post #31 of 53 Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.ko View Post

Should I get something like this for that and pass audio through the optical connector to my AVR? How bad would be the overall quality compared to HDMI, would I still be able to get 7.1 channel sound effectively?

Don't bother.
  1. Your motherboard has an S/PDIF out header right next to your Clear CMOS jumper. All you need is something like this
  2. You lose HD audio and multichannel PCM. Best you can get is DTS/AC3 or stereo PCM.
Quote:

I did not not know that you could add a discrete GPU and pass only audio through that! That is great to know, but would the AVR have problems with that setup, using it for only audio through HDMI!

To be precise, it would not be only audio. HDMI audio is interleaved with a video signal so you would have your desktop in either clone mode (recommended) or extended mode. Audio would only be passed with one of the video signals though (which would be the one connected to your receiver). This method is used by people who have a 3D TV but only an HDMI 1.3 receiver.

An alternative may be a simple HDMI splitter but it may require an EDID override.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

You lose HD audio and multichannel PCM. Best you can get is DTS/AC3 or stereo PCM.

- could you elaborate on that a little bit, would I be able to get surround sound from my 7.1 speaker set up? Would I notice the audio quality loss (i'm not an audiophile at all) just an average listener!

If I add a discrete GPU (disable crossfire), and hook up another HDMI cable from the discrete GPU to my AVR, and have the HDMI out from the motherboard running straight to the HDMI 3 on the TV would that work well, and produce audio video in sync?
post #33 of 53 Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Seems you're convinced the video connections you've had are best and we can't sway you... this becomes a bit of a subjective issue although you would agree they do connect both audio/video when switched through the Yammy?

As far as AT&T U-verse you are S-O-L my friend. Their system is IPTV and not compatible with CabelCard technology. You'll have to use their STB/DVR service(s). Oh, and your Hauppauge 2250 is now useless for your cable if you have U-verse, although it'd still be good for OTA using a known "good" antenna.

7.1 from the USB dongle or SPDIF = NO. While your receiver will attempt to use all 7 speakers, it will not be the HD audio formats presented on the BR-disc, only the 5.1 formats of DD, DTS. To pass the 7.1 formats you need the HDMI Audio in a video card although I too only use 5.1 on my Onkyo 803 AVR's 7.1 surround sound - the 803 doesn't decode the HD formats even though it is an old 7.1 AVR by definition :0

On the single pixel line along the edge... I recall reading there's a MicroSoft patch to correct that stray line - do a web search (or even one on here) and you'll find it.

Personally I'd try to come to resolution with using the Yammy all on one of the Samsung's HDMI inputs, which is straight forward, simple and (should I dare say) proper. Adding a second dGPU is complicated and could cause you headaches getting them configured while forcing you to always be switching the TV between inputs. Using SPDIF is OK although you'll be forever limited to 5.1 audio formats and TV switching.

Let us know!
post #34 of 53 Old 02-20-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yes they do connect audio video when switched through the AVR!

As far as U-Verse and and the DVR goes, I got the TV as part of the deal, only to avoid a one time installation fee, their C/S said they would have to charge me a 1 time installation fee of around $298 if I am getting only the internet and the phone! But add the TV, at least for a month, and they would waive the installation fee! So I said add it for sure (I would end up paying a month's subscription of $28 for the TV instead of the $298). I got HD free for 12 months and the basic service (U-Family) plus HBO and other stuff free for 3 months as well! So I would disconnect the TV next month and will be back to the OTA channels and Netflix, Amazon VoD, VUDU and Hulu soon! I never had Cable / Satellite before this with Comcast or anyone else, just the OTA! I got the TV Tuner card on the HTPC because I couldn't resist a deal I found on Amazon for $45 (retail not OEM)!

So I don't mind being S-O-L with the cable card tuner, was never planning on investing in that at all! Explained this just to satisfy your curiosity, now back to the reason for the thread!

I am open to trying to switch everything via HDMI3/DVI on the TV but and trying to apply the patch that you talked about- now that is a Microsoft patch does that mean it would work only on Microsoft OS systems like the HTPC and DVR is Windows based as well I believe, what about the other systems! I don't want to loose HD audio and 7.1 surround sound for sure, so whatever works will be good!

Here is my question though, now we identified the AVR as the issue and that the HTPC res is fine when connected directly to the TV, isn't there any adjustments that I can do on the AVR (or on the TV) to get that adjusted? Instead of shifting everything to HDMI3 on the Samsung?

Oh and I use a Logitech Harmony remote for all the above devices so switching between inputs is one touchscreen button operation with that once programmed, no issues at all, I just hit Watch HTPC and the remote does the rest, that is why I said I don't mind the HTPC to HDMI3 conenction!
post #35 of 53 Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

If is use the discrete GPU option, how can I do what vladd mentioned here:
Quote:

With AMD graphics, you will only be able to send audio through one HDMI adaptor do you would set that one to be the one connected to the AVR.

