Cannot get bit streaming to work - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this has been beat to death, but I tried everything i could last night and still could not get bit streaming to work off of a m2ts file, which ffsdhow shows as having DTS-HD 7.1 96k.

I tried Shark007 and set bitstream to all formats and no dice. i can get dts/ac3 but no hd formats.

i also tried this walthrough
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=188

before shark007 with no positive results.

i am running windows vista 32, with a GT520, and my pre/pro is a marantz av7005.

So far i have tried running LAV, FFdshow(shows input 7.1 dts-hd...output HDMI bitstream (1403) ) , and shark007 with no positive results on bit streaming hd formats.

does anyone have any other ideas i can try before i tear my hair out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
update your nvidia drivers.

and check this out
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357375
post #3 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If the Shark007 codecs are installed, you should not be installing any other codecs. LAV and FFDshow are installed by the Shark007 codecs. If you have installed these codecs separately, all codecs should be unistalled, and only install the Shark007 codecs.

For Windows 7 . . .
Although M2TS files can be bitstreamed in the Windows players, the OS makes it difficult. The easiest way to handle these files is to convert them to MKV files. There is a tool on my Tools page called Metafox that can do this in a single step.

To bitstream the M2TS file, press [Reset All], choose the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox, go to the SWAP TAB, disable the Microsoft Audio decoder and on the Audio TAB, select the bitstreaming selection provided.

IF your OS is 64bit and your player is Media Center, you may also need to disable the Microsoft Video decoder on the SWAP TAB.

I just noticed.. you are on Vista,
For Windows Vista, I will need to some time to bootup that OS and test the scenario.
EDIT - check Control Panel | Sound [your audio device] and under the supported formats tab to be sure the HD formats are listed.
If they are not listed there, you may have an EDID problem.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #4 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

If the Shark007 codecs are installed, you should not be installing any other codecs. LAV and FFDshow are installed by the Shark007 codecs. If you have installed these codecs separately, all codecs should be unistalled, and only install the Shark007 codecs.

For Windows 7 . . .
Although M2TS files can be bitstreamed in the Windows players, the OS makes it difficult. The easiest way to handle these files is to convert them to MKV files. There is a tool on my Tools page called Metafox that can do this in a single step.

To bitstream the M2TS file, press [Reset All], choose the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox, go to the SWAP TAB, disable the Microsoft Audio decoder and on the Audio TAB, select the bitstreaming selection provided.

IF your OS is 64bit and your player is Media Center, you may also need to disable the Microsoft Video decoder on the SWAP TAB.

For Windows Vista, I will need to some time to bootup that OS and test the scenario.
EDIT - check Control Panel | Sound [your audio device] and under the supported formats tab to be sure the HD formats are listed.

i did the walthrough first, it didnt work, i then installed the shark007 drivers, which actually deleted all my other drivers. i knew it was going to do that, but i did not expect it to remove mpc hc haha!

so, this is all done in that order (mpc-hc/ffdshow, uninstall all, reinstall al according to the above link on doom9, then when that didnt work (neither LAV nor ffdshow) i installed shark which uninstalled EVERYTHING)

i am currently running nvidia 285.62

i actually ran through some of that advanced setup guide as well, but from what ive seen thus far, if i do force LAV, or force ffdshow, i should be able to force bitstream in either one and it would work. that is why i am so confused at the moment, and also confused as to why shark 007 did not work when it actually elimniated all of the previous codecs

can someone give me some other ideas?

Thanks!!!!
post #5 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

For Windows 7 . . .

Thanks for the reply. in windows it actually does NOT list the hd codecs in that area where you can for instance check dts or AC3 and hit the "test" button. right now in the bottom of the screen it says my audio is being output to marantz-AVR-1 and under that nvidia high definition audio. ill get some screenshots up in a little bit by the way, i also tried mkv's with dts-hd and those are not working either.
LL
LL
post #6 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

Thanks for the reply. in windows it actually does NOT list the hd codecs in that area where you can for instance check dts or AC3 and hit the "test" button.

