and H87E). And ended up keeping H87E because the former didn't work with the pipes for the reasons discussed above (heatpipes too long interfering with a battery, not a problem in fine, but also, the fact that the pipes cannot slide properly in their mount anymore).

If you don't care about on-board WiFi/BT connectivity, there's really not much of a difficulty to find a good mini-ITX motherboard. For example, the ASRock H87M should work fine!
post #187 of 238 Old 01-14-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoFlying View Post

You can see page 6, that Tank_PD tried both motherboards (ASRock Z87E and H87E). And ended up keeping H87E because the former didn't work with the pipes for the reasons discussed above (heatpipes too long interfering with a battery, not a problem in fine, but also, the fact that the pipes cannot slide properly in their mount anymore).

If you don't care about on-board WiFi/BT connectivity, there's really not much of a difficulty to find a good mini-ITX motherboard. For example, the ASRock H87M should work fine!

My fault sorry, I didn't notice Tank_PD's further posts. Thanks for the reply.

Well, I did like the idea of having WIFI and BT connectivity initially, but all I want now is any mobo I know will be 100% guaranteed compatible to complete my build.

I have now finally shortlisted 2 mini ITX boards :

1) ASROCK H87M-ITX

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H87M-ITX/?cat=Specifications

FC5 EVO Build referenced by Tank_PD on this forum

2) ASUS H87I-PLUS

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H87IPLUS/#specifications

FC5 EVO Build referenced by Joossens here : http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66350p=577398

I can't really decide. Price is similar and features look quite the same.

Does the Realtek ALC887 vs ALC892 really matter ?

What about Intel vs. Qualcomm Gigabit LAN ? 

Anything else I should take into account ?

Any final advice/recommendation will be much appreciated !

Thanks

post #188 of 238 Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgee75 View Post

My fault sorry, I didn't notice Tank_PD's further posts. Thanks for the reply.

Well, I did like the idea of having WIFI and BT connectivity initially, but all I want now is any mobo I know will be 100% guaranteed compatible to complete my build.

I have now finally shortlisted 2 mini ITX boards :

1) ASROCK H87M-ITX
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H87M-ITX/?cat=Specifications
FC5 EVO Build referenced by Tank_PD on this forum

2) ASUS H87I-PLUS
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H87IPLUS/#specifications
FC5 EVO Build referenced by Joossens here : http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66350p=577398

I can't really decide. Price is similar and features look quite the same.
Does the Realtek ALC887 vs ALC892 really matter ?
What about Intel vs. Qualcomm Gigabit LAN ? 
Anything else I should take into account ?

Any final advice/recommendation will be much appreciated !

Thanks

This likely doesn't apply to you, but I like the Asus better than the ASrock. I own boards from both companies and I think their BIOS is better. Also, I have a 30" monitor and the ASRock is incapable of driving it beyond 1900x1200 via HDMI or single-link DVI. Neither has display port, but the HDMI on the ASUS supports higher resolutions via HDMI up to 4K. This would have helped me when I was setting it up before it went into the entertainment center.
post #189 of 238 Old 01-15-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
 I was indeed interested in ASRock H87E-ITX because of your report of Z87E's battery interfering with the heatpipes. However, I didn't find a single store online that is shipping to Europe this product (it seems to be available only in Australia). Now that Streacom answered me that three pipes are more than enough to handle a 45W CPU (i5-4670T), I'm considering again the Z87E... Has anyone tried this solution?

I am also in the same boat, trying to find a MoBo for an FC5 build. Fortunately I am living in Australia so may give the H87E-ITX/ac (x) a whirl based on the recommendations of previous posts. I also stumbled across the ASUS MAXIMUS VI GENE, an mATX board with 1 x mPCIe Combo II suitable for an 802.11ac adapter.

Is this a possibility for us stuck in this situation? Does anyone see any blatant issues with trialing this board?

post #190 of 238 Old 01-15-2014, 06:08 AM

The Asus Maximus VI Gene woudn't work in my opininion because the pipes couldn't be installed. There is something in their way (between the m-PCIE slot and the ram slots. The best option remains ASRock H87E-ITX for you, I think...
post #191 of 238 Old 01-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeFX View Post

I am also in the same boat, trying to find a MoBo for an FC5 build. Fortunately I am living in Australia so may give the H87E-ITX/ac (x) a whirl based on the recommendations of previous posts. I also stumbled across the ASUS MAXIMUS VI GENE, an mATX board with 1 x mPCIe Combo II suitable for an 802.11ac adapter.

