XBMC is a huge PITA... but its pretty cool once its working. I don't know if its any better than straight Media Center... but I can see it being more difficult to install.
I followed the instructions in the sticky section here. It was a bit daunting... but I made it through most everything. Enough so that I can watch things anyway.
1) The current version of XBMC hates the Intel i3 with Intel 3000 graphics. If you activate hardware acceleration in XBMC it will wreck the picture. Some much that its unwatchable. There are many threads about this on the web. If you playback is useless check to see if you have hardware acceleration enabled in XBMS settings.
> This issue is still alive and well in v11RC2 code.
2) XBMC seems to find some of the media I put in my watched folders and not all. I haven't dug into this enough to figure out why though. It might be how I configured XBMC but it doesn't show a complete list of all the media files in my watched folders... just the ones it likes. So if it doesn't like something i can't force it to play.
1) I dropped v11 RC2 on top of my existing install and it looks like it got everything upgraded ok. I need to get my hands on a MKV with some HD audio to see if it is outputting that correctly.
>I am able to output HD audio now but RC2 has introduuced a buffering bug. Its all over the XBCM forums.
2) I renamed the video files to simplier names and it looks like its picking everything up pretty well now.
For TV I created season subfolders and named the episodes showname.s01e01 (etc) and they are now being picked up as TV shows ok.CasaTunes Install
This install went rather quickly. I had this running on a different box so I had already gone through the learning process.
iTunes Set Up
- I downloaded the newest version of the code and ran the installer on my new HTPC.
- While the software was installing I RDP'd over to my old server, ran the conguration wizard for CasaTunes and advanced to the licensing page. I copied the serial then clicked on the 'deactivate' button.
- Back on the new PC I completed the install and moved through the config setting up the rooms and sources as I had them before.
- On the license screen I pasted in the serial and activated.
- Back connections are simple phono jack to RCA adapers plugged in to the 'sound card' ports on the system board.
- Simul playing of MP3s through CasaTunes and movie sound via XBMC (HDMI connection) tested and confirmed. Sound comes out everywhere it is supposed to !
Straight forward set up here.
Downloaded the software and ran the installer. Once installed I pointed the library to the music share on my server. Then I imported all the songs in the share.
CasaTunes saw the music right away and I was able to play without any problem.