Thanks - I cut the cord, here's how the phone call went down - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 140 Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
But you could say the same thing about a lot of different things. Airlines - so have you stopped taking vacations? Electric company - are your kids doing their homework by kerosene lantern?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 140 Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

High prices and bad service. That's what comes from a lack of competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsican View Post

Which drive me to a position noted at the beginning of this thread.

See what I did there?

There's three providers in my area and in most (not including OTA).

CATV
Uverse or FiOS
Satellite

There's competetion and still high prices with bad service. Uverse has a better line up and is month to month with no lock ins for either party. Charter has a terrible HDTV line up for nearly the same price as Uverse. Satellite.. I haven't even gone there because I hate being on contract.

I picked the lesser of three evils to get the programing we want which is limited in delivery any other way.

Things like Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN. You can get the whole show each night.. What 40 minutes after deducting the commercials? CNN has a podcast that is 10 to 15 minutes long. This is just one example. Some of the content we want is just not available any other way so we pick the least worst provider of that service.

post #123 of 140 Old 02-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Cable tv is a luxury most of us take for granted, and it has become a huge part of modern life. I don't have kids but watching tv for hours/day is destructive no matter what. Some of you may have friends who don't watch tv at all, so when you talk about a popular show they'll say 'I've never seen it', and you shake your head in disbelief. But more often than not, these people have very productive and happy ways of passing their time.

I happen to live in an area with good public libraries. I was amazed at just how much content there is - lots of excellent documentaries, history, even movies and tv shows. I also have Netflix, and for $10/month there is more than enough variety.

Unfortunately the price gouging by the cable companies isn't going to stop as they're protected (and in bed) by our government, and FCC specifically has rules to prevent competition. Cable companies and ISP's are a protected monopoly.
post #124 of 140 Old 02-24-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

Mfusick is one of my favorite internet people now.

That's 150%...

lol.

I thought I needed to post that. hahaha.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #125 of 140 Old 02-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
NHL, like other sports leagues such as the NFL, aren't really targeting joe schmoe at home. Typcially, they're concerned about places where the public are showing the games. If caught, they usually sent a cease and desist letter (bars showing blacked out games in San Diego (NFL).

If you're paying for something, such as an online sports package, you're not stealing. You're using a product in a manner that owner of the content does not want. NHL has the right to determine how their product is to be used.

As someone who has been using VPN for almost two years to watch various sports events that would not be available (NFL Game Pass, BBC iPlayer, STV) and sports games (local team and national broadcasts), I haven't been that worried about it. Is there a risk I could get popped sure. But when it's just myself, family, and maybe a friend or two, it's not like I'm making any kind of profit, so how am I going to get caught or bring attention. Heck, I've even used the service at the stadium of the blacked out game (via smartphone).

I prefer to use online service with a VPN than some feed on JustinTV, Ustream, LiveTV, and so forth. Plus the quality is a lot better and reliable.

And the termination and fee thing, all the sports I've subscribed to (NFL, NBA, MotoGP, MLB, and NHL), all say it. The only thing that's different is the fee.
post #126 of 140 Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:

But you could say the same thing about a lot of different things. Airlines - so have you stopped taking vacations? Electric company - are your kids doing their homework by kerosene lantern?

I don't fly anymore as a result of the TSA and the airlines prices/rules. In fact, Planning to drive 1000 miles one way this summer. I will avoid the airlines when and where I can.

The electricity is a different story. Once a Solution becomes available that is cost effective you can be sure I will explore it.

If it were just me, I would have zero problem with living in a one room cabin in the woods somewhere in the North. I even have a beard.

THERE IS NO NORSICAN, THERE IS ONLY ZUUL
post #127 of 140 Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

150%

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #128 of 140 Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Planning to drive 1000 miles one way this summer. I will avoid the airlines when and where I can.

Wow, really? With gas approaching $5/gal nationwide, and assuming you get an average of 30mpg, that's $167 for fuel alone plus two solid days of driving. Add $100 for hotel, another $50 in meals, and use the 50c/mi wear-and-tear rate, and you've got over $800 and two days of travel. I'd much rather put up with the TSA and get there in four hours for half the price.
post #129 of 140 Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Wow, really? With gas approaching $5/gal nationwide, and assuming you get an average of 30mpg, that's $167 for fuel alone plus two solid days of driving. Add $100 for hotel, another $50 in meals, and use the 50c/mi wear-and-tear rate, and you've got over $800 and two days of travel. I'd much rather put up with the TSA and get there in four hours for half the price.

You are making a lot of assumptions.

Most I've seen gas here is approaching 3.50.
gas MAY be approaching 4.00 where I may be going...