To be able to bitstream the HD formats, they MUST be listed in that pane.

Try updating the nvidia drivers.
New certified drivers were just released a day or 2 ago

(just a FYI, i am going to release an updated Vista codecs package later today)

post #7 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

To be able to bitstream the HD formats, they MUST be listed in that pane.

Try updating the nvidia drivers.
New certified drivers were just released a day or 2 ago

(just a FYI, i am going to release an updated Vista codecs package later today)

I will upgrade my drivers later tonight. is the edid issue also applicable to nvidia hardware, or only ati hardware?

these drivers i have are literally weeks old. are people using driver cleaner after uninstallation to get a fresh install?
post #8 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Try using this build of XBMC. I had the hardest time getting to work with MPC and Shark007. This build played M2TS and MKV with HD audio it just fine.
post #9 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcast5201 View Post

Try using this build of XBMC. I had the hardest time getting to work with MPC and Shark007. This build played M2TS and MKV with HD audio it just fine.

i tried eden last night and it had some error, it woudlnt even boot. i assume it might be partially due to my internet connection being problematic on that pc at the moment.
post #10 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

i tried eden last night and it had some error, it woudlnt even boot. i assume it might be partially due to my internet connection being problematic on that pc at the moment.

Weird. Mine booted up just fine after installation. I would try it out again to make sure. It's been a lifesaver for me.
post #11 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Liked: 10
Is this a Vista issue? Perhaps you need Win7? I had to upgrade to get the HD audio on my ATI Radeon HD5450 to work.
post #12 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcast5201 View Post

I realize you're just trying to help but the REAL issue isnt his player of choice,
it is the fact the HD audio formats are not being listed in the Control Panel.

This needs to be solved 1st.

post #13 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I realize you're just trying to help but the REAL issue isnt his player of choice,
it is the fact the HD audio formats are not being listed in the Control Panel.

This needs to be solved 1st.

i just downloaded driver sweeper and the newest 296 drivers. i am going to uninstal the old drivers, boot into safe mode, run driver sweeper, and reboot and install newest drivers.

I will post after that and let you know what the outcome is.

thanks for the help shark, and am i right in assuming your software will not work properly until i am able to see the newest hd formats listed in that page?
post #14 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

It is not just my software being affected.
If the HD audio formats do not show up in Control Panel | Sound, under your active device, then nothing can make them work.

It is very possible this issue is related to the Vista OS, I have not investigated it enough to know.

post #15 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

OKay, this is where im at...

what do i do from here?
LL
post #16 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Im not sure what is your next step to troubleshoot, but I am almost 100% sure you need to see the HD formats before they will work.
I have an AMD in this system, but I know on my Nvidia system, I see the same thing.
LL

post #17 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Upgrade to Win7?

Other than that, it seems to be an incorrect driver?

post #18 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Upgrade to Win7?

Other than that, it seems to be an incorrect driver?

he said earlier that win7 is more tricky to get m2ts working.
i have quite a few of every format,and if possible would like all working together

BTW if this is all easier in XP, it would be easier for me to load up XP on this machine than win7
post #19 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I remember having to load all the intel drivers to get HD Audio. You aren't using that but I had the same thing in Win7 Control Panel settings before installing the correct audio drivers.

post #20 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

is the edid fix a possible solution? or does anyone else havef any ideas on getting my existing configuration working?
post #21 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I've done some research and it looks like you will need Windows 7 to support bitstreaming the HD audio formats.
Earlier versions of Windows do not support PAP (protected audio path) which is required to bitstream the HD formats.

So on Vista (and XP), Dolby Digital (AC3) and DTS (core) is as good as it gets for bitstreamed audio.

post #22 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've done some research and it looks like you will need Windows 7 to support bitstreaming the HD audio formats.
Earlier versions of Windows do not support PAP (protected audio path) which is required to bitstream the HD formats.

