Crucial M4 64GB Newegg Deal - $65 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 83 Old 03-02-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Again, I don't buy based on warranty. But I would pick one over the other if they were basically equal and one had a 5 yr warranty vs a 3 yr warranty. I would do that with any piece of electronics, actually --- assuming they were otherwise equal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Oh BTW-- The OCZ comes with a 3 year warranty.

Since when does that suck ???

WD and Seagate give you 1 year on normal HDD drives.

I have even purchased refurbished green WD drives with 3 month warranty's.

They are happily spinning in my PC daily. I sleep well I night knowing I got a good deal on it and my warranty is now up with no coverage.

I guess I am just not scared. Not at all. I have owned just about every piece of hardware someone could own- from totally crappy to the high end stuff. Years of experience has taught me there is no rhyme or reason to any of it so don't bother basing your purchase decision on factors you can't control.

I can control performance, price, cost per GB, and such... so I focus on that.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #63 of 83 Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Oh BTW-- The OCZ comes with a 3 year warranty.

Since when does that suck ???

WD and Seagate give you 1 year on normal HDD drives.

Who said such a thing?
post #64 of 83 Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Again, I don't buy based on warranty. But I would pick one over the other if they were basically equal and one had a 5 yr warranty vs a 3 yr warranty. I would do that with any piece of electronics, actually --- assuming they were otherwise equal.

+1 I will agree with this.

I guess I am generalizing based on the previous 12 month selling prices in my preference and opinions.

Traditionally- the Intel drives have indeed cost more than many Sandforce based SSD's that outperform them in benchmarks.

My entire feeling about this whole SSD thing is based on this being true.

If Intel was suddenly cheaper- and faster- and still had the 5 year warranty to the point of all things equal- I would indeed also choose the Intel and extra warranty.

But that is not reality. Reality is they cost more and benchmark slower on average. Those two factors are the deal breaker for me.

I started buying OCZ before the current Sandforce controller got the bad reputation- and continued buying without hesitation and have not been burned yet. I know I am coming from a different viewpoint than a new purchaser.

But my hope is that they would at least consider them and not automatically believe all the BS they read about people bad mouthing them when they don't even own them or know what they are talking about.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #65 of 83 Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Who said such a thing?

Not trying to put words in your mouth

My point was the warranty is not exactly crappy. I think 3 years is a pretty good warranty.

-

post #66 of 83 Old 03-02-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
My OSK (Old School Kingston) 64GB kicks ass and only cost me $45 AR last year. Makes MediaBrowser a snap.

BTW I thought this was a deal posting that was lasting a long time so I popped in to check it out. Is the deal still live?

post #67 of 83 Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

+1 I will agree with this.

I guess I am generalizing based on the previous 12 month selling prices in my preference and opinions.

Traditionally- the Intel drives have indeed cost more than many Sandforce based SSD's that outperform them in benchmarks.

My entire feeling about this whole SSD thing is based on this being true.

If Intel was suddenly cheaper- and faster- and still had the 5 year warranty to the point of all things equal- I would indeed also choose the Intel and extra warranty.

But that is not reality. Reality is they cost more and benchmark slower on average. Those two factors are the deal breaker for me.

I started buying OCZ before the current Sandforce controller got the bad reputation- and continued buying without hesitation and have not been burned yet. I know I am coming from a different viewpoint than a new purchaser.

But my hope is that they would at least consider them and not automatically believe all the BS they read about people bad mouthing them when they don't even own them or know what they are talking about.

I thought you said that speed was basically the same. In your words "a 5-10% performance bump most normal people would be hard to tell existed".

I agree with you that they are the same for HTPC. For gaming or desktop use then sure there might be a noticeable difference.

I think you are trying to go out of your way to defend OCZ for some reason. No one has said that OCZ is inferior. But you can see why some people choose one over the other.

To put it another way let's do a blind comparison...

Option A:
100% performance boost from baseline, less reliable reputation (but still GOOD and very acceptable), 3 year warranty, $100

Option B: 90% boost from baseline, more reliable reputation, 5 year warranty, $100

For HTPC the 100% and 90% performance boost is roughly a wash. So I will take option B assuming they are the same price. If option B is more expensive then I might go with option A.

So in the end that's where we are. I think its quite simple really.
post #68 of 83 Old 03-02-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
A nice long warranty on an SSD sucks when you're having problems after six months but the SDD is 'discontinued' so 'honoring' the 'warranty' means only that they'll repair it, not replace it.

I am looking at YOU, Kingston.

post #69 of 83 Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

A nice long warranty on an SSD sucks when you're having problems after six months but the SDD is 'discontinued' so 'honoring' the 'warranty' means only that they'll repair it, not replace it.

I am looking at YOU, Kingston.

What a crock.
post #70 of 83 Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Asssassin,

Your 100% right like usual.

I do go out of my way to defend OCZ because I feel they, and sandforce controllers get a bad reptuation that's not exactly justified.

And- Your sum up is pretty accurate. If someone feels the extra warranty or percieved reliability is better on a crucial or a Intel SSD- then that makes sense for them and the purchase decision they make.

They are good drives, and no doubt owners of any of these would be happy.

-

post #71 of 83 Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Well, I installed both of my new SSDs over the weekend using the cloning method instead of reinstalling OSs on my two computers. Damn what a pain in the ass it is to realign the partitions. I think in hindsight I should have just reinstalled. I used Gparted Live CD on one and Paragon Alignment Tool on the other, PAT wouldn't work on my laptop for some reason.