Consider this:
  • I drive straight through. Put the kids in the car about 8pm and drive, They sleep most of the way.
  • Bringing "meals" with us. Since the kids are sleep most of the way we won't need to bring as much food.
  • Staying on my own property.

OR I can get a flight for 550 bucks, a layover, with no vehicle. I'll need one to get to where I'm going. Oh yeah, and a car seat for the infant. And all the stuff that needs to come with the infant. Gotta get there early too!

Total Airport time: 7+ hours

Or spend 822 bucks for a flight that connects in Dallas. That's 9+ hours dealing with Airport stuff... Still needing a vehicle.

They go up from there...

Some other things to consider:
  • I also have the luxury of going when I want to.
  • I don't have to worry about losing the money I spent on plane tickets because a kid got sick, or I can't get away from work because something cratered.
  • My infant son doesn't make life hell for those other travelers.
  • I can also take my firearms, Fishing rods and tackle, Kids bikes, Cigars, a flask, couple of coolers to bring back Fish and game without the added costs/regulations.

Plus I get to see a sunrise.

post #130 of 140 Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

You are making a lot of assumptions.

Not only that, but it may be suprising to people to know that there are amazing places to visit inside the triangle of Disneyworld, the East Coast and California.

Take a vacation to actually see your country. You might be suprised at what you find.

-Suntan
post #131 of 140 Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Driving can be a pleasure, it all depends on what you get out of it. Long road trips can be a vacation by themselves, not just a means to get to the destination.
post #132 of 140 Old 02-27-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I did assume that you wanted to get there. I agree that the journey is sometimes the true pleasure.

Anyway, we're getting way off-topic.
post #133 of 140 Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I cut the cord 3 months ago and no regrets so far. One caveat - I don't watch sports. I went with high speed cable internet, a magicjack for phone and am going to install an antenna for the networks soon. Once thats don't then I'll work on building an HTPC that can double as a DVR. I'm saving about $60/month which will pay for all the other hardware in less than a year. Also, I got Amazon Prime and have been impressed with the free streaming. It was really a bonus for me on top of the shipping but there's some good stuff on there.
post #134 of 140 Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

That's simply not true. There are hundreds of pages of federal and state laws governing communications, TV, cable, satellite, and misappropriation of those things.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't pretend to be. However TV, cable, and satellite laws I'm not sure apply to streaming video. I'll give you generic communications, but I have never seen nor heard of laws like you state exist.

NHL is the one streaming the video to you, it's not someone else streaming it without the NHL's permission. I would want to see some type of case law or the actual regulations that indicate that your real address/location is legally required or else it's a criminal offense.
post #135 of 140 Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 AM

Liked: 18
I realize I'm jumping in late here. I loved the OP and his immediate follow-up. Well written.

I cut the cable many years ago now. I just wish MLB would get off of their lazy butts and rework the blackout crap.

That's the only thing that still hacks me off about TV.
post #136 of 140 Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeper View Post

I realize I'm jumping in late here. I loved the OP and his immediate follow-up. Well written.

I cut the cable many years ago now. I just wish MLB would get off of their lazy butts and rework the blackout crap.

That's the only thing that still hacks me off about TV.

I think there was mention in this very thread about legislature reworking Blackout laws etc.

post #137 of 140 Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

not quite, it's being explored/looked at. And probably to maintain it, they'll use some contract conflict situation anyway.
post #138 of 140 Old 03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think there was mention in this very thread about legislature reworking Blackout laws etc.

It makes not sense.

If you don't show it on the home turf on TV how are you going to create more fans?

If I started watching a team- and became a fan I might go to the game.

They have it totally wrong and backwards.

-

post #139 of 140 Old 03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Well, it's an old mentality from back in the 60s and 50s. The thinking is, if you can watch on the game on TV for free, then why would you want to go to the game? The NFL for example, would not show ANY home games before the blackout regulations came in. Did not matter if the game was sold out or not. So NY did get the see games such as the Heidi Bowl, 58' Gaints vs. Colts Championship game, and so forth.

Unfortunately, the sports leagues haven't changed this mentality. And despite their thinking, you see a whole lot more of the game on TV then in person. These rules don't keep up with the technology behind it.

And then there are licensing issues that prevent games from being televised. The NFL is a prime example of this. They actually have a whole online streaming service that can show both live and replay games. In the US because of the deal with DirectTV to be the ONLY place to show multiple live games, the are not able to offer the service within the US. Thus, the US only get the replay portion.

Sports is really big business in the entertainment world. And the blackout rules, I think, will always be here in some form or another. Although, I think it will be more about licensing issues, which is about money.
post #140 of 140 Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM

When calling to cancel, you should not explain anything. Every reason you provide gives more ammunition for them to use against you, and if you are not firm, you may end up staying with them.

Also, they do research on the reasons for canceling, and add responses to their call scripts.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page