nMediapc 7000 HTPC Case - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm currently planning my first HTPC build and am looking at the new nMediaPC HTPC 7000B microATX case. Has anyone had any experience with this case yet, and if so I'd appreciate some feedback in relation to noise, issues with the door to the optical drive bay, and whether everything fits in well.

I was considering the nMeediaPC 1000B but the addition of a front USB3, space for an IR module and slightly more headroom is very attractive despite losing the multi-card reader and front esata.

Details of case are at http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc7000b.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't have the 7000, but I do have the 2000B. I can attest to the quality of nMedia PC and if the 7000 is anything like the 2000 its a great deal. The 2000 is not the fanciest case on the market, nor does it have the attention to detail that a more expensive case would, but for the price it is a great case. Looking at the photos of the 7000b it looks similar to the 2000b. I would say go for it. Just be aware that the nmedia VFD is mostly useless, so if it doesnt come with the case I wouldn't waste any $$ on it.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 32 Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I'd like to know a little more about your comment on the VFD. My intention with the VFD was to be able to check what channel the HTPC is recording without needing to turn the TV on. Does it not work well or is it that the text on the display is too small to be read from more than a metre?

I've selected the 7000 as I am looking for a case that is under 140mm high, can accommodate one of the medium sized CPU heatsinks and a 10 inch GPU, is silent, and has front USB3, IR, VFD and looks more like a HT component rather than a PC.

post #4 of 32 Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I have the 1000b and I also have the LCD module. I wanted it to display the time. It's unreadable from 10'. It's not worth the ~$30 extra. The case however is very good, especially for the price. It perfectly matches my Onkyo AVR.

post #5 of 32 Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have the 1080p case, and the LCD unit was unreadable from more than 3 feet. I took it out, sold on ebay, and bought a $6 multicolor LED clock from Target. Took it out of the case, and it is perfect for the "window" in the case.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #6 of 32 Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

I'm currently planning my first HTPC build and am looking at the new nMediaPC HTPC 7000B microATX case. Has anyone had any experience with this case yet, and if so I'd appreciate some feedback in relation to noise, issues with the door to the optical drive bay, and whether everything fits in well.

I was considering the nMeediaPC 1000B but the addition of a front USB3, space for an IR module and slightly more headroom is very attractive despite losing the multi-card reader and front esata.

Details of case are at http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc7000b.htm

Working on a review of this chassis right now. Should be available in about a week.

Andy VT -
-
post #7 of 32 Old 02-23-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

I have the 1080p case, and the LCD unit was unreadable from more than 3 feet. I took it out, sold on ebay, and bought a $6 multicolor LED clock from Target. Took it out of the case, and it is perfect for the "window" in the case.

Oh, I am so doing this . Tinkering! How did you wire it?

post #8 of 32 Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

er...I think he didn't wire it in ANY way... He took the clock out of it's stock casing and stuck it inside the nmedia case as a clock...
post #9 of 32 Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

er...I think he didn't wire it in ANY way... He took the clock out of it's stock casing and stuck it inside the nmedia case as a clock...

Since the clock came with a 9V back up battery option, I wired it to the 12V rail through a resistor. But, it appeared the clock relied on the AC's 60Hz for time keeping, as it would drift 20 minutes a day running off DC power.

I put the little transformer that came with it back on, and ran a wire through the back of the case to a 120 V AC outlet (it is actually a UPS for the whole set up). So far, it drifted a minute after 2 months.

You can see the time from 60 feet (all the way at the end of the dining room that is connected to the living room where HTPC is located under the TV.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #10 of 32 Old 02-23-2012, 01:17 PM

I have built 2 HTPCs using nMedia cases, one with a mATX MOBO and one with an ATX MOBO - I am not at home and cannot remember the particular models, but they were both in the x000 series. I have been happy with both builds. For the cost and appearance (looks like an AV component), they are good choices.
post #11 of 32 Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Working on a review of this chassis right now. Should be available in about a week.

