Official Streacom thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 238 Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think that it would be a good idea to have one place where I (and eventually others) can answer questions about Streacom chassis.
Instead of answering individually questions by e-mail - I will answer all questions here.
No other brands here, please.

Regards

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 238 Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You should edit this and origen posts to Thread not site. Probably link to where to purchace along with some photos specs here.
post #3 of 238 Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 12
I really want a Streacom FC5 - but want the longer heatpipes so it fits correctly on the DH61AG motherboard (I don't consider partial contact sufficient - don't want hot spots on my CPU). I'd even be willing to take a set from the initial prototypes that were longer then the retail case.

Waiting 3 months is crazy. Americans are impatient By then I'll be obsessing over something new - Hopefully the Ceton Q (in which case I won't need a case anymore ).
post #4 of 238 Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

I really want a Streacom FC5 - but want the longer heatpipes so it fits correctly on the DH61AG motherboard (I don't consider partial contact sufficient - don't want hot spots on my CPU). I'd even be willing to take a set from the initial prototypes that were longer then the retail case.

Waiting 3 months is crazy. Americans are impatient By then I'll be obsessing over something new - Hopefully the Ceton Q (in which case I won't need a case anymore ).

I agree. I wanted to use one of your cases and moved on when it wasn't available.

That's just how we are.
post #5 of 238 Old 02-17-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

.................. (I don't consider partial contact sufficient - don't want hot spots on my CPU).

Hot spots? With aluminum HS? What do you mean by "hot spots"? 1 or 2 deg C difference?
Thermal conductivity of aluminum is 250 W/m oC. Thermal conductivity of copper is 400 W/m oC.
You don't consider 140W CPU, do you?
Quote:

I'd even be willing to take a set from the initial prototypes that were longer then the retail case.
Waiting 3 months is crazy.

I already answered these questions to you by e-mail that I don't have longer pipes, I can get pipes from China by air, but it is expensive. Would you like to pay for it?
Transport by sea takes time and NY Customs keep cargo for 7÷14 days.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #6 of 238 Old 03-10-2012, 10:21 PM

Liked: 11
Hey Zygmunt
I love Streacom cases, specially FC5 and FC8. I'm undecided between this two.
I've a question: Intel CIR header is compatible with both FC5OD and FC8 instead of Streacom IRRC receiver?

Intel CIR:

Thanks
post #7 of 238 Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaster View Post

Hey Zygmunt
I love Streacom cases, specially FC5 and FC8. I'm undecided between this two.
I've a question: Intel CIR header is compatible with both FC5OD and FC8 instead of Streacom IRRC receiver?

Intel CIR:

Thanks

No, unless you make some modification to chassis. Here are mounts and window for IR receiver.
LL

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #8 of 238 Old 03-17-2012, 11:17 PM

thanks for the answer, that image was quite elucidative.
Actually it's not difficult to mod de case to allow that but I do not think it's worth the work.
I may be wrong but I think that the only advantage of using the intel CIR is that you can have the USB ports with no power during S4 or S5.
Cheers
post #9 of 238 Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaster View Post

thanks for the answer, that image was quite elucidative.
Actually it's not difficult to mod de case to allow that but I do not think it's worth the work.
I may be wrong but I think that the only advantage of using the intel CIR is that you can have the USB ports with no power during S4 or S5.
Cheers

You don't need powered USB ports for Wesena IR receiver.
Did you look here?
Power for IR receiver is coming from power switch pins on MoBo.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #10 of 238 Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 AM

Oh, nice then. Good to be wrong
thanks again Zygmunt.
post #11 of 238 Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

All Wesena and Streacom chassis in stock on sale until all are sold.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #12 of 238 Old 05-21-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On request several of you guys, we created IR bin file with SLEEP option; 260-20120515-SLEEP.bin Now you can reprogram IR to go to sleep after pressing Power Button once.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #13 of 238 Old 05-28-2012, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Streacom released two new models FC9 and FC10. Production will start after Computex but pre-orders are taken already.
LL
LL

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #14 of 238 Old 07-06-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

I really want a Streacom FC5 - but want the longer heatpipes so it fits correctly on the DH61AG motherboard.
Long pipes are in stock. Available as an option with FC5-OD and as parts.

Reagrds

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #15 of 238 Old 11-06-2012, 05:32 PM

Hi,

So do I understand correctly - the Streacom/Wesena IRRC doesn't need a CIR header on the motherboard? It just uses USB (and power from the power switch). I am choosing a motherboard to use with this (in a FC9 case).

