New build, video card suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, this will be my 2nd HTPC build, and I'm trying to make it pretty quiet, cause I hate having to crank up the volume just to hear it over a loud pc, and the one area I'm stuck on right now is the graphics card. I'd like a fanless one to keep the noise down. I plan on watching HD tv recordings, and blu rays. No 3D, but I would like to be able to game here and there. Nothing serious, but decent. Under $100 would be nice. I noticed one mentioned here that looks pretty good. Sorry, it's my first post, so I can't post URLs, but if you go to NewEgg, and search for "SAPPHIRE Ultimate 100326UL Radeon HD 6670", it will take you right to it. It's 1GB 128-bit GDDR5.

It seems decent from what I can tell. Opinions? Also, will I be able to run my audio over the HDMI from this one as well? It mentions "Dolby TrueHD and DTSHD Master Audio Support" in the features section, so I assume it will, but I've never had experience trying to get a video card to run audio over the HDMI.

I'm trying to be picky with the video card on this build because in my current build, while it all looks great, there seem to be slight scan lines in the video, and I'm not sure if it's the video card or what. Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
should be fine
post #3 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Why not build a Sandy Bridge HTPC and not even need a video card?
post #4 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Make sure that card fits your case, it is taller than most with the heat pipes on top. If the height is a problem, Sapphire has a handful of cards with the Arctic cooling fan that are extremely quiet.

post #5 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Weird, I told it to send me notification if I got a reply, but I didn't get any emails. Anyway, I plan on using the nMediaPC 2000B case, and it's pretty big, so it should have plenty of room for a bulky video card.

As far as Sandy Bridge goes, I really don't know a whole lot about it. In theory, it sounds great for a HTPC, as long as I'm not planning on gaming at all. My current HTPC is in a bulky old computer case, so I have it downstairs, cabling everything up to the TV on the top floor. So gaming on it hasn't been convenient. However, with this new build, being in a nice case and all, I'm going to put it right in the entertainment center, so I might like to game on it every now and then. However, if that's the only thing determining whether or not I get a discrete graphics card or not, I think Sandy Bridge would be a good solution. Then I just have to decide if I'm anal enough to let the whole 23.976 fps thing get my goat.

I'm going to have to do more research on Sandy Bridge, thanks for mentioning that. I didn't really know anything about it so hadn't considered it. Thanks a lot for now making my HTPC build planning phase a little more complicated.

I guess I need to decide if I want to do a little gaming on this system every now and then also.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

What about the AMD Llano stuff? Isn't Llano the comparable AMD version of Sandy Bridge?
post #7 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

There, now I've posted three times, I can post URLs. Reason I ask about the Llano is that Newegg has this cpu/mobo bundle for a pretty good deal.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
llano is a good HTPC choice. Not sure about fan-free, but I'm sure there are options. I'm watching the new 7750 cards. None are fan-free yet, but I expect that there will be - and possible to do light gaming as well.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

llano is a good HTPC choice. Not sure about fan-free, but I'm sure there are options. I'm watching the new 7750 cards. None are fan-free yet, but I expect that there will be - and possible to do light gaming as well.

So are you saying that some sandy bridge chips can go fanless? That'd be sweet. Then all I'd have are few nice case fans and some HDD's and a decent PSU making noise. That would be a pretty quiet system. My OS drive will be SSD.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

BTW - Anyone know why I'm not getting email notifications for these replies? I'm subscribed to the thread and I've check my spam.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM

Liked: 11
How far away is your setup from the TV now? My PC is in another room and I use a USB extender with USB hub. I game using a wireless 360 controller and crossfire 5670.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

How far away is your setup from the TV now? My PC is in another room and I use a USB extender with USB hub. I game using a wireless 360 controller and crossfire 5670.

It's one floor below pretty much right below the tv. I do have a user extender for the IR receiver. But the usb cable on the receiver is so long it's actually downstairs too. Never thought about putting a hub upstairs. Oh well I'm excited to have it upstairs with this new build anyway.

Lol now the email notifications are working.

DO. I edited the post to say I DO have a USB extender for my IR receiver lol. Stupid phone.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update, I think I will go with a Sandy Bridge build. i3-2100 or similar. Just gotta watch slick deals for a good deal on the cpu and mobo.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paqmanbiker View Post

Just an update, I think I will go with a Sandy Bridge build. i3-2100 or similar. Just gotta watch slick deals for a good deal on the cpu and mobo.

if you have a microcenter by you they are always running specials on the i5 and i7 with motherboard bundled http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...3#/750770a3/27
post #15 of 16 Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Amd 7750
post #16 of 16 Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk1987 View Post

if you have a microcenter by you they are always running specials on the i5 and i7 with motherboard bundled http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...3#/750770a3/27

Yeah I've seen that they have great prices, I don't live near one.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page