Fantastic, I look forward to reading it.

post #12 of 32 Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

got a pic ??

Would love to see it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #13 of 32 Old 02-23-2012, 05:09 PM

Liked: 12
I have the 6000b and bought the LCD, and I too agree it's fairly useless.. And I can even see it just fine as the room I have my HTPC in is really small. The software it comes with is ancient. I suppose it works fine as a clock for me though, but I can always look at the time on my Harmony One anyway. I was hoping it would tell you if something was recording etc.
post #14 of 32 Old 02-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Looking forward to the review too. Take a lot of pictures! This case has my depth cutoff point of 12" (barely).
post #15 of 32 Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

got a pic ??

Would love to see it.

Sorry for the blurred cell phone pic, but you should be able to get a general idea of what it looks like.

post #16 of 32 Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM

Has anyone tried mounting the IR receiver behind these LCD windows? I'm going to purchase the 6000B for my build, and was wondering if that would be possible.
post #17 of 32 Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know whether the nMedia cases come with all the necessary screws and rubber washers to mount the drives?

post #18 of 32 Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 PM

Yes it comes with all the hardware, I built 4 HTPC using the Nmedia 6000B cases and its a great case for the $, Looks really nice and they run nice and cool.
post #19 of 32 Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

From the pictures on the nMediaPC website it looks like the case fans have molex connectors on them. Would there be any benefit to getting an adaptor to run them through through the motherboard fan controller?

post #20 of 32 Old 03-06-2012, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOCKMONSTER View Post

Looking forward to the review too. Take a lot of pictures! This case has my depth cutoff point of 12" (barely).

HTPC 7000B review is up. 42 pictures of the case, 24 supporting

The next production run will be 15mm longer to address some spacing issues. So you may want to pick one up ASAP if you're OK with the trade-offs in the current design.

Andy VT -
-
post #21 of 32 Old 03-06-2012, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From the pictures on the nMediaPC website it looks like the case fans have molex connectors on them. Would there be any benefit to getting an adaptor to run them through through the motherboard fan controller?

One of the fans is a 4-pin Molex, the other is a 3-pin. IMO the 3-pin will be fine for most, but I found the 4-pin a little too loud. They are the same model so you could undervolt it with an adapter, but TBH I'd replace it with a 120mm 4-pin PWM fan instead if you need the extra cooling capacity.

Andy VT -
-
post #22 of 32 Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

HTPC 7000B review is up. 42 pictures of the case, 24 supporting

The next production run will be 15mm longer to address some spacing issues. So you may want to pick one up ASAP if you're OK with the trade-offs in the current design.

Thanks for posting the link to your review. I was too impatient and have already ordered one I'm waiting for it to clear customs so I'll need to make it work.

Based on the review it looks like it will suit my needs (1HDD + 1SSD). I was considering replacing the fans with twin Noctua NF-S12B FLX or ULNs and a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 heatsink if cooling/noise were issues. According to the nMediaPC website it is meant to accommodate an additional 120mm fan by the drive bays, but your photos indicate there probably wouldn't be enough room.

I had hoped to be able to fit an additional HDD if I needed to expand storage in the future, although depending on how I go the typical drive sizes by then will probably be up to 6TB anyway and I'll only need the one drive My Blu-Ray drive is short form at 170mm long so I may get away with being able to mount an extra HDD on top of the PSU. It will depend on how the cables run out of the optical drive.

I don't mind having the ports exposed on the front, as a flip down door is one more thing that the kids can break.

I'll provide my two cents once I've received the case and installed everything.

post #23 of 32 Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

I'm having slightly different issues than babgvant with this case in his review. Here are my intial comments so far. I will post some pictures at a later date.

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 motherboard in the chasis. I have been able to mount my WD20EARX Green Caviar drive on the front face plate with sufficient room to clear the motherboard ATX power supply so I guess it depends on the motherboard as to whether this clashes.

