Getting HD channels on HVR1600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PVR with 2 HVR-1600 cards and Comcast Standard Cable.

I recently got a GT30 plasma and hooked it up to the straight coax connection expecting to get horrible picture, but to my surprise I was getting OTA broadcast HD stations (ABC, PBS, etc). Nice!

So I thought I should get the same on my Hauppauge cards. Switched the cable from the NSTC tuner to the QAM tuner and it did not pick up any stations (not surprising - not a digital signal). So I don't get HD stations on either of my Hauppauge tuners but I do on the TV.

Is there a way to get them on the HVR-1600, or do I need new cards with the tuner bridge?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Lots of thoughts... First off not all versions of the Hauppauge HVR-1600 support QAM and then your software has to support QAM as well.

When you say you were tuning "OTA broadcast HD stations" with the straight cable... well yes and no. Cable providers are required to include unencrypted local networks on the cable which is the essence of ClearQAM, which BTW, is a Digital Signal. While it seems to be OTA it is technically not Off The Air using an antenna (and its frequencies) but ClearQAM from your cable provider placing them there. IF you had a working antenna, you could connect it to the TV and do an antenna scan - those stations would be OTA.

Unless you have cards which don't do ClearQAM (as defined in their model number) then you should be able to tune the same unencrypted stations on the 1600 as your TV is doing! What front-end software are you using? Have you tried the WinTV6 or 7 they mention on the Hauppauge site - as a test, not necessarily for good.

Yeah, most folks don't know they can tune local HD on their cable and it's not in the cable providers interest to mention it! Let us know...
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Andrew, thanks for the response.

Sorry for not being clear. I have basic cable service with no cable boxes. All connections to PVR and TV are just "straight through" from the street through the hub to the devices.

I have two HVR1600 cards. One is a model 1183 and one is a 1178. The cable is normally connected to the NSTC tuners on both with a splitter.

I set up the cards with the WinTV software, but use SageTV version 6 for daily use in recording. I've had this setup about 4 or 5 years now.

I pulled out the documents on my cards and the 1183 clearly lists "ASTC/clear QAM Digital TV" on the digital tuner input.
The 1178 lists "ATSC/Digital Cable TV". Difference?

In my test I connected the cable to the 1178 digital input and then scanned for channels in SageTV. Perhaps I should give it a try on the 1183?

Any other thoughts, please let me know.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You're getting warmer... specifically it's not the model number of the package as much as the version number on the card itself -- which can translate into specific drivers as well. This was a big issue when they first came into production and I'd found at least one mention on the Hauppauge site
Quote:

Some original models (specifically models 74551 & 74031) do not support clear QAM.

I can't vouch for SageTV whether it supports QAM but Hauppauge says their WinTV does... and YES, the language over which card identifies which tuning it's capable of will matter -- try scanning the other card and then using WinTV (a 'known' quantity) on both. Once you know which does what you can start merging ClearQAM into your front-end software. Notice I didn't say it would be SageTV
post #5 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

When you say you were tuning "OTA broadcast HD stations" with the straight cable... well yes and no. Cable providers are required to include unencrypted local networks on the cable which is the essence of ClearQAM, which BTW, is a Digital Signal.

Actually that is false, due to there is no requirement that CATV providers are to give out anything in the open. They are required to provide a DTA to a person that is paying for the service, if the feed is encrypted. Otherwise, they can limit what stations are out to the open, or none at all if they want to require all subscribers to have a box.

There is no rule that states that catv providers are to leave any channels out in the open.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

You're getting warmer... specifically it's not the model number of the package as much as the version number on the card itself -- which can translate into specific drivers as well. This was a big issue when they first came into production and I'd found at least one mention on the Hauppauge site I can't vouch for SageTV whether it supports QAM but Hauppauge says their WinTV does... and YES, the language over which card identifies which tuning it's capable of will matter -- try scanning the other card and then using WinTV (a 'known' quantity) on both. Once you know which does what you can start merging ClearQAM into your front-end software. Notice I didn't say it would be SageTV

One is 74541 and the other is 74041

More tests coming up. And I'll check SageTV specs too.

What front end program works well with Hauppauge and QAM in your opinion?
post #7 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

An update:
I connected both coax cables from the splitter to the NTSC and QAM connectors on one of the cards (74541), opened WinTV (v6), Opened WinTV Channel Manager, went to the Sources Tab, selected ClearQAM, and scanned for channels.

It scanned from 1 to 121 and stopped. No channels found. (I remembered that I had tried this years ago). I scanned for channels a few different ways.

So I am still a confused noob. The TV receives clearQAM stations, my tuners cards do not from the same signal.

I'm hoping I'm just missing something and someone can dope-slap me.

BTW: both cards show up listed with clearQAM in WinTV, if that means anything.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

OK. It was stupidity. I had to get the connections right and learn how to use the WinTV program.

After finding and connecting a proper digital splitter, selecting the correct (connected) tuner card, and scanning for channels in the correct tab I have found my QAM stations. Lots of em.

So I'm on my way. Just need to configure the recording software or update it now. Thanks for watching me drool on myself!

BTW: I'm probably the only one here that didn't know this, but SageTV was bought by Google and now their website is no longer active (today anyway).
So it looks like I'm SOOL if I need to upgrade Sage.

What do most people use these days?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page