Current State of Blu Ray Software for HTPC - 2012 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-17-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the market for a slim Blu Ray drive, so I can watch my boxed set of James Bond movies.

Most of the drives seem to be OEM versions sold without Blu Ray player software.

My only Blu Ray experience is with PowerDVD 8 from a few years ago. My recollection is that it worked ok at the time.

My hardware is an i3-2100T with H67 motherboard. Will use optical out to a receiver, but only 3.1 sound. No rear channels.

What's the best 3rd party software at this point? WinDVD? PowerDVD? Any particular version I should avoid?

Thanks!

Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I prefer Arcsoft TMT over Powerdvd or Windvd. You can also play with Mpc-HC, which is free.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-17-2012, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I've heard of TMT too. How well does it integrate (if at all) with WMC 7? I use WMC 7 - sorry I didn't state that in the first post. Ooops!
post #4 of 4 Old 02-18-2012, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
TMT5 "opens" inside the WMC and you see all the WMC style controls.

WinDVD Pro 10 has an icon in WMC but it "opens" outside of WMC environment so you the stand alone player type of controls. But when you close out the player it goes right back to the WMC mode. WinDVD Pro 10 has been replaced by WinDVD Pro 11.

WinDVD has superior SD-DVD playback (very good up-scaling) but equally good BD playback.

I have not had very good luck with the latest TMT5 (v114)version. I had to rollback to v87 to get stutterless performance. Each person has a different experience, since TMT had an older version that worked well I had a choice...and did not lose any functionality for 2D BD playback.

WinDVD Pro 11 is consistently priced at $60, while TMT5 is usually priced at $100 and they offer these lightening deals that bring the price to $40-50.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page