- what I'm wondering now!
post #36 of 53 Old 02-20-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

You'd want the "better" GPU to connect to your display and the 'lesser' to perform the HDMI Audio in addition to its standard 'video' role and connect that one's HDMI to the Yammy so it can pass the audio to the Yammy.

e.g. your HD6530D iGPU to the display w/no HDMI audio while a $20 HD5450 assigned with HDMI Audio to the Yammy. Moreover, you don't need any more than the HD5xxx series to bitstream the HD audio 7.1 formats to your Yammy.
post #37 of 53 Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

You'd want the "better" GPU to connect to your display and the 'lesser' to perform the HDMI Audio in addition to its standard 'video' role and connect that one's HDMI to the Yammy so it can pass the audio to the Yammy.

e.g. your HD6530D iGPU to the display w/no HDMI audio while a $20 HD5450 assigned with HDMI Audio to the Yammy. Moreover, you don't need any more than the HD5xxx series to bitstream the HD audio 7.1 formats to your Yammy.

Thank you! Got that, but I was more wanting to know what should I enable or disable to make sure that I sent Audio through one adapter? Should I change any settings within CCC or BIOS to make sure that windows or the AVR is not confused!

Also what happens if I pause a movie, would the audio also be stopped automatically, how does that happen, sorry never did this before (using a GPU just for audio) hence the confusion?
post #38 of 53 Old 02-21-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally I'd try to come to resolution with using the Yammy all on one of the Samsung's HDMI inputs, which is straight forward, simple and (should I dare say) proper. Adding a second dGPU is complicated and could cause you headaches getting them configured while forcing you to always be switching the TV between inputs. Using SPDIF is OK although you'll be forever limited to 5.1 audio formats and TV switching.

Recall when I said this earlier?

At this point it'd be speculation as I'm not trying to use two video cards although I think when you get them both installed it will become clear as you configure the drivers.... or, it could be you'd disable the on-board audio thus the iGPU would not have audio capability. Again, outside my experience.

As far as pausing I'd imagine since the pause is in the player everything would pause. As far as sync... maybe the same thing since they're both feeding from the same source.
post #39 of 53 Old 02-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

DLP will never get a perfect fit. This is a limitation of DLP technology as this is a projection TV.

I have a DLP as well.

Not true, I have a Samsung 61" DLP with an A8-3850 and I can run at 1920x1080 @ 60Hz and it fills the screen perfectly. Make sure you have the latest BIOS and driver
post #40 of 53 Old 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiva View Post

Not true, I have a Samsung 61" DLP with an A8-3850 and I can run at 1920x1080 @ 60Hz and it fills the screen perfectly. Make sure you have the latest BIOS and driver

I think this depends on the model of the TV. The newer version are better than the older versions of DLP.

I realized after I posted that my in-laws desktop is almost perfect compared to mine. The only difference is theirs is a year newer and is a LED light source.

So you are correct.
post #41 of 53 Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Recall when I said this earlier?

At this point it'd be speculation as I'm not trying to use two video cards although I think when you get them both installed it will become clear as you configure the drivers.... or, it could be you'd disable the on-board audio thus the iGPU would not have audio capability. Again, outside my experience.

As far as pausing I'd imagine since the pause is in the player everything would pause. As far as sync... maybe the same thing since they're both feeding from the same source.

Thanks Andrew...you have been a great help! I have another thread on another forum, regarding this specific issue of how to configure 2 video cards! Hopefully someone has done this before and would share how they did it!

Doesn't mean that any of you here (even though you guys are AV gurus, some might be PC/HTPC gurus as well) can't share their pointers. Hopefully something will come up, I'll post once I have that resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiva View Post

I do have the latest driver for sure, I'm running catalyst 12.1 and the driver that came along with it! CCC tells me that I have the latest driver! BIOS - well I haven't updated myself nor have I checked, will do, but highly unlikely that would fix it though! I have only updated BIOS in the past if the old one was giving me some sort of trouble! I will check though!

Regarding your setup, I am guessing that you have the 61" version of the same TV that I have! So that would make your setup the closest to mine, did you have to do anything special for your display to be perfect!

Quote:

I think this depends on the model of the TV. The newer version are better than the older versions of DLP.

I realized after I posted that my in-laws desktop is almost perfect compared to mine. The only difference is theirs is a year newer and is a LED light source.

So you are correct.

My bad I should have given you the model number before. It is a Samsung HL67A750, they have a 61 and a 67 inch, I got the 67" and yes this has the LED light source!