BTW, the Streacom IRRC web page says "Special Features: Power On from Off state**" and then "** Requires power to USB when off, see motherboard specification for support of this feature". If its getting power from the power switch not the USB header, what is that all about?

Cheers, Tom
post #16 of 238 Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 PM

(deleted double post)
post #17 of 238 Old 11-07-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thodo View Post

Hi,
So do I understand correctly - the Streacom/Wesena IRRC doesn't need a CIR header on the motherboard?
Correct. Never connect to CIR! USB only.
Quote:
It just uses USB (and power from the power switch).
Correct.
Quote:
I am choosing a motherboard to use with this (in a FC9 case).
BTW, the Streacom IRRC web page says "Special Features: Power On from Off state**" and then "** Requires power to USB when off, see motherboard specification for support of this feature". If its getting power from the power switch not the USB header, what is that all about?
Wrong information on their site. IR receiver takes power for switch, from power "+" pin on MoBo, however USB connector has to be pluged IN to provide ground. For all other operations IR receiver takes power from "+" on USB header. ATTENTION: pay attention to marks on plug. If you plug USB in wrong way - you will fry IR receiver.
Quote:
Cheers, Tom

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #18 of 238 Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 PM

Great, thanks for that.

A couple of other questions.

Is anything required setup-wise within windows for the IRRC, or does it 'just work'?

The streacom page also says its RC6 compatible - is this correct?

When you say 'never connect to CIR header' - is this just for the Streacom IRRC? Or do you mean in general the CIR header is to be avoided for HTPC control?
post #19 of 238 Old 11-08-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thodo View Post

Great, thanks for that.
A couple of other questions.
Is anything required setup-wise within windows for the IRRC, or does it 'just work'?
Just plug and play
Quote:
The streacom page also says its RC6 compatible - is this correct?
Correct
Quote:
When you say 'never connect to CIR header' - is this just for the Streacom IRRC?
Actualy this is Wesena IR receiver. It's design for USB.only.
Quote:
Or do you mean in general the CIR header is to be avoided for HTPC control?

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #20 of 238 Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks, appreciate the replies.
post #21 of 238 Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Zygmunt,

i want to do a hi-end build using the FC-10. I'd like to use a i7 ivy bridge, full ATX mobo and a discrete video card. i'm looking for suggestions that will work well with the case.
post #22 of 238 Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't recommend full ATX Mobo in FC10. You have only two slots for external cards so Micro ATX is enough.
You would like to instal discrete video card. How much power this card require? Please remember that Streacom doesn't have more powerful PSU than 150W yet, so it is a problem. i7 has HD 4000 built in. Is it not enough for you? If you go with i7 3770T or 3770S and not more than two mechanical HDs you should be fine with 150W or 160W PSU.
No thermal distribution is a problem but PSU unable to deliver more than 150W.
Streacom is preparing 250W PSU, but it is not ready yet.

Best Regards

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #23 of 238 Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM

my primary plan is to use for movies and general computing on the big screen rather than using my laptop from the couch. i did not want to limit the possibility of playing games at higher settings. when i saw the FC-10 i thought i can put together something new and unique that might appeal to others as well. i was hoping there were other PS options other then the 150w. do you know when the 250 is going to be available?

i am also considering other cases that might be roomier and accept a standard ATX power supply. Silverstone and Lian Li both have cases than can accommodate full ATX but , then the size starts to get large and typically the front panel designs are terrible.
post #24 of 238 Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Zygmunt,

I've just started researching these cases, and they certainly seem nice.

I'm not in a huge rush, so I think I'll wait to build my HTPC once the Haswell processors ship. Does Streacom tend to refresh yearly in the Spring (I noticed they did last year with the FC9 and FC10)?

I'm wondering if there will be a new version available this Spring....would that be necessary for Haswell mobos? Do we know if the new chipsets will be compatible with the FC9/10?
post #25 of 238 Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hat View Post

my primary plan is to use for movies and general computing on the big screen rather than using my laptop from the couch. i did not want to limit the possibility of playing games at higher settings. when i saw the FC-10 i thought i can put together something new and unique that might appeal to others as well. i was hoping there were other PS options other then the 150w. do you know when the 250 is going to be available?
They promise it in Spring 2013, so it can be March but it can be May. Will see.
Quote:
i am also considering other cases that might be roomier and accept a standard ATX power supply. Silverstone and Lian Li both have cases than can accommodate full ATX but , then the size starts to get large and typically the front panel designs are terrible.
Why do you want full ATX? Do you need seven slots?
What about OrigenAE?

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #26 of 238 Old 01-24-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Zygmunt,

I've just started researching these cases, and they certainly seem nice.

