post #331 of 462 Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

My system is way too complex for this simple idea. For Win7, I have HDMI going to a receiver but I have two monitors (projector and regular monitor). If I turn on the receiver to listen to music, all hell breaks loose and I completely lose the view on my regular monitor. I have to use a mechanical HDMI switch between the computer and the receiver to prevent this (when I'm done watching the projector, I switch the switch to an unused input). I don't want to use the projector for just normal web surfing, balancing my checkbook, doing work. Microsoft hasn't figured out that people actually use two screens. Maybe Win8 will correct this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nope, you can get that to work without the switch. I've got the exact same setup. I use optical out for music instead of the HDMI. You do have to switch the preferred audio device to SPDIF though, but once you switch the input on your receiver to the SPDIF input, you should still retain an image on your monitor (since your receiver should no longer show up as a display device).

And actually, I think you can fiddle with your display settings and even get it to work over HDMI. You just have to manage to set your monitor to be the primary display (only display would be better). At least with the Nvidia drivers, they remember this the next time you kick on the receiver.

Nevertheless, it can be done one way or the other. No need for the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 462 Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Has anyone else tried TMT 5 with Windows 8? Unfortunately, when I press play the program just immediately closes. I tried compatibility mode, but no dice. This is happening on both of my HTPCs.

Same here. Installation and running in compatibility mode does not help.

I really wanted Win8 to work, but the problems are piling up and now I am back to Win7.

Edit: I see on the Arcsoft TMT forum some reports of TMT5.144 and 5.2 running, at least in MCE. Will try again at home later.
post #333 of 462 Old 04-10-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post

Same here. Installation and running in compatibility mode does not help.

I really wanted Win8 to work, but the problems are piling up and now I am back to Win7.

Edit: I see on the Arcsoft TMT forum some reports of TMT5.144 and 5.2 running, at least in MCE. Will try again at home later.

Where did you find this? I'm running 5.2.1.120, and it's not working. How do you downgrade anyway?
post #334 of 462 Old 04-10-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post

We're very happy with our 7MC HTPC setup, but for our family there are two flaws in Windows Media Center that we're hoping will be (have been) fixed in the Windows 8 version:
  • The bug where MC doesn't switch tuners if you're recording successive programs on the same channel, unless you select the "record after 10 minutes" setting. This means that, if you leave, say, a 1-minute safety margin at both ends of a recording, then the first minute of the second show will appear only at the end of the first show's recording.
  • The inability to record the live TV buffer. If this is fixed, then (like a DVR) if you decide that you like a show that you just discovered, you can start recording it and it will add what you've already seen to the final recording. As it is now, WMC starts recording only from the exact moment that you tell it to start recording, so you miss whatever you saw before.
Has anybody found out yet if one or both of these "features" have been fixed in 8MC?

7MC and 8MC are exactly the same as of now.
post #335 of 462 Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Where did you find this? I'm running 5.2.1.120, and it's not working. How do you downgrade anyway?

Here and here. Also, in the meantime, added official response: no support until Win8 release.
post #336 of 462 Old 04-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Except, 8MC does not work on my old-old htpc. And does not work with Media Browser, and does not show TMT5 in the menu without a hack, and I don't know what else.
At least they should have added ISO support, now that Win8 supports mounting natively.
post #337 of 462 Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there a setting that would keep my PC from shutting completely down?

When I use shutdown the screen goes blank but my computer is still running.
post #338 of 462 Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post

Except, 8MC does not work on my old-old htpc. And does not work with Media Browser, and does not show TMT5 in the menu without a hack, and I don't know what else.
At least they should have added ISO support, now that Win8 supports mounting natively.

That doesn't make any sense. What do you mean it doesn't work? If anything it should work better with 8 designed to run smoother on the same hardware as 7 and being more memory efficient.
post #339 of 462 Old 04-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That doesn't make any sense. What do you mean it doesn't work? If anything it should work better with 8 designed to run smoother on the same hardware as 7 and being more memory efficient.

Rumor has it, Win8 is incompatible with non-sse2 cpu's, due to .net 4.5; or it may be just a bug.
post #340 of 462 Old 04-11-2012, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Bummer.

