AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater Computers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/)
-   -   Bluray Player for WMC, is there any decent option? Is Windows 7 ready for Bluray? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1395070-bluray-player-wmc-there-any-decent-option-windows-7-ready-bluray.html)

gaidin43 02-19-2012 06:21 AM

I have searched through a ton of sites looking for a decent replacement to the OEM version of PowerDVD 9 that came with my blu ray drive. It seems that few programs work well with WMC7 and those that do cost as much as an off the shelf player so why but the software and the drive for an HTPC.

Is there a decent player that is FREE or less then $50? One that will play from within WMC7? I know windows 7 didn't want to pay the license fee for every copy of windows 7 that went out the door and now all the aftermarket program as atleast $100 which is more then a decent off the shelf!!!

There has to be some sort of compromise here. The cost is making the concept of an HD/Blu Ray/Streaming HTPC prohibitive. Streaming HD costs 8 bucks a month, or even free from certain internet tv services.

kegobeer 02-19-2012 06:50 AM

How much looking around this forum have you done? There are tons of threads about TMT/PDVD, ripping, playback software, etc.

CountryBumkin 02-19-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post

I have searched through a ton of sites looking for a decent replacement to the OEM version of PowerDVD 9 that came with my blu ray drive. It seems that few programs work well with WMC7 and those that do cost as much as an off the shelf player so why but the software and the drive for an HTPC.

Is there a decent player that is FREE or less then $50? One that will play from within WMC7? I know windows 7 didn't want to pay the license fee for every copy of windows 7 that went out the door and now all the aftermarket program as atleast $100 which is more then a decent off the shelf!!!

There has to be some sort of compromise here. The cost is making the concept of an HD/Blu Ray/Streaming HTPC prohibitive. Streaming HD costs 8 bucks a month, or even free from certain internet tv services.

For $50 you could use JRiver Media Center and ditch WMC. JRiver does much more than WMC and will play back BDs if you first rip them without copy protection (otherwise you need AnyDVD HD running in background - and then your up to $100 for a fully functional system). http://www.jriver.com/index.html

gaidin43 02-19-2012 06:54 AM

That's the thing. I don't want to rip these. I just want to make them plug and play from the disc, for the less tech savvy people in my household to use.

And I did see those posts and they all cost around $100 bucks for TMT and PDVD 11 with blu ray play back.

I am looking for a decent, inexpensive option that works natively from within windows 7 Media Center. Considering the cost of the drive and the player is more then a stand alone. HTPC seems to becoming more and more mainstream for people that are aware of them and some friends have started asking me to make systems for them. I am trying to make it so they turn on the system, directly into WMC and everything works.... for a decent price.

renethx 02-19-2012 06:56 AM

WMC internal player can play BD (the main title only) with AnyDVD HD (expensive) running in the background.

kegobeer 02-19-2012 07:22 AM

There is no free BD player. You either pay for one of the commercial applications, or you remove the copy protection and use a free player (no reason to buy JRiver, when VLC, XBMC, MPC-HC, etc, will do it just as well).

reefskinner 02-19-2012 08:48 AM

I have tried to find a good way to accomplish this as well. I want the htpc to take on the role of my stand alone player. There are times I simply want to insert a disc and press play. Is there not a reasonable way to do this?

renethx 02-19-2012 09:10 AM

Windows' Auto Play (when WMC is not running) or WMC's Auto Play (when WMC is running). If you insert a disc, the player of your choice automatically starts and the playback begins or the play selection screen appears if multiple players are registered as a BD player.

gaidin43 02-19-2012 10:07 AM

Auto play I have no issue with. Its the software that is usable and cheap for blu ray play back. I know nothing is free, but the licensing fee for these new players is insane. I know digital media and piracy is a big concern of big name media producer companies, but I am just looking for a simple plug and play program, that doesn't cost as much as a stand alone player with free firmware updates for life.

kegobeer 02-19-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Auto play I have no issue with. Its the software that is usable and cheap for blu ray play back. I know nothing is free, but the licensing fee for these new players is insane. I know digital media and piracy is a big concern of big name media producer companies, but I am just looking for a simple plug and play program, that doesn't cost as much as a stand alone player with free firmware updates for life.

If you want a standalone function, and you want menus, extras, etc, then you know what options you have: TMT and PDVD. That's it.

jdcrox 02-19-2012 10:56 AM

TMT is regularly available for around $50 if you shop around. I think it integrates the best with WMC of all the players.

qz3fwd 02-19-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

If you want a standalone function, and you want menus, extras, etc, then you know what options you have: TMT and PDVD. That's it.

What about WinDVD? Did they drop BD support.
I have TMT3 and might upgrade to 5 for the right price.

xfett 02-19-2012 04:13 PM

Save yourself the hassel and headache just get a standalone Blu Ray player. It'll be cheaper in the long run

gaidin43 02-20-2012 07:35 AM

Ha defeats the purpose getting a stand alone but I see where you are coming from. DVD play back was always included and digital media could pretty much always been played using WMP or VLC.

