Any graphic card HDMI 1.4a blueray capable with PCIe 1.0 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

I want to recyle my old PC to be able to play 3D movie with trueHD sound bitstream to my receiver, but my Asus P5B-VM mb with core 2duo 2.63 only has PCIe x16 (version 1.0). Most of the HD graphic card needs PCIe 2.0. Any video card that I have missed with PCIe version 1.0? Thanks

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-25-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't need a PCIe 1.0 card. 2.x cards are backwards compatible with 1.x slots.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #3 of 13 Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I Read somewhere that most of them are not backward compatible. Do you think the Radeon HD 6450 dual-dvi is backward compatible? I couldn't find any concrete info. If it does, does it run smoothly for 3d movie with my mb 4GB DDR2 ram? Thanks again

K
post #4 of 13 Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know, I've never heard that before. I thought backwards compatibility was part of the PCIe spec. I have an Nvidia GT220 in one PCIe 1.x system, and a GT430 in another 1.x system. The only MAJOR difference between 1.x and 2.x is bandwidth, and even 1.x has plenty. I wouldn't expect you to notice a difference unless maybe if you were doing some serious gaming on a higher end multi-GPU system. It certainly shouldn't make a difference for video.

HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #5 of 13 Old 02-25-2012, 01:24 PM

I concur with Darin. Just upgraded my 6 year old computer with an Asus GT430 graphics card. Everything is good to go for BD plus 3D except that I don't have a 3D capable monitor.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 314
There is no definitive answer. A PCIe 2.0 card should work with a PCIe 1.x slot. But it may not work, depending on the mb.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-26-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your helps.

I went and bought a GeForce GT520. It was amazingly small compare to my old ATI all-in-wonder x1900 (1/2 the size). Anyhow; I installed the card, installed the lastest driver from Nvidia site. I plugged the HDMI to my receiver, VGA to the old monitor, DVI to HDMI to samsung plasma (DVI/HDMI port on TV as suggested). When I booted up the system, the VGA monitor was blank and my plasma tv got the boot up screen until the 4 colour dots of win7 startup disappeared then it lost the signal and back to the VGA monitor. I have tried to unplug all the connection to the graphic card except the connect to the plasma TV and restarted the system but the same thing happened. I went into the NVIDIA control panel and the only monitor that it can detect was the VGA. Under the NVIDIA control panel even I choose the "force television at startup" still didn't help. I updated the TV firmware to the latest, but still no luck. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

My system is win 7 64bit home premium
post #8 of 13 Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Did you try HDMI 2/3/4 port? Usually "HDMI (DVI)" is not a correct port. PC with HDMI out is equivalent to DVD/Blu-ray player with HDMI out.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-26-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Did you try HDMI 2/3/4 port? Usually "HDMI (DVI)" is not a correct port. PC with HDMI out is equivalent to DVD/Blu-ray player with HDMI out.

I have tried all the available HDMI ports even via DVI-HDMI receiver-HDMI TV,but all failed. The HDMI-HDMI route to receiver didn't work either. When I forced window to duplicate monitor (window + p), somehow it detected the digital display, but nothing appear on the plasma tv. when I clicked on "view HDCP status", it stated that "this display does not support HDCP as configured", but I have been watching HD movies flawlessly with HDD media player. VGA is the only thing that is working now. Any suggestion? Thanks

Add: If I use any other port other than DVI/HDMI port, it would say "Mode not supported"
post #10 of 13 Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 AM

Just an FYI, PCIe 2.1 is BW compatible with PCIe 2.0 which is typically BW compatible with PCIe 1.0. However, I've not had much luck running a PCIe 2.1 in a 1.0 slot. YMMV.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoceio View Post

Just an FYI, PCIe 2.1 is BW compatible with PCIe 2.0 which is typically BW compatible with PCIe 1.0. However, I've not had much luck running a PCIe 2.1 in a 1.0 slot. YMMV.

Thanks for the info.

This bitstream TrueHD sound & 3D movies HTPC is still premature/unpredictable, nothing concrete yet or maybe I am too premature to give up . I was hoping to test it out my old pc with a cheap graphic card to see if it is worth to put together a high end HTPC, but quite disappointed. It wasted half of my day with lots of frustration. I will give it a try again with Asus GT430 (as it worked for Darin) this weekend. If it doesn't work, then I am just going back to HDD media player. I am waiting for the HD900C. Thanks again
post #12 of 13 Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not convinced your issue is related to the PCIe slot. You get video from the VGA connector, so that indicates the card is communicating with the MB. "Mode not supported" sounds like an issue between the card and display.

post #13 of 13 Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helps

To update:

I exchanged GT520 for the Radeon HD 6570. The Radeon 6570 was a truely a plug&play. It recognized my plasma LCD, receiver and the VGA monitor with no problem. The handshake works everytime no matter in which order I turn the HDMI devices on even I turn only the PC was on then other devices later on. The TM5 plays MKV and .TS with HD sound bitstream to the receiver flawlessly with no stuttering. I watched two movies ~ 6hrs while apps and explorer running in the background with no problem.

There was a minor problem tho.

My setup: PC HDMI to 1080P Pioneer HDMI to HDMI TV, PC DVI to TV DVI, VGA PC to VGA Monitor.

The video output via poineer receiver to TV was degrading so much to the point I can see each pixel in the letter clearly and the movie was so bad. No matter how I play with the resolution or the using the advance CC apps, but no improvement. I've tried turn on/off HDMI passthrough (only for audio tho) but no helps. Currently I am using PC DVI to TV DVI and use extended display to output bitstream HD to my reciever. I must say that using my PC to play HD movies a lot better than the china made Egreat 32B media player that I've had for years in terms of subtitle and more flexibility. However, I am thinking of getting the Asus EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 AMD Radeon HD 6670 to be able to have 3 monitors output. This one has a Displayport. Sometime I work online while watching a movie and with my current setup/video card, I only have two monitors output and they both used . Welcome any suggestion.

Thanks
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page