I have mounted my SDD to the 3rd HDD position behind the optical drive bay and above the PSU. It fits with plenty of room. My optical drive is 170mm long and a A 3.5" HDD would be a tight squeeze. I could make it work, but would have to use an L-shaped SATA cable and one of the SATA power plugs that was in the middle of the cable rather than at the end.

I have a Seasonic S12II Bronze 430W PSU and for this type of case I should have gone for the modular version. All the spare cables are bundle up in the 2nd HDD bay beneath the ODD. This may prevent me from adding a 2nd HDD in the future. Also the location of the USB3 front header on the motherboard is right in the middle of where the HDD would be sitting and I would either need to kink the cable from the front panel or put a lot of stress on the connect if I stuck an additional drive here. The USB3 header plug doesn't quite site well in motherboard socket and came out a couple of times when If I ever do decide to put an additional HDD in, I think I'll put it on top of the PSU and move the SDD to below the ODD.

With all the mass of cables running along the front of the motherboard, I also doubt it would be possible to stick a long GPU inside the case without rearranging a few things. I don't need to worry about that at the moment.

I ended up connecting the 2nd fan to the PSU. It is audible if you are right next to the case, but I can't hear it from a couple of metres away. In my opinion if you want silent then replace the fan, but otherwise it is ok. Time will tell as I guess I'm used to a noisy PC.

One other thing that is quite noisy, is the flip down panel for the ODD drive. It makes quite a load thunk when it opens. I also haven't been able to get the HDD activity LED to work yet. I may need to tinker around some more to get it functioning.

post #24 of 32 Old 03-18-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

After almost two weeks of use now, I've found the case to be quite suitable for my setup. In the end I disconnected the second fan as the noise from it was quite noticeable. It didn't seem to impact on the temperatures in the case at all. Over the weekend I modified the fan's molex connector to run on 5V rather than 12V and that made it much quieter.

I've found the Blu-Ray drive to be a tight fit and it's pushed hard up against the faceplate. I did try removed the drive's faceplate but then the eject button wouldn't operate as the case's button is flat on the back and won't reach into the button recess on the front of the drive.

Overall I'm very happy with it.

post #25 of 32 Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I've just bought a pair of Noctua NF-S12B ULN fans to replace the two existing fans as the original case fans are still slightly audible and it's been bugging me. I'm pondering whether I should install the new fans to match the current configuration as exhaust fans, or flip them and use them as intake fans? My logic is that I by using them as intake fans and filter them I'll create a positive-pressure case which will minimise dust build-up. There are too many holes everywhere else to completely filter all of them.
LL

post #26 of 32 Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 AM
bcc

Liked: 11
Any news on nmedia fixing the depth (adding 15mm) to this case, like the review said they would?
post #27 of 32 Old 05-29-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post

Any news on nmedia fixing the depth (adding 15mm) to this case, like the review said they would?

Have you tried contacting nmedia? Also, there is an ebay vendor who sells them and he may be able to tell you.

post #28 of 32 Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I've just bought a pair of Noctua NF-S12B ULN fans to replace the two existing fans as the original case fans are still slightly audible and it's been bugging me. I'm pondering whether I should install the new fans to match the current configuration as exhaust fans, or flip them and use them as intake fans? My logic is that I by using them as intake fans and filter them I'll create a positive-pressure case which will minimise dust build-up. There are too many holes everywhere else to completely filter all of them.

The perforated 'grilles' that these cases use are awful (I have a 5000b). Fans mounted up against them flow much less air and make much more noise than when running in free air. I circle cut blowholes for the fans.
post #29 of 32 Old 05-29-2012, 11:11 PM
bcc

Liked: 11
Quote:

Have you tried contacting nmedia?

No.
However, since the only reference to a depth fix was via babgvant's review, who posts here, it makes sense to ask here.
Question still stands
post #30 of 32 Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcc View Post

No.
However, since the only reference to a depth fix was via babgvant's review, who posts here, it makes sense to ask here.
Question still stands

Forwarded to my contact at nMEDIAPC. Will let you know when I hear back.

Andy VT -
-
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page