So on Vista (and XP), Dolby Digital (AC3) and DTS (core) is as good as it gets for bitstreamed audio.

thanks for the information. and please, no offense, but your page explicitly lists vista as being fully compatible. this information (i am not sure if you were previously aware or not) should probably be posted up there, i woulda thrown my remote last night instead of chasing this and being as frustrated as i have been
post #23 of 43 Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I am changing that information on the Vista page immediately.
sorry for the inconvenience.
EDIT: the Vista specific page does not state that HD audio is supported.
That statement is only on the default 'index' page and it is going to stay there.

post #24 of 43 Old 02-24-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:

From reading others issues I find that's one point/settings that's missed OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

PS I'm almost certain that Vista supports PAP as it's the same CORE audio, UAA/HD Audio etc. as well as PAVP via HDCP. Vista can do TrueHD and DTS-HD if you have the right hardware/software combination.
post #25 of 43 Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:

That's not true at all. The audio stack/API change occurred from Vista forward.

Here are some great video from Channel 9 about the new API used by Microsoft from Vista forward...

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going...-Stack-and-API

http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Charl...-Windows-Vista

http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/scobl...-Windows-Vista

And there are many other videos from Chan 9 and stuff all over Technet about Core Audio etc.

The Guru on Windows audio is Elliot H Omiya and I'm sure he's open to questions from a fellow developer...

PUMA Info !

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

AND

The Holy Grail of video/audio protection and Windows from Vista forward...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../gg487551.aspx

And more recent info on Windows UAA/HD Audio et al...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...dware/gg454527

Windows 7 Subformat GUID for compressed audio formats.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx
post #26 of 43 Old 02-25-2012, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

Vista can do TrueHD and DTS-HD if you have the right hardware/software combination.

It has nothing to do with software (excluding hardware drivers of course), unless you are refering to the OS itself, which is doubtful in your context.

Quote:

That's not true at all.

instead of posting all the useless quotes (many are Windows 7 specific, we are discussing Vista here), and concerning PAP under Vista, there is this statement in your quotes which you call the 'Holy Grail' but is actually just a hole ... "Protected Audio Path (PAP) is a future initiative under investigation for how to provide encryption of audio over user accessible buses."

please share hands on experience on how to have the HD formats appear under the 'Supported Formats' under the properties of an active digital device using the Vista OS. I coundnt get them to show up just as the original poster cannot get them to show. If they do not show up here, they are NOT supported. On Windows 7, nothing special needs to be done, they are just there.

If you need a larger shovel, I can mail you one.

post #27 of 43 Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 AM

LOL yeah you need a shovel with MS at times!

johnzm can you share with us your display? IE model of TV etc. If HDCP isn't working between the TV/AVR/computer then those formats will not display either. uhm... Try installing AnyDVD HD and enabling it and tell us if they appear. It sounds like you might need an EDID override. I would see if there is a firmware update for your TV. I would also DISABLE ARC or "audio passthrough" on the AVR and/or TV because that can cause grief as well. Especially the "audio passthrough" function on AVRs.

I'm almost 100% certain Vista supports KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_IEC61937_DTS_HD and KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_IEC61937_DOLBY_MLP !!!

PS BTW thanks for calling my posts useless... I was just trying to share older MS videos about it as it's interesting... I thought as a codec pack dev you'd be interested in those videos... perhaps not eh
post #28 of 43 Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought as a codec pack dev you'd be interested in those videos... perhaps not eh

you thought wrong. and btw, you're welcomed on the useless post comment - they were useless.
I wasted enough of my precious time reading the msdn links you posted. i didnt even look at the video links.

Bitsteamed HD audio is NOT supported by the Vista OS.

Asus introduced the ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 solely to allow audiophiles to bitstream HD audio with the Vista OS.
I have no personal experience with this hardware.
I would suggest puchasing Windows 7 long before suggesting a Vista user to buy this card.

Since the winter season is almost over in the northern hemisphere, that shovel is still available.

post #29 of 43 Old 02-25-2012, 03:03 PM

You know Shark007 I just installed you're codec pack out of curiosity. It installs various toolbars without the ability to opt-out. It also appears to use OpenCandy...

Perhaps I might need that shovel!

PS does your EULA mention this? I guess I should have read it!
post #30 of 43 Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page