So what is the conclusion on Full RGB vs Ycbcr - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use my media center as my only device in my home theatre. Ceton card for live TV, Blu Ray drive with Power DVD 11 for Blu Rays including 3D. Playback of ripped MKV's. Streaming Netflix etc etc etc...

I have an ATI 6450 fanless video card which is connected to my Yamaha receiver via HDMI and then to my TV. For the past few months I have been using Full RBG and I have setup my Sony Bravia XBR for full rather than auto on the HDMI settings for color etc..

After adjusting the brightness settings according to the media center test video settings etc everything looks great however I am starting to wonder if I am seeing blacks I shouldn't be when watching movies in any sceanarios above, as some have stated on this forum.

So RBG or Ycbcr in Catalyst Control Pane? Which is best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I wanted to use the same calibrated setting on my projector for both my blu-ray player and my HTPC (XBMC), which means YCbCr for me (since the projector expects video levels). I had it set to RGB, but it was crushing blacks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #3 of 8 Old 02-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm running a DVR, BD player, and HTPC through my AVR with a single connection to my TV.

Within the HTPC I user MPC-HC for file playback and PDVD for .iso/disc playback.

I've found setting Ycbcr in CCC is the only way to get consistency across devices and also between MPC-HC and PDVD within the HTPC.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Sounds like this is due to your TV not changing from limited to full etc when you switch sources.

This isnt an issue for me since I only use one source, the Media Center PC.

I'm still not sure which is the correct choice for video playback. Am I get deeper colors using RGB or am I getting blacks I am not supposed to see?
post #5 of 8 Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I recently upgraded drivers so I am looking through settings. I am also interested in rgb vs ycbcr.. I also would like To know whether or not to turn on dynamic range??

post #6 of 8 Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm using WMC7 and an HD6450 video card. I just looked at my CCC settings again & checked the brightness or black levels using the WMC test patterns.

I use YCbCr 4:4:4 Pixel Format (which is supposed to be limited) and Dynamic Range is set to 16-235. Enforce Smooth Video Playback is checked & this also grays out several settings including the Dynamic Range.

The first 3 Pixel Formats are limited range & only the last one labeled RGB Full is full range.

My experience is that a few different combinations of Pixel Formats & Dynamic Range will look proper, but you may need to recalibrate your TV depending on what you do. My HDTV has only one HDMI input & I use an external switcher. I wanted the HTPC to match the other components. So I could not calibrate different inputs because there was only one.

WMC uses 16-235 limited range & this looked OK before I installed the video card. With the HD6450 blacks looked washed out because the card's default setting also used 16-235 color & I was getting a double conversion. There is a simple registry hack to change WMC to use 0-255 full color. I did this so that all my components & sources looked the same.

I had presumed, until today, that since checking Enforce Smooth Video Playback grays out the Dynamic Range that it did not matter what the DR was set to before it was grayed out. IOW if it's disabled then what choices would you have. But as I was playing with the DR today & looking closely at the sample image in CCC of the girl with the flowers & fruit, there were some subtle differences. So I did a screen print of all 4 combinations: Enforce Smooth Video Playback enable with limited & full DR, and Enforce Smooth Video Playback turned off with limited & full DR. Doing some pixel peeping with Photoshop Elements, the 16-235 DR with Enforce Smooth Video Playback turned off was the only combo that indeed had a limited range. Turning on Enforce Smooth Video Playback actually changed the 16-235 to 0-255 (or very close to it). And 16-235 DR with Enforce Smooth Video Playback turned off also displayed washed out colors in the WMC setup test image.

Initially I thought that 0-255 DR with Enforce Smooth Video Playback turned on looked slightly better than 16-235 with Enforce Smooth Video Playback turned on, even though DR is grayed out in both instances. But the more I look at the screen print pictures the more they look the same. And they probably are which is why DR is grayed out in the first place.

WMP behaves differently than WMC. WMP (and others) use 0-255 color by default vs WMC 16-235. Your player could make a difference & you may have to try a few things until it looks proper.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
If you use Shark007 Codec in WMC then you just click or unclick the box to switch from 0-255 to 16-235 and there is no issue at all.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 8 Old 03-09-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

If you use Shark007 Codec in WMC then you just click or unclick the box to switch from 0-255 to 16-235 and there is no issue at all.

That will toggle the difference. I am not sure which is which.. I think default is 16-235 and enabled means you enable 0-255 but I could be wrong. Shark007 would know best biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page