AVS Forum banner

Official Wesena thread

14K views 88 replies 27 participants last post by  cburbs 
#1 ·
I think that it would be a good idea to have one place where I (and eventually others) can answer questions about Wesena chassis.

Instead of answering individually questions by e-mail - I will answer all questions here.

No other brands here, please.

Regards

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/21820998

As a builder sourcing slot loading drives is a royal pita,btw. Very expensive as well.

It'd be better to either have no button or a button on the middle/right. At least on the middle/right there are more choice like the Sony Optiarc drives which seem to be plentiful and not too bad in price ($36.99 for a DVD-RW) and available from respectable sellers like Amazon.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion /forum/post/21821794

It'd be better to either have no button or a button on the middle/right. At least on the middle/right there are more choice like the Sony Optiarc drives which seem to be plentiful and not too bad in price ($36.99 for a DVD-RW) and available from respectable sellers like Amazon.

OK. When I order next cargo of chassis with slot ODDs they will be with eject button on the right.

#30 ·
Wesena makes e series chassis with flat surfaces sanded, and corners sand blasted.

They consider make chassis sand blasted on flat surfaces also. I think that their models are unique because of this combination, but this is my opinion

What do you think, guys?

Reactions: Tedd
#32 ·
If you are going to use this case (ITX7-2) with an AMD Llano and an Asus F1A75-i deluxe, you can get away without having to buy an after market cpu cooler. The stock cooler fits perfectly inbetween the 3.5" disc fins. No need to bend them out of the way. You still will not be able to use a 3.5" drive though

#33 ·
Prices for all models go up. So starting with new cargo prices in the USA will go up also. If you want Wesena chassis get it now.

#35 ·
Can you put an optical drive with right-hand side button in the Wesena with left-side button?

And just use eject in OS?

I notice some slot optical drives don't even have eject button, is that true? I have one in my laptop and there is no physical eject button on outside

#37 ·
On request several of you guys, we created IR bin file with SLEEP option; 260-20120515-SLEEP.bin Now you can reprogram IR to go to sleep after pressing Power Button once.

#38 ·
ITX1, ITX4 and ITX5 are shipping now.

ITX4 and ITX4 have new HD bracket, so distance from motherboard posts to lowest part of the bracket is 54mm = 2" 1/8

ITX1 has 40mm fan installed already.

Regards

#39 ·
I am very interested in the ITX5 (I do not need the dvd/blu ray drive).

I would like to use it with an Intel DH77DF board, a Core I3 2100T (35w) and two HDs (one 2.5'' + one 3.5''). I would also like to install the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 dual TV tuner.

I am not interested in gaming, this system will be strictly used for recording/watch HDTV shows and watch my collection of videos stored in the 3.5'' 2 TB HD.

This is my first time with a mini-ITX build and I am a little worried about the temperatures that CPU, HDs and HDTV tuner can get in a such a small case.

Anyone that can share his experience with such or similar build?

Thanks!

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alg /forum/post/22078131

I would like to use it with an Intel DH77DF board, a Core I3 2100T (35w) and two HDs (one 2.5'' + one 3.5'').

If you install 3.5" HD you have to use low profile fan because total height of motherboard with CPU and HSF installed on it is 1,5 ~40mm
Quote:
I would also like to install the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 dual TV tuner.

I am not interested in gaming, this system will be strictly used for recording/watch HDTV shows and watch my collection of videos stored in the 3.5'' 2 TB HD.

This is my first time with a mini-ITX build and I am a little worried about the temperatures that CPU, HDs and HDTV tuner can get in a such a small case.

35W CPU is not a problem in this case. Please look here for some recommendations and here for links to reviews.
Quote:

Thanks!

Regards

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alg /forum/post/22078131

I would like to use it with an Intel DH77DF board, a Core I3 2100T (35w) and two HDs (one 2.5'' + one 3.5''). I would also like to install the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 dual TV tuner.

Thanks!

The i3-2100T comes with a very low profile HSF that should fit without issue.

I can confirm when mine arrives.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt  /t/1394605/official-wesena-thread/0_50#post_22078818

If you install 3.5" HD you have to use low profile fan because total height of motherboard with CPU and HSF installed on it is 1,5 ~40mm

I should have found this thread before I ordered, but I believe your website is misleading in regards to this height for the ITX5.

As quoted from the website:
Quote:
Maximum height of motherboard with everything installed on it is: 2” 1/8 = 54mm

HDD: 1x2.5” HD and one 3.5" HD or two 2.5" HDs.

I read that to say that if I have a 2.5" and 3.5" hard drive installed, the maximum height of the motherboard with heatsink and cpu cooler is 2 1/8". I found out the hard way that this is not the case, as you have also stated in the part of your post that I quoted.

Your website does give the 1.5 inch height as the limit for the ITX7 case. According to your statement above, the height limit is the same for both, even though the website says differently.

Based on my measurements of the itx5, there appears to be a simple solution that I believe has to have been the design intent of the itx5 but was not implemented for some reason. The hard drive bracket in the itx5 is the exact same as the itx7 as far as I can tell from the pictures. What this means is that my itx5 bracket also has a large void (5/8") on top where a disc drive can be installed, even thought the case has no slot for such drive. It happens that this 5/8" space is the same as the height difference between the quoted 1.5" max cpu/hsf height limit listed for the itx7 vs. the 2 1/8" height limit quoted for the itx5. I believe that the hard drive bracket was meant to be flattened out on top, giving that additional 5/8" clearance to the cpu/hsf when a 3.5" hard drive is installed.