Is this a possibility for us stuck in this situation? Does anyone see any blatant issues with trialing this board?

You all are going to think I have 1000 computers soon -- I swear I'm running out. I have this board as well. I can also confirm it will not work. The pipes cannot be installed without removing the MOSFET heat sinks you see surrounding the CPU socket.

I wouldn't get too caught up on the 1x mPCIe slot. It was meant to be more "future proof" than mSATA, but it uses a single lane supporting at most 500MB/s. The drives that fit in the slot are hard to come by and must be purchased OEM. I don't know a retail product that will work. When/if they become more accessible they are likely to be capable of speeds much higher than a 1x PCIe lane can provide. For me this slot is pretty much DOA. That being said, this is a fantastic desktop motherboard. I use it in my main machine.
post #192 of 238 Old 01-19-2014, 12:13 PM

Hello again,

Are there some specifics one must be careful to when choosing the optical drive? I was planing on buying the Panasonic UJ-265 but just noticed there isn't any eject button (or so is it mentioned on some retailer's spec sheet). I guess the front button on the Streacom case will be useless with this drive or is there some other way it can be useful?

Antoine
post #193 of 238 Old 01-20-2014, 05:18 AM

The chassis has a "universal eject" button for optical drives, but it works best with eject button located near the center. If the OD doesn't have an eject button (which sounds a little strange...), you have to use software/OS eject.
post #194 of 238 Old 01-20-2014, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoFlying View Post

Hello again,

Are there some specifics one must be careful to when choosing the optical drive? I was planing on buying the Panasonic UJ-265 but just noticed there isn't any eject button (or so is it mentioned on some retailer's spec sheet). I guess the front button on the Streacom case will be useless with this drive or is there some other way it can be useful?

Antoine
Some people sell ODD drives removed from laptops, so they are without front bezel. You have to be careful when you buy ODD drives. Retail PAN-UJ-265 has front bezel and eject button.

Regards
VideoFlying likes this.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #195 of 238 Old 01-20-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt View Post

Some people sell ODD drives removed from laptops, so they are without front bezel. You have to be careful when you buy ODD drives. Retail PAN-UJ-265 has front bezel and eject button.

Regards
Thanks, I was wondering if the retail version even had one... but you're right, it seems this retailer had mostly refurbished optical drives...
post #196 of 238 Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt View Post

Regards

Good to know. It's why I'm going to buy all my parts from your store once the short pipes are in stock.
post #197 of 238 Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I built some systems for AMD for CES 2014, including a really nice Streacom FC8 system. I used a 95w Kaveri A10 7850k and 16GB @ 2133 to show off. A little hot, but it worked and ran well. Yes, well over the 65w Streacom recommends.

I'll rebuild it next month, with a 45 or 65w Kaveri and 4 or 8 GB of 1866 memory that make much more sense from an intended HTPC performance and heat point of view.

I had to bend heatpipe #4 just a little to clear the power supply, but otherwise a straightforward build. The FC8 case was by far the absolutely highest quality PC case I have ever worked with. Truly awesome in every aspect.

Component & build details here:
http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd/blog/2014/01/23/kustom-kaveri-pushing-the-limits-with-small-form-factors

Newegg TV video of system at about 11:30 into the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=320OfxU4du4

Working up an FC10 system for the next show, stay tuned...
Created with GIMP
post #198 of 238 Old 01-24-2014, 12:33 PM

How much hotter does RAM at 2133 run compared to 1866 or the typical 1600? I want to build a system with just a 65 watt CPU and would love to bump up the RAM frequency but since it's a 24/7 system I don't want to generate too much extra heat.
post #199 of 238 Old 01-24-2014, 12:52 PM

16GB (2x8) of 2133 DRAM is just a bit warm at desktop Windows idle, but feels quite hot at full gaming load. Ok in a system with some air flow, I don't feel comfortable with that in a sealed no-flow system.
CPUs and GPUs are cool at idle, hot under load - and high performance DRAM is no different.

