Case mounted touch screens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do you use case mounted touch screens for?

I can see that most of these displays commonly have a native resolution of 800 x 600 and a maximum supported resolution of 1024 x 768, so to clone the primary display onto the touch screen is not a real option, as most of us have a television as the primary display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Also, I read that the included playback software (usually from Imon) is not particularly good or useful, just like we all have our own favorite playback software (WMC, JMC, XBMC, etc.).

It would be great if you could play music, with your primary display off, and use the touch screen to control your favorite player, but I can not see how this is possible. Is there something I have overlooked or are you using them for something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 120
The idea behind the touch screen is to be able to control functions of your HTPC without having to turn on the primary display. I've never personally owned or used one, but it seems like an expensive gimmick that adds a huge premium to the price tag of the HTPC case. You can easily spend an additional $300-400 just to get a comparable case with a touch screen.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

The idea behind the touch screen is to be able to control functions of your HTPC without having to turn on the primary display.

If people are using theese screens as a secondary display, how are they getting around the cloning issue (in regards to resolution and aspect ratio).
post #4 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool1 View Post

If people are using theese screens as a secondary display, how are they getting around the cloning issue (in regards to resolution and aspect ratio).

I have a feeling that hardly anyone is using those screens.

post #5 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool1 View Post

It would be great if you could play music, with your primary display off, and use the touch screen to control your favorite player

Is that really how you want to play your music? Where is your HTPC? Under your TV near the floor? You want to walk over to your HTPC, bend over or squat down so you can reach the screen, and use that? That's awkward at best.

Case mounted screens are a waste of money. Besides, the best looking htpc is the one that's hidden somewhere so nobody ever sees it.

No, I don't want to turn on my TV either to control music. That's one of the reasons I don't use an HTPC for music (the other reason is that using something like Windows Media Center for music just sucks). Something like a sonos or iTunes/Airport Expresses or even simple iPod docks around the house, is better.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 165
True. I can access my music with my iPhone using my AVR's app or using Remote Potato.

post #7 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
It'd be far more useful if the touch screen was detachable and wireless. IMHO.

post #8 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I use a 22/23" 1080p wall-mounted touchscreen, which mirrors my projector's display. That way, I can listen to music without turning on the projector. The case mounted touchscreens never made much sense to me. Too small, too low resolution, and have to be placed somewhere accessible comfortably.

1080p touchscreens are often on sale for around $250.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 AM

Liked: 11
Yep, pretty much what everyone said. A waste of $$. I know because I have one and have never actually use it because mslide hit on the head, it's down near the floor under my tv.
Only way it might be useful is if its rack mounted somewhere convenient to use.
And it's not in clone mode. Mine is in extended mode and has the imon frontview software running on it so yes, I can access my media from it without turning on my plasma but I just use my harmony one to do this, not the touchscreen.
I still don't know of any alternate software/solutions to run on the case lcd that's worth it.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

I use a htpc case with a touch screen and yes i do use it. it is far more functional than you would imagine....yes for music while primary dispay is off is just one example. being able to read playing media on the screen and my harmony 1100 to switch through songs. not everyone is on the apple bandwagon and has an ipod or like to have itunes installed on their machines....as far as the best looking htpcs are the ones that are hidden away just sounds crazy...why would 80percent of the posts be about cases and which looks better if most are hiding them? yes my server can be out of site but my htpc should and matches the rest of my av equiptment.

would have been nice if more of the comments were from users who actually one a touch screen htpc vs those who just throw out their option and say they are a waste....every build it to fit the actual users needs and wants.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNkLorD View Post

I use a htpc case with a touch screen and yes i do use it. it is far more functional than you would imagine....yes for music while primary dispay is off is just one example.

What playback software do you use and how do you overcome the differences in resolution and aspect ratio between your primary display and your touch screen? Or are you not cloning?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page