Anythign like Audyssey or MCACC for HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was trying to do some searching and find out if there is anything like Audyssey, MCACC or YPAO for HTPC use?

The reason I bring this up is kind of obvious.... I'm looking for a better sound setup for my HTPC. Currently I am runnign 6 channel out form my HTPC to an older integra DTR-5.3 which is 80Wpc, I want more headroom for less distortion/clipping and higher dynamic volume.

I have been trying to research and scour eBay, craigslist and the like to find a good deal on a receiver. But I know I can also get more power and cleaner audio possibly from a dedicated 7 channel amp say like the Emotiva XPA-5.

Since I am technically using my HTPC as the Pre/Pro this would workout nicely.... but I am also looking at Audyssey which apparently can have a very large impact on the way the system sounds (because of the room correction). The sound card I am using is a Creative X-Fi Titanium, and using Arcsoft TMT to decode DTS-HD and TrueHD to the 6 channel out.

Or would a dedicated receiver like the Denon 3312CI using the HDMI out of my HTPC be a better choice? By better choice I mean straight digital VS 6 channel out, addition of audyssey etc....

Speaker setup BTW is as follows
Center: Paradigm CC-370 v3
Left / Right: Paradigm Studio 60 V2
Surrounds: JBL Control 5 (still looking for matchign surrounds)
Sub: Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Although I don't use it myself, JRiver Media Center has built-in room correction.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

from reading it doesnt seem very robust... just seems like set the speaker distance and then calibrate SPLs with a SPL meter....

just seems odd there is nothign like this out there.... there has to be something (let me add reasonably priced to that lol)
post #4 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
jriver allows you to use any DSP filter you want
post #5 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 PM

Liked: 10
Interesting.

I would imagine the reason you don't see anything is probably because most companies see a HTPC as a source (ie. like a DVD / BD player), rather than a processor (no pun intended there with the whole CPU).

Would love to hear if there is something out there, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
And there's a new 64-bit convolution engine in JRiver; they're really trying to get to the stage where the HTPC is the preamp.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Axle- View Post

Interesting.

I would imagine the reason you don't see anything is probably because most companies see a HTPC as a source (ie. like a DVD / BD player), rather than a processor (no pun intended there with the whole CPU).

Would love to hear if there is something out there, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Totally agree....your HTPC is another source. Your AMP/Receiver/Processor should handle the sound.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #8 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I *think* what you are looking for could be accomplished with Soundeasy Ultimate EQ, but I have not used it myself, I only use their measurement suite. I think it is more intended for making actively crossed loudspeakers, but you should be able to use it as final filtering for a conventional passively crossed speaker also. I imagine the learning curve is steep.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

augerpro: yeah looks a bit steep and $249 for it....

just made me think once I started looking for a receiver really all I use is my HTPC for everything, all I am doing is passing the sound to it for the most part to be amplified (at least the way it is now) moving to HDMI audio yes I would need something to decode the audio and process it, but with multi channel out...no processing / decoding. Go straight from a HTPC multichannel out to sometihng like an Emotiva XPA-5 and I have a more powerful setup than HDMI out to say a Denon 3312, it seems like the only thing I would be missing out on is audyssey if the HTPC is handling everything.

For an example I tested out my HTPC out to a couple hafler amps (which is what got me started lookign for more power) and it worked great and the speakers seemed a bit more lively. Problem was I was scared of the power draw of multiple high power amps and the HDTV and the HTPC and the subwoofer (and more low power devices) all on the same circuit in a house with old wiring
post #10 of 11 Old 02-28-2012, 12:30 AM

This idea (HTPC handles room correction) is one of the big reasons I'm considering finally getting around to building a HTPC. I was originally eyeballing a receiver with XT32 (Denon 4311/Onkyo NR3009, both >=$1200), but since I'll likely be building a brand new PC this year anyhows, I figured it'd be worthwhile to take a look at seeing if something was available for HTPC use that would allow the use of an older/cheaper receiver yet still yield comparable/better results.

Two options that have come up in my initial research:

Audiolense Surround
http://www.juicehifi.com/index.html

Dirac Live Room Correction Suite
http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-prod...irac-live.aspx

The Dirac suite is the one I'm particularly interested in -- Dirac is the room correction algo used in the Datasat products, also chosen for use in an upcoming Theta CB upgrade. *Nice* stuff.

A recent thread over in the 20k+ forum comparing Dirac with Trinnov:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1366849

Granted, seems like Dirac runtime will probably cost $700 or thereabouts so might not fit your "reasonably priced" goal. Considering that the alternative ways to get your hands on this tech start at an "early adopter" price of ~$1800 (upcoming KAD DL2) and go up from there...

Audiolense seems to be often used with JRiver, not sure how Dirac will work (seems it shows up as a pseudo-sound card of sorts?).

At any rate, seems like it makes sense to throw some of the considerable processing power that can be available in a HTPC at room correction. I'm completely new to HTPCs though (and have been out of HT in general for a few years) so am a bit clueless as to how to get video and 7.1 audio out of the HTPC and into the amps...more research required.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-28-2012, 12:45 AM

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page