For HTPC use, less memory running slower should be fine, especially if not gaming.

I'll try and do a swap over the weekend to test.
post #200 of 238 Old 01-26-2014, 02:39 PM

Tried 8gb (4gx2) of 1600 DDR3. A little cooler when running the Dirt2 demo game, but about 10% loss in frame rate.
So if you want to game and have any airflow at all, get the faster RAM.
For just video, and if heat is very important (i.e. in a closed cabinet), then a little slower is better.
Both pretty cool at idle or when playing video in WMP.
post #201 of 238 Old 01-26-2014, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the test swap. I don't do any PC gaming but it's for a main/music PC. When the price difference is so small between different speeds I want the best possible. But since it's a fanless build maybe I'll just play it safe.
post #202 of 238 Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 AM

If you have room, consider slightly taller RAM with heatsink fins. Usually doesn't fit under a CPU fansink cooler, but may not be a problem in your build.
post #203 of 238 Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I am receiving e-mails with questions why the same looking chassis have different model numbers.
Wesena started manufacturing chassis under their own name couple years ago. Two years ago Wesena in partnership with Streacom added fanless chassis to their line under Streacom brand known as FC series. Later Wesena made their own ITX models under Streacom brand, named F*C.
They also made some models under Wesena brand but named in Streacom style – F*C to make it more complicated. So you can see the same chassis labeled as Wesena ITX2 or Streacom F1C or Wesena F1C!

Last spring several people left Wesena (including the designer and General Manager), started their own companies and build the same chassis under the PHT brand, so - right now - there are identical or almost identical chassis under PHT, Streacom and Wesena brands.

Equivalents:
Equivalents.xls 17k .xls file

I hope that this explanation eliminated any confusion

Best Regards

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #204 of 238 Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 AM

I notice a lot of people are looking for supported motherboards for this case.

I recently built an HTPC based on Haswell, as I wanted to be futureproofed as far as possible.

I ended up with the Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI. It just about fits - like edcal, I had to bend the outer heatpipe a bit to make the NanoPSU fit, but it's only a few milimeters. It would probably have fit anyway, but I wanted to be sure no heat was led to the PSU board.
I liked the board because A) Gigabyte has always treated me well, and B) it has built-in 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0, freeing up the PCIe for something else. (Low-power GPU down the line? Capture card?)

The complete configuration is:
  • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI
  • Intel Pentium G3220
  • 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz RAM
  • Samsung 840 Evo SSD
  • Streacom IR-reciever kit

A few crummy pics:

post #205 of 238 Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 AM

Liked: 17
Here are the specs of my 2 builds:

ASUS Z87M-PLUS
Intel Core i5-4570S Haswell 2.9GHz LGA 1150
CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB
Streacom FC10
picoPSU 160 W
Paul Pang USB v2.0
Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F128GBGS
Silverstone SOD02B
Win Server 2012 R2

and

Intel S1200KPR Server Motherboard - Socket H2 LGA-1155
Intel Xeon E3-1265LV2 2.50 GHz Processor - Socket H2 LGA-1155
2GB, 240-PIN Dimm, DDR3 PC3-85 - CT25672BA1067
Streacom FC8 Evo
PPA picoPSU 160 W
Paul Pang USB v2.0
Win Server 2012 R2

David M.
post #206 of 238 Old 01-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Server build in an FC8 Evo with no HDD's? What you got going on there?
post #207 of 238 Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

Server build in an FC8 Evo with no HDD's? What you got going on there?

David M.
post #208 of 238 Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

Yeah that's a 128GB SSD. Just curious where you're going to store all your media. Or is that all you need?
post #209 of 238 Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM

Sorry. I have all my music on a Synology NAS with 12 TB of available space. I couldn't fit that in the box tongue.gif . I am running JRiver Media Center.

David M.
post #210 of 238 Old 01-30-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

Sorry. I have all my music on a Synology NAS with 12 TB of available space. I couldn't fit that in the box tongue.gif . I am running JRiver Media Center.

Oh ok now that makes sense. I love me some JRiver.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page