This post is both a commentary on the state of being forced to pay twice over to be able to use hardware the way it was intended and trying to find a decent solution to that problem.

I doubt PDVD or TMT really care what we all think since they are making hand over fist since people at forced to buy this software seeing as how there is no other option.

I hope VLC manages to figure out how to enable Blu ray playback with out having a cost associated with it.

kapone 02-20-2012 08:34 AM

There is no free lunch. You can't compare an HTPC to a standalone. You KNOW you're doing more with an HTPC, so why compare? And if you are not doing more, throw the HTPC in the trash and get a standalone.

The standaone is nothing more than a cheap ass PC with an embedded OS.

People forget that software SHOULD cost money, if it offers value. I hate all this "free" mindset. Arcsoft, Cyberlink, Slysoft all have spent umpteen hours writing their software. Why shouldn't they get paid?

gaidin43 02-20-2012 08:40 AM

I'm saying that software should come with the Blu ray drive in the first place and not have to be bought after the fact. And allow unlimited upgrades to their product for free! I have no issue paying 20 bucks more for a drive that offer oem software that lasts the life of the drive.

The drive I got came with oem PDVD 9 which I can't even upgrade without paying full price for PDVD 12 now. And I just bought the drive a month ago.

Windows should have this built in or the hardware should either or it's not about free lunch it's about some other way to get more money for something that should come stock.

JMGNYC 02-20-2012 09:20 AM

Blame it on DRM. The requirements of the Blu-Ray Disc Association are quite onerous and expensive to legally license the ability to playback BD discs. There's a good reason Apple doesn't deal with BD at all and MS doesn't support it directly either.

spivonious 02-20-2012 09:26 AM

I agree with you in that the blu-ray software should be cheap now that standalone players can be had for well under $100.

But right now, your only options are PDVD Ultra and TMT. I have PDVD 11 and it integrates quite nicely into WMC. I snagged an upgrade version (from PDVD 9) on a clearance sale before PDVD 12 came out for $40. It sucks that Cyberlink raised prices with version 12. Oh, and I was able to get the upgrade price to upgrade my PDVD 8 OEM to PDVD9 Ultra. They may have changed that since then.

There's a rumor that native blu-ray playback will be included in Windows 8.

kegobeer 02-20-2012 09:50 AM

Sony holds the keys to the BD kingdom. There are quite a few discussions about BD licensing on the 'net which explain things pretty well. Unless MS has agreed to pay Sony a ton of money, I wouldn't get any hopes up for native BD playback in Windows 8.

spivonious 02-20-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

Sony holds the keys to the BD kingdom. There are quite a few discussions about BD licensing on the 'net which explain things pretty well. Unless MS has agreed to pay Sony a ton of money, I wouldn't get any hopes up for native BD playback in Windows 8.

Sony sells Windows PCs. I'm sure it's something they're discussing.

gaidin43 02-20-2012 10:04 AM

Don't the requirements and standards keep changing as well due to them? PDVD 9 says it might not support Blu ray after June 2011 but I can't figure out if this is for sure or what the deal is.

If MS or Apple don't go for the format it has a good chance of not lasting and digital formats just taking over completely excluding hard media.

kegobeer 02-20-2012 12:18 PM

Microsoft supports BD, it just doesn't bundle BD playback support because of the licensing costs. Apple is the only OS to turn its back on BD, because the supreme overlord wants all media to be on the cloud, from iTunes of course. Can you tell I really despise Apple?

BD isn't going anywhere. The requirements aren't constantly changing. Copy protection changes, and firmware updates to STBs ensure the player works, just like software updates to TMT and PDVD ensure playback on computers.

The only rumor I've read about MS licensing BD is for the XBOX.

gaidin43 02-20-2012 12:23 PM

Why do the copy protections keep changing? Just make people buy more updates and programs. Set the standard and leave it.

kegobeer 02-20-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Why do the copy protections keep changing? Just make people buy more updates and programs. Set the standard and leave it.

You're asking questions that we can't answer. It is what it is. As always, the MPAA wants to make money and prevent content stealing, so they continually update their protection.

kapone 02-20-2012 08:25 PM

As early as 2000, an 80GB hard drive was $500. Yup. that much for 80GB.

Blu Ray just got born....

By 2017-2018, a BD drive will be $20 with native support built into "____take your pick ___".

vision-master 02-27-2012 06:31 AM

Best Buy now has LG internal Bluray Drives with power DVD 8

Divitom2010 01-28-2014 03:02 AM

I know it's been a while but if you're still looking DVD-Fab has a player that requires a subscription but a 2 year with the player is $68 and if you do a search for coupons you should find one for 20-30% off meaning it'll end up ~ $50.  Only replying because I'm searching for one now and came across your post.

Divitom2010 05-11-2014 03:26 AM

I finally purchased TMT6 and it does integrate seamlessly with WMC and plays DVD's as well as Blu-Ray.  Disable the Simulator / Enhancer and the video is acceptable.  Make sure all drivers are upgraded on your PC or you'll suffer with contouring in skin tones and flat scenes.