Thinking of getting a cable card/Tuner for my HTPC. Advice? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmind View Post

...I have a crappy router and it messes up my internet connection trying to run this all wirelessly. A few emails to Silcon and they tell me it's highly recommended to avoid wireless networking for this. ...

I use HDHR2 wireless to my HTPC. Overall, it works fine. It is sensitive to radio interference. The microwave being on disrupts the signal so bad half the time I lose the channel I'm watching. I normally use a PC running Smoothwall as my router/firewall and a traditional router as just a wireless access point.

That said, I use a different PC to do all the PVRing, and that machine is connected via ethernet wire. Although I could record on the other machine, radio interference was too unpredictable and made the recordings unpredictable at times. Usually I would end up with random pixelation like on a bad DVD/BR disc.

Using the wire is best, but you can do wirelessly. I think it's just the way WMC or HDHR handles signal fluctuations. If I can stream at 20Mbps BDrip on the same network using the machines, there is enough bandwidth to handle the cable TV stream.

On a side note, I've read, the newer SD tuners, HDHR3 are a bit more forgiving with signal compared to the HDHR2, which I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 03-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You might want to look at a MOCA network adapter instead of powerline. They are generally more stable and inteferenve free. Here's a link to the one I am using.

missingremote.com-review-actiontec-ethernet-over-coax-moca-network-adapter

I agree with the recommendations above to use a wired vs wireless network and have my main TV wired with Cat5. I am using the Actiontec adapter to get signal to an upstairs bedroom and it has worked flawlessly. Prices have been dropping on these as well.

Also recommend the Ceton InfiniTV4 pcie tuner card.
post #33 of 34 Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Time well spent.

after it's done for sure.

During the procedure I rarely feel the same way

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #34 of 34 Old 03-01-2012, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Hauppage 2650 running WMC on Charter Cable. So far no problems. If you catch one on sale it's less than a hundred but only dual tuners.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page