Which was one of the main reasons why I bought this, did not want to replace the lamp every few years!

Do you know what your in-laws have done to get near perfect resolution, can you share their fix? Also do you know how would I go about configuring the dual GPU on each for transmitting audio and video.

All help appreciated!
post #42 of 53 Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

I picked the Radeon 5xxx series, something like this ASUS silent card based on what I read here- that the 5xxx series supports - bit streaming HD check the table in the middle of the page! Also based on what Andrew suggested above - $20 cards!

Is that the best choice in your opinion or should I get something else, this sound card high end sound card is capable of doing the same, would that be a better choice? I know its refurbished and still more expensive but if that works better then I will get that!
post #43 of 53 Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't say although I would mention I'm not sure what or whose drivers that sound card would take, or how it would register, and it costs more! I'd stick with the cheap solution (please don't get me started here, again) and work out the configuration issues that will surely arise.

OK, got me started... again, as a test, have you connected the other devices directly to HDMI 1 and then HDMI 3 on the TV and seen how they compare? I still have faith this apparent image quality difference can be resolved using the on-board HD6530D and the Yammy. Maybe you could snap some pics to help us see this
post #44 of 53 Old 02-22-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm with Andrew on both points.

Don't get the Xonar. You will be limiting yourself on options for playback with HD audio bitstreaming (only works with TMT and ffdshow). Not to mention that I could never get it to work with my Yamaha RX-V863.

There has got to be a setting that we are missing. You can try disabling the monitor check on the Yamaha (Advanced Setup -> "Mon.Chk"). Then play around with the video conversion settings on the Yamaha.
post #45 of 53 Old 03-12-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry guys! Been a month almost after the last discussion on this thread.

Just an update - IT WORKS, and the setup was simple!

I used this Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 and hooked up the AVR and the TV separately using 2 HDMI cables and I was done! I had to switch the GPU from PCI-e to on-board in my mobo BIOS, becuse when you plug in a PCI-e GPU card the Mobo automatically switches your video out from the on-board to the ports on the card, which is not how I wanted it so I had to switch it to on-board there, and disable crossfire to ensure they both act as separate GPU's and not as one. Mine was already disabled, probably because the HD 5xxx series is not the right crossfire card for a A6 APU, I think it has to be a HD 6xxx card.

Anyways, long story short I did this and adjusted the screen size as windfire has detailed above, pretty straight forward and now I have HD quality picture and sound from 2 different ports and I can use the 67" screen to surf or watch HULU web only videos - which is pretty awesome! The picture is now completely filled on the screen (I did tweak the adjustments on the TV to move and re size the screen image) and the sound is in 7.1 if your media supports it (eg; Blu-ray).

The only issue (not a big one, I can definitely live with it) - is that now the image on the screen is tilted upwards a bit (probably 1/10 of an inch). Which doesn't affect most of the stuff that I do, just when I go to close a page the part of the X sign at the top right is slightly cut off, anyone knows why?

Thanks again for your responses and feedback.

So its official we can get a full screen picture from an HTPC on a Samsung DLP by hooking upt he input to the right HDMI port (HDMI 3) and renaming it to PC and just tweaking the screen settings a bit! Awesome now! Thanks!
post #46 of 53 Old 03-12-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

(I did tweak the adjustments on the TV to move and re size the screen image)

The only issue (not a big one, I can definitely live with it) - is that now the image on the screen is tilted upwards a bit (probably 1/10 of an inch). Which doesn't affect most of the stuff that I do, just when I go to close a page the part of the X sign at the top right is slightly cut off, anyone knows why?

So its official we can get a full screen picture from an HTPC on a Samsung DLP by hooking upt he input to the right HDMI port (HDMI 3) and renaming it to PC and just tweaking the screen settings a bit! Awesome now! Thanks!

Right, you can get a "full screen picture" but this still isn't 1:1 pixel mapping. If it were then you wouldn't have to do any tweaking or moving of the picture.

This has been similar to my experience as well. It works and works really well but its not quite perfect. And the LED DLPs seem to be more forgiving than the color wheel DLPs.
post #47 of 53 Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Right, you can get a "full screen picture" but this still isn't 1:1 pixel mapping. If it were then you wouldn't have to do any tweaking or moving of the picture.

This has been similar to my experience as well. It works and works really well but its not quite perfect. And the LED DLPs seem to be more forgiving than the color wheel DLPs.

1:1 or not this is a 100% improvement from what I had before (un-watchable to watchable and then a lot more) and it is full screen (if you have to force ratios and percentages into that then I would say 99.999999%) . I will post pictures tonight to show what I mean.

So I would strongly recommend anyone facing the same dilemma to try this and see if they can mirror the setup and thereby get a much better viewing experience that is what we are after.

