Routing my HTPC to two different rooms, same content - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently I run an HTPC using WMC, a Ceton tuner, and Sony DH810 Receiver. It's just run to one TV. It's like to setup a second TV in the bedroom, just as a duplicate.
Could I just setup my video card to run them as dual\\duplicate monitors? And is there a way to split the output from the Sony receiver so I can have surround sound setup in both rooms, and just play in one or the other?
Or am I an idiot and thinking about this the wrong way, and just need to an Xbox extender? If I did it that way, would I just be limited to the TV audio output, or have to buy another receiver? Thanks for any input for a newbie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I just split a buddy's HTPC to his 1080p projector and 720p workout room LCD with no problems.

I used a monoprice HDMI splitter. This way allowed me to use HDMI to both and the LCD TV can control the volume.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! No loss in signal? That sounds like a good idea, but is there a way I can also split the output from the Sony receiver? IE, have a surround setup in each room, just swap which is getting the signal?
post #4 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasBuck View Post

Thanks for the reply! No loss in signal? That sounds like a good idea, but is there a way I can also split the output from the Sony receiver? IE, have a surround setup in each room, just swap which is getting the signal?

I guess you could try to split the HDMI signal coming out of the receiver instead of out of the HTPC.

Haven't tried that one.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I don't run my sound through the HDMI. I run an optical cable from my PC to the receiver, then it runs straight to the surround sound speakers.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If you can get another receiver, then you can have surround sound in both rooms with the same source. Or you can get a number of cheap monoprice speaker selectors- one each for the front LR, surround LR, Centre, and, if applicable, surround backs. Could be done for as little as $70 or so. You may be better off getting a cheap optical capable AVR from Craigslist though.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Splitting HDMI may or may not work. It may mess up your HDCP handshake to the point that most stuff will be unplayable.

Just get a media center extender off ebay, or xbox. Newegg has recertified 4 Gig XBOX360 for $150 shipped. Ebay is full of XBOXes with busted up ODD, or banned ones. Either of those will work as extender.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #8 of 10 Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 209
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125358

would something like that work? thats kind of what I was thinking I might do when I get a 3D tv so I could send one to the receiver and one to the tv

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #9 of 10 Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Its hit or miss with splitting or using a hdmi matrix. Also having two different monitors has issues as well with timings, resolution, overscan, ...

Still have not seen Avatar in 3d.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-24-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been using HDMI distribution amps ("splitters") for a while, without any significant issues. Pretty much all the common ones avaialable these days report EDID info back to the source that is a "worst case" to prevent a signal being sent to a device that it can't handle. So the caveat here is that if you have, for example, one display that can handle 1080p, and one that can't, the end result is you won't be able to send 1080p to either of them (unless you add in another device to spoof it).

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page