Checking for proper partition alignment I noticed one of my 2TB HDD wasn't optimally aligned so I aligned it on my headless system. Aligning my SSD worked headless since it initiated over RDP on WHS2011, rebooted to do the alignment, then restarted into WHS without interaction.

I then tried to do the 2TB HDD overnight. Well in the morning I was still not able to access the desktop so I assumed it had either finished and was waiting at a user prompt or it had failed. I loaned out my only monitor and have to haul the server down to a TV to see what it says. Long story short it basically failed to align and I ended up formatting it. Luckly I just added a parity drive to my FlexRAID pool and it recovered the entire drive in what had to be less than 5 minutes! I was prepared to wait all day for it to rebuild.

post #72 of 83 Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I always recommend a new install. In the end I think its the safest and may actually save you time and most importantly headaches.
post #73 of 83 Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I always recommend a new install. In the end I think its the safest and may actually save you time and most importantly headaches.

I usually do new installs, but I've also had luck cloning when upgrading HDDs. I just don't think I've ever went from a larger to smaller drive or had to bother with proper alignment. Both of those killed more time than I was planning. I had to shrink the OS partition down to fit on the smaller SSDs, clone, then align.

post #74 of 83 Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

+1

Actually easier to install clean copy of windows

I also find a performance increase in a fresh clean copy vs an older existing one
Great opportunity to have a nice clean registry and get it running just as you like before you create back up

I use thumb drive or drop box that includes all my programs I want to install like media master , media browser, security essentials, shark007, thunderbird, Chrome, Firefox , chipset drivers and such

Usually I download everything on another pc while the windows disc is installing

Then when it's done all I need do is plug in thumb drive or install Dropbox and everything I need is there and ready

With ssd drives installs are quick even with multiple restarts

-

post #75 of 83 Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I usually do new installs, but I've also had luck cloning when upgrading HDDs. I just don't think I've ever went from a larger to smaller drive or had to bother with proper alignment. Both of those killed more time than I was planning. I had to shrink the OS partition down to fit on the smaller SSDs, clone, then align.

If your swapping drives and not just restoring- it's always better to just clean install.

In many cases easier- in all cases it is better performance.

I find that a clean copy installed- then properly updated with the service packs runs much smoother... than a machine that has been continuously updated for past year or two... with countless installs and uninstalls of programs.

Fresh PC's always work best. So even if it wasn't easier- it would still be worth it.

-

post #76 of 83 Old 03-05-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

http://ninite.com/

This might be helpful if your clean installing.

It puts everything on your PC without bloatware.

-

post #77 of 83 Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If your swapping drives and not just restoring- it's always better to just clean install.

In many cases easier- in all cases it is better performance.

I find that a clean copy installed- then properly updated with the service packs runs much smoother... than a machine that has been continuously updated for past year or two... with countless installs and uninstalls of programs.

Fresh PC's always work best. So even if it wasn't easier- it would still be worth it.

I know. I usually do clean installs, but I had two drives to move to SSDs and not much time to devote to the program reinstalls. This wasn't for my HTPC, but for my laptop and server. Usually upgrading to a larger HDD cloning works fine since the target partition size is larger and I never had to deal with partition alignment.

Next time I do a SSD swap I'll clean install it, but now three out of four PCs in my house all have one and the remaining one isn't feasible.

post #78 of 83 Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Next time I do a SSD swap I'll clean install it, but now three out of four PCs in my house all have one and the remaining one isn't feasible.

Yeah- I hear you. I am upgrading every PC in my home to SSD.

I refuse to allow HDD's any longer. It's just unacceptable.

-

post #79 of 83 Old 03-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Yeah- I hear you. I am upgrading every PC in my home to SSD.

I refuse to allow HDD's any longer. It's just unacceptable.

This morning I booted up my slowest system; a single 2.4 GHz with 1 Gig Ram and PATA (so can't update) it.s an old laptop. Anyway, this used to be a snappy machine but after replacing with SSDs in most of the other 'puters this thing just crawled. I believe I'll slipstrem this back to XP where it at least has a chance. It's like trying to get on the freeway with a 90CC motorcycle.
post #80 of 83 Old 03-10-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

This morning I booted up my slowest system; a single 2.4 GHz with 1 Gig Ram and PATA (so can't update) it.s an old laptop. Anyway, this used to be a snappy machine but after replacing with SSDs in most of the other 'puters this thing just crawled. I believe I'll slipstrem this back to XP where it at least has a chance. It's like trying to get on the freeway with a 90CC motorcycle.

I totally agree 100%

I honestly can't even use other peoples PC's.

Often people ask me to help them set something, fix something or what not and simply waiting for an uninstall or install seems to take years.

Funny how our first pc's with dial up seemed so fast at the time- and now an ordinary PC new of the shelf with a HDD installed OS seems slow to the point of not worth my time to even bother using it.

-

post #81 of 83 Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

good deal on the 120 GB right now.. both OCZ and Crucial on sale heavy.

FYI

-

post #82 of 83 Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

Why not a Seagate Hybrid drive? 750GB 16GB SSD for cache, only a bit slower than a pure SSD after it caches you're most used programs/files.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #83 of 83 Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

Why not a Seagate Hybrid drive? 750GB 16GB SSD for cache, only a bit slower than a pure SSD after it caches you're most used programs/files.

It is quite a bit slower than a real SSD.

120GB SSD that is top tier- vs a 750GB momentus is no contest at all.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page