I'm going unbend and trim back some of the mounting flanges to see if I can make it work as I believe it was intended to. I'll post pictures if I'm successful.

I'm just posting this so others are aware, in its current form, there is zero benefit as to the internal height of the case with the itx5 vs. the itx7, contrary to what the website would lead you to believe.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by indolent  /t/1394605/official-wesena-thread/30#post_22125507

I should have found this thread before I ordered, but I believe your website is misleading in regards to this height for the ITX5.

As quoted from the website:

I read that to say that if I have a 2.5" and 3.5" hard drive installed, the maximum height of the motherboard with heatsink and cpu cooler is 2 1/8".
No, no with 3.5" HD installed. This is information about maximum possible height of MoBo with all parts installed on it (on MoBo) When you install 3.5" HD over MoBo you take a part of this space.
Quote:
I found out the hard way that this is not the case, as you have also stated in the part of your post that I quoted.

Your website does give the 1.5 inch height as the limit for the ITX7 case.
Because ITX7 has 1" blades for 3.5"HD. ITX4/5 have 3/8" blades for 3.5 HD.
Quote:
According to your statement above, the height limit is the same for both, even though the website says differently.

Based on my measurements of the itx5, there appears to be a simple solution that I believe has to have been the design intent of the itx5 but was not implemented for some reason. The hard drive bracket in the itx5 is the exact same as the itx7 as far as I can tell from the pictures. What this means is that my itx5 bracket also has a large void (5/8") on top where a disc drive can be installed, even thought the case has no slot for such drive.
This is a space for trwo 2.5" HDs
Quote:
It happens that this 5/8" space is the same as the height difference between the quoted 1.5" max cpu/hsf height limit listed for the itx7 vs. the 2 1/8" height limit quoted for the itx5. I believe that the hard drive bracket was meant to be flattened out on top, giving that additional 5/8" clearance to the cpu/hsf when a 3.5" hard drive is installed.

I'm going unbend and trim back some of the mounting flanges to see if I can make it work as I believe it was intended to. I'll post pictures if I'm successful.

I'm just posting this so others are aware, in its current form, there is zero benefit as to the internal height of the case with the itx5 vs. the itx7, contrary to what the website would lead you to believe.
With 3.5" HD installed, space under HD in ITX6/7 and ITX4/5 is identical. Sorry for misunderstanding.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygmunt  /t/1394605/official-wesena-thread/0_50#post_22125879

Thanks for the response.
Quote:
No, no with 3.5" HD installed. This is information about maximum possible height of MoBo with all parts installed on it (on MoBo) When you install 3.5" HD over MoBo you take a part of this space.

I'd suggest listing the maximum cpu/hsf sizes allowable in these different configurations on the product page since that is all you really have to go by when purchasing components. With the information listed, it isn't clear how much of the space is consumed by a 3.5" drive.
Quote:
This is a space for trwo 2.5" HDs

I get that the rear 2.5" hd is mounted in this space, but in the front of the case, the bracket still has the mounting tabs for an optical drive. With the tabs in the way, the 2.5" drive has to be mounted under the bracket, just like the 3.5" drive. This means that top front half of the bracket is unusable for the itx5 case and just a bunch of wasted space.

As a suggested revision, I'd say the manufacturer should look at flattening the bracket across the top of the case and mounting the rear 2.5" drive underneath it as well. Seems like a simple change to free up that extra 5/8 inches of space for a larger heat sink.

#45 ·
Man, that itx1 looks like a perfect Trinity HTPC. Would it be able to run the highest end Trinity A10 5800K (100W)? Zygmunt, I saw that you mentioned some extra clearance could be had for the HSF if part of the hard drive bay is removed. Would it still be able to support a 2.5" drive there, or somewhere else? I am having trouble visualizing it because there are so few internal pics of them.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by triclops41  /t/1394605/official-wesena-thread/30#post_22183443

Man, that itx1 looks like a perfect Trinity HTPC. Would it be able to run the highest end Trinity A10 5800K (100W)?
100W in ITX1? It may be too much for this small enclosure. Additional fan may help
Quote:
Zygmunt, I saw that you mentioned some extra clearance could be had for the HSF if part of the hard drive bay is removed. Would it still be able to support a 2.5" drive there, or somewhere else? I am having trouble visualizing it because there are so few internal pics of them.
There is a space for 2.5" HD on the right of the chassis. Look at manual. ITX1 is identical to ITX2. The only difference; no slot for ODD.

You may remove bracket if you are OK with one HD mounted with only two screws and a fan with only one. You may use a tape for fans. I recommend to add second fan anyway..

Regards

#47 ·
Looking for bargain?

I found that some chassis are not perfect or even – in my opinion – defective; aluminum panels don’t fit perfectly as I expect. So, I set prices under my cost for these chassis. If you are going to see front only – it may be chassis for you.

Chassis with small defects IMO, (according to some people there are none or not important) are called "Imperfect". Chassis with larger ones - "Defective".

Please look at pictures and decide if such chassis is for you or not. People who want to expose front only may don't care about defects on top or side panels and save some money going with imperfect or defective chassis.

#49 ·
Distance from posts to cover is 67mm. I don't know how much motherboard with CPU socket and CPU takes. 7mm? Probably more. ~12mm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.