I'm not in a huge rush, so I think I'll wait to build my HTPC once the Haswell processors ship. Does Streacom tend to refresh yearly in the Spring (I noticed they did last year with the FC9 and FC10)?
I don't know anything about new models yet.
Quote:

I'm wondering if there will be a new version available this Spring....would that be necessary for Haswell mobos? Do we know if the new chipsets will be compatible with the FC9/10?
Most likely - Yes. New CPU and chipsets will be less power hungry so less heat and less demand from PSU.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #27 of 238 Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt View Post

Why do you want full ATX? Do you need seven slots?
What about OrigenAE?

I do not need that many slots at all. i want to use a higher end video card to allow the system to also play games at higher settings.
i understand cooling and power are two areas that might present a challenge to my plan.
What i want to build is more or less an all around PC in a quality case with clean lines that will fit in my media center and blend in with my current audio / video components. i dont want the case to be too big and i dont want the front panel to be overly gaudy or have too many blank plates for unnecessary optical drives.

i looked at the the OrigenAE. i'd like more information. perhaps this thread isnt the right place to get into this mush detail about a competitors case.
post #28 of 238 Old 01-24-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hat View Post

I do not need that many slots at all. i want to use a higher end video card to allow the system to also play games at higher settings.
So you don't need full ATX. If you need only one slot - mini ITX should be fine.
Anandtech tested FC10 and they use videocard and 150W PSU. Please check this review.
Quote:
i understand cooling and power are two areas that might present a challenge to my plan.
What i want to build is more or less an all around PC in a quality case with clean lines that will fit in my media center and blend in with my current audio / video components. i dont want the case to be too big and i dont want the front panel to be overly gaudy or have too many blank plates for unnecessary optical drives.

i looked at the the OrigenAE. i'd like more information. perhaps this thread isnt the right place to get into this mush detail about a competitors case.
Correct. Go to OrigenAE site.

Zygmunt
Perfect Home Theater
post #29 of 238 Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM

Hi!

I have got a FC10. It is a really nice case but I’m a little worried about the heatpipes solution. I’m planing to use an Asus P8H77-M.

The FC10 comes with 4 heatpipes. They are flat worked at both ends. This flat surface is uneven. I suppose, seeing the surface closely, that they achieved this by hammering the pipes at it ends.
Heatpipes 687k .jpg file

Streacom tested the new flat pipes system, sure, but I don't understand why they had leave the old cool-solution/concept (no EVO line, etc) that provides a CPU cooler block with solid mount on round pipes.

This is not my first system. There are dozen of articles teaching you how to apply the appropriate amount of thermal paste. I always read, that for a good thermal transition between metals, you need to apply as less as possible TIM. The objective is to fill the “minimal” gaps and achieve a closely contact between the CPU and the cooler-block or flat/direct contact pipes.

The new Streacom’s models (FC9, 10 and the Evo line having pipes with “flat” ends) have got really big gaps between the surfaces, in my opinion. I could be wrong, but I would feel saver if I have got round pipes and a firmly attachment at both ends (the old model's solution). The pipes fit “loosely” on the CPU cooler block. And while the flat pipe’s surface is uneven, producing gaps between both surfaces, you need to apply really an insane amount of TIM on the pipes. This is a mess.
Heatpipes and CPU block 604k .jpg file

Another concerning point in my build is that one pipe touches a motherboard’s capacitor. It is not possible to bend a little the pipe, because the are flat and I risk to make a kink or break it. For this problem Streacom provides the ST-HT4 Heatpipe Adapter. This adapter have got flat pipes too, and again, more new gaps to fill with tones of TIM.

I'm considering to use an alternative cooling solution. I don’t understand why Streacom leaves the old concept. There are flexible heatpipes, that would allow custom adaptations on a case that is said to support all motherboards types.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (686.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (604.0 KB, 11 views)
Osamede likes this.
post #30 of 238 Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 PM

I've just got an FC5OD and it's just what I wanted. I also got an Asus P8H77, which is also what I wanted but there's a problem. The heat pipes for the CPU pass horizontally to the case wall and in so doing block off all 6 of the SATA ports.

My fault, I guess. I should have looked at the pictures more critically. Does anyone have any ideas where I might go from here? It's an I5 2.8 GHz processor, on the limit claimed for the case. So I'm guessing that removing two pipes is not a good idea. Looking at the pipe shapes, and thinking aloud, it looks as though it should be reasonable to have them rise after the CPU block (2 cm?) and then fall slightly when they reach the wall. Does that sound possible? Anything else? or am I looking for a new board?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page