But, thanks for letting me know.
post #341 of 462 Old 04-29-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

just did a quick scan through the thread and I have a question. Is it s general thumbs up or thumbs down for Windows 8?
post #342 of 462 Old 04-29-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

just did a quick scan through the thread and I have a question. Is it s general thumbs up or thumbs down for Windows 8?

It has numerous problems (as noted throughout this thread), but it is really impossible to make any valid judgement based on the consumer preview version that is out there. I like the interface (after a good deal of usage) and had thought that the upgrade would make sense, but the idea that media center will be offered only as an add-on to the "Pro" version has me re-thinking that.

Long story short...I'm still on the fence (and I really like to jump on cutting edge technology).
post #343 of 462 Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

I will very likely upgrade to Windows 8, but I will keep my HTPC on Windows 7.

No way am I going to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and then pay extra for a "Media Pack" that, by all accounts, is no further forward than the Windows Media Center that is included, for free, in Windows 7.

Geoff Coupe
post #344 of 462 Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 AM

Liked: 10
It seems like the consensus so far is a true "wait and see" on an HTPC-specific setup of Windows 8. There is potential for the media ecosystem to grow through Metro apps (apps for your netflix/hulu/XBMC/Plex/VUDU et al if the developers see it worthwhile or profitable.

"Media Center" in its DVR/CableCard capacity may be relegated to an even deeper niche, but hopefully another provider comes up with a way to use an app for your CableCard/Tuner and DVR needs, be it Ceton or SiliconDust or another wayward DVR software developer. But that is all unknown.

if I got out my crystal ball, the "HTPC" insofar as what we know now will have to be Windows 7 based. Windows 8 may build up the apps needed over time to become a different kind of Media Center but I would bet MS wants you to buy their new Xbox next year for all your TV/Media needs on your big TV.
post #345 of 462 Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

That's going to be my consensus as well. In fact, with a tablet PC W8 may be the ticket but I'm not convinced it is the right move for those still using lap /desk tops. Maybe this will be a point of divergence for the two. That's not an entirely bad thing in my view.
post #346 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
IF there is by chance a canadian who is using windows 8 and mce, could you please let us know if the netflix app in windows 8 mce now works in canada? It would be a huge help.
post #347 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 07:25 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeMan View Post

Is there a setting that would keep my PC from shutting completely down?

When I use shutdown the screen goes blank but my computer is still running.

In Win7, you go to the power profile and check to see what it says for the Shutdown option. It probably says Standby. You can change it to Shutdown.
post #348 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 07:27 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsimmons View Post

I like the interface (after a good deal of usage) and had thought that the upgrade would make sense, but the idea that media center will be offered only as an add-on to the "Pro" version has me re-thinking that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post

I will very likely upgrade to Windows 8, but I will keep my HTPC on Windows 7.

No way am I going to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and then pay extra for a "Media Pack" that, by all accounts, is no further forward than the Windows Media Center that is included, for free, in Windows 7.

Quote:
We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1418458/media-center-to-be-free-with-win-8-upgrade-and-a-low-cost-upgrade/90
post #349 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 AM

@cybrsage - at the time I made the comment about not upgrading my HTPC, Microsoft had not come out and stated that upgrades to Windows 8 Pro for existing Windows 7 installations would be only $39.95. Historical data was suggesting a premium of an additional $100 over the upgrade price of plain old Windows 8.

At the price of $39.95, it's probably worthwhile taking the upgrade for the HTPC as well as for my other PCs.

Geoff Coupe
post #350 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 352
There's a reason the upgrade is only $40. That should be a big red flag to everyone. I highly recommend everyone try it before buying. You'd have to pay me substantially more than $40 to run this abomination on any of my PCs. I predict Win 8 will be a much bigger flop than Vista.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #351 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I skipped Vista and stayed with XP. After failing to get a flash drive set up with 8 and not wanting to screw up my current setup I am leaning towards sticking with 7 and skipping Windows 8. Of course if there are many glowing reports of the advantage of Windows 8 for a HTPC I will reconsider later.
post #352 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

There's a reason the upgrade is only $40. That should be a big red flag to everyone. I highly recommend everyone try it before buying. You'd have to pay me substantially more than $40 to run this abomination on any of my PCs. I predict Win 8 will be a much bigger flop than Vista.

