HDMI output from HTPC is 2 channel, not 5.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen a couple similar threads but I haven't found (or understood) a solution for my set up.

Computer: HP Pavilion Elite m9040n Desktop
Motherboard: ASUS IPIBL-LA
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS
Receiver: Onkyo HT-RC360

I've included some pictures, but basically when I go to the properties of my HDMI connection (control panel > Sound > Realtek HDMI Output > Properties) on the supported fomats tab it tells me my max number of speakers is 2. I was expecting to see more here.

I found some additional settings in the Realtek HD audio manager, but all that lets me do is change the format (bitrate) of the audio.

I found all this because I got a new receiver and it showed me that it was receiving a PCM signal. I'm looking for the computer to output 5.1 audio (when the source supports it).

How can I get 5.1 audio from my HDMI output?
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
i think it would be best if you bought a new graphics card.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Realtek HDMI Output = S/PDIF actually (perhaps onboard S/PDIF header is connected to the graphics card). So the supported audio formats are stereo PCM, DD and DTS. Mulitchannel LPCM is not supported (so you only see two speakers in Speaker setup dialog box). But you still get 5.1 sounds via DD/DTS. Almost all DVD/BD have DD/DTS audio track. For FLAC, AAC, mulitchannel LPCM, a real-time AC3 encoder is available (ffdshow Audio Decoder/Processor, AC3Filter, ReClock).
post #4 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I threw in a dvd and was able to see the receiver switch over to Dolby Digital. I did have to change the audio settings on VLC player to "A/52 over SPDIF" but once I did everything was great (wish it would do that on it's own). Also, when I started playing a 5.1 show in media center the receiver also switched to Dolby Digital on it's own.

Thanks for the help, I feel much better knowing that I'm getting a DD/DTS signal.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Have you considered using MPC-HC instead of VLC? They have an app that you'd use much like VLC and it's been my experience it will play through your default audio device just fine... what I'm saying is 1) it's free, 2) simple to download and install, 3) will use your default audio just because!
post #6 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

I hadn't considered MPC-HC. There are definitely some things I like about VLC, but I installed MPC-HC and gave it a two minute tour. When I played a dvd it did not switch to DD audio. Do I have to do some initial setup? I checked that the audio renderer is set to system default.

Also, I checked an HD netflix title and I was not getting DD from that. Any ideas why that would be? I thought the HD netflix streams included 5.1 audio.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
RIGHT click and check the audio settings while playing that DVD and see if there might have been another soundtrack. Having the renderer to Default is correct... how do you have your system's default sound configured? It should be as SPDIF. BTW, I use a utility called SPDIFer to pass DD & DTS through although it's not necessary in most cases.

I don't believe netflix on a PC is 5.1 - yeah, a real bummer! Read around though.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

There is only one audio track available. My default sound device is my HDMI port. It runs directly to my receiver. I'm not too worried about it as I do like VLC quite a bit.

I think you're right on the netflix. I might check it out through my 360 and see if that gives me 5.1 just for kicks.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page