Do not just ditch the whole idea "assuming" this is how DLP's are and they will not work to give you the best picture. Or even worse try to get a new LCD or plasma screen to solve this problem. ABSOLUTELY not necessary.

If you have a Samsung then try what I tried, if you another brand then check your manual and there should be something in there. This thread can be now considered closed / solved. Thank you all for your help.
post #48 of 53 Old 03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a DLP and think its great so obviously I agree. The strange thing is that although the desktop is not quite perfect (probably 98%) I am convinced that playback actually is or at the very least so small that I cannot tell that's its not perfect. And that's what's important.
post #49 of 53 Old 03-16-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have a DLP and think its great so obviously I agree. The strange thing is that although the desktop is not quite perfect (probably 98%) I am convinced that playback actually is or at the very least so small that I cannot tell that's its not perfect. And that's what's important.

Playback within WMC was always perfect for me, it was just the stuff that I used outside of WMC that was an issue, like XBMC, surfing (HULU web only episodes), changing a setting on the control panel, even doing general maintenance work on the system, anything outside WMC was a pain because I could not see the whole screen. That is why I started this thread after around 2 months of accepting it the way it was (I was still using the HTPC for movies and TV), it is set to boot into WMC, so it was kinda out of sight out of mind.

So yes playback was never the issue, everything else apart from playback was.

Now everything is perfect and I did not even loose the sound quality. So I'm happy.
post #50 of 53 Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Sorry guys! Been a month almost after the last discussion on this thread.

Just an update - IT WORKS, and the setup was simple!

I used this Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 and hooked up the AVR and the TV separately using 2 HDMI cables and I was done! I had to switch the GPU from PCI-e to on-board in my mobo BIOS, becuse when you plug in a PCI-e GPU card the Mobo automatically switches your video out from the on-board to the ports on the card, which is not how I wanted it so I had to switch it to on-board there, and disable crossfire to ensure they both act as separate GPU's and not as one. Mine was already disabled, probably because the HD 5xxx series is not the right crossfire card for a A6 APU, I think it has to be a HD 6xxx card.

Anyways, long story short I did this and adjusted the screen size as windfire has detailed above, pretty straight forward and now I have HD quality picture and sound from 2 different ports and I can use the 67" screen to surf or watch HULU web only videos - which is pretty awesome! The picture is now completely filled on the screen (I did tweak the adjustments on the TV to move and re size the screen image) and the sound is in 7.1 if your media supports it (eg; Blu-ray).

So 2 generation older GPU solved you problem? Sounds strange to me....

Whatever floats your boat.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #51 of 53 Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

So 2 generation older GPU solved you problem? Sounds strange to me....

Whatever floats your boat.

Sorry not sure whether english is your first language but what solved my problem (assuming you understood what that was from the OP) is what was mentioned in post no. 10. That is what floated my boat.

The 5xxx series GPU was only in the picture because I didn't want to step down to spdif and loose 7.1 channel audio. That idea worked too. The Llano onboard still handles all the video and very well too.

So you joined the discussion late please read (and understand if that not too much to ask) what is posted before you came. Just shared the solution for any one who had a similar issue and the fix is NOT getting an additional GPU as the above poster misunderstood. The fix is to change the HDMI settings and renaming the port. Comprehende...!
post #52 of 53 Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13

Not sure what lead you to say English is not my first language???? I would sort of call that rude...

It does sound strange to a person who's built a few PC's and is officially CompTIA A+ that a HD55xx video card would solve your audio issues when OEM's can't test every possible configuration.

I could have said ALOT more and I almost did.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #53 of 53 Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

Not sure what lead you to say English is not my first language???? I would sort of call that rude...

It does sound strange to a person who's built a few PC's and is officially CompTIA A+ that a HD55xx video card would solve your audio issues when OEM's can't test every possible configuration.

I could have said ALOT more and I almost did.

What led me to believe English is not your first language is the fact that you never got what this thread was started for nor did you understand what fixed the issue? Zoom out from the discrete card and focus on the real issue and I'm sure you will get it eventually.

Again you missed the point all together. So call it what you will, but read the above posts carefully. My problem is solved and you have real nice degree, hope that serves you well. But never stop learning,

Please try and understand it was something that worked, and it will work even if I take the discrete GPU (which seems to be what you are obsessed with) out of the equation.

"Built a few PC's" - almost all of us have, haven't we? Even I did (quite a few including this HTPC) and I don't even have a fancy degree like that, I have another one which is equally fancy (and steady job to match it) but not mentioning it here as it is non-relevant.

What you say or not say using your video is your choice and a reflection of yourself, I cannot control that neither do I intend to, so feel free to indulge yourself. It does not affect or bother me.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page