I have been trying it since February 2012. For the most part, I like what I see. I will be upgrading my PCs without any regrets.

Geoff Coupe
post #353 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I was playing with it the other day on a new PC I built and what bugs me is about half the OS is metro and half is Windows 7 and if (when) you go into some of these metro apps, there's no obvious way out. That might work OK on a tablet, I mean I can see how it's "similar" to my Android phone, but it's rather infuriating to just get stuck in metro with no way out. Yeah, sure you can Alt+Tab to get back, Alt+F4 (I think) but for a desktop opersting system you shouldn't have to do that.

That's my real problem so far, Windows 8 just seems disjointed, like it can't make up it's mind if it's a desktop or a mobile OS and IMO that's a problem. Metro should be optional, something that can be disabled on a desktop.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #354 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Actually, it just ask you upon first install what to use, Metro or the default Windows 7/8 desktop, or better yet (to be more intuitive) ask you if you are using a tablet or a laptop/desktop, and default to that selection. A simple solution to the tablet/laptop/desktop GUI problem, and everybody is happy.

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
post #355 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The new interface is cartoonish, inconsistent, awkward to use, complicated to find the simplest things. Case in point, I had to do a google search just to figure out how to turn off my PC (turns out it's several obtuse steps involving going into Settings rather than 2 simple ones). If MS meant for this to be intuitive and simple, they've failed miserably. If I had trouble as a software engineer for over 20 years, how is the general public going to fare?

It fails as an HTPC interface on a very basic level. No matter how you set the font or icon sizes, it's nearly impossible to read the text from 10' away. The simplest tasks often require a text search. My family and I need to be able to operate an HTPC with a remote for the most part. Text searches for launching programs or changing settings is unacceptable. A modern OS should make it quick and easy to navigate to an icon or menu item to perform a given task . This is simply impossible on Win 8.

My young son literally laughed out loud when he first saw Metro. He though I was playing a joke on him. When I convinced him this was really Windows 8, he was very depressed as I was. It's actually very sad that this is going to be the future of computing.

post #356 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So cant you switch back to desktop mode? I might be missing something but i assumed windows 8 was designed for touch screens.... not an htpc. Everyone is still going to need to run xbmc, mce..
post #357 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 04:59 PM

Liked: 10
Does the Metro desktop work with a remote?
post #358 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The new interface is cartoonish, inconsistent, awkward to use, complicated to find the simplest things. Case in point, I had to do a google search just to figure out how to turn off my PC (turns out it's several obtuse steps involving going into Settings rather than 2 simple ones). If MS meant for this to be intuitive and simple, they've failed miserably. If I had trouble as a software engineer for over 20 years, how is the general public going to fare?
It fails as an HTPC interface on a very basic level. No matter how you set the font or icon sizes, it's nearly impossible to read the text from 10' away. The simplest tasks often require a text search. My family and I need to be able to operate an HTPC with a remote for the most part. Text searches for launching programs or changing settings is unacceptable. A modern OS should make it quick and easy to navigate to an icon or menu item to perform a given task . This is simply impossible on Win 8.
My young son literally laughed out loud when he first saw Metro. He though I was playing a joke on him. When I convinced him this was really Windows 8, he was very depressed as I was. It's actually very sad that this is going to be the future of computing.

Did you go into accessibility and increase the size of everything on the desktop? After I did that, I could see everything easily on my 50" TV from the couch.
post #359 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiter View Post

Does the Metro desktop work with a remote?

Sort of. You can navigate the home screen with a directional pad, enter, and the Win key, but many of the apps require scrolling.
post #360 of 462 Old 07-15-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

So cant you switch back to desktop mode? I might be missing something but i assumed windows 8 was designed for touch screens.... not an htpc. Everyone is still going to need to run xbmc, mce..
I wish. But AFIAK, you must select Desktop from Metro every time you boot. Once in Desktop mode, there is no Start menu, so you have to hover in the top right corner, then move down to a search icon to do anything. When you click search you get an arbitrary list of apps grouped nonsensically. Usually the app you want to run isn't listed, so you have to do a text search for it.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page