post #451 of 462 Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

I'm going to give it a couple months to make sure all the codecs and main programs I use play nice with it.
My Channel Logos will never work with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 462 Old 08-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

I'm going to give it a couple months to make sure all the codecs and main programs I use play nice with it.

I'm only installing it on the 15th onto my desktops/laptop. My HTPCs will wait until its fully tested. I'm not worried about codecs because I use XBMC. I'm more or less worried about loosing my appliance feel of a setup with the WMC (live tv) + xbmc integration using just a remote. I think Windows 8 with metro has great potential for HTPC because of the Metro interface, but it will need to be tested first and apps.

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #453 of 462 Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

My Channel Logos will never work with it.

Never? Any reason why?
post #454 of 462 Old 08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Never? Any reason why?
Yes. MCL works by modifying a WMC dll or two. This continued to work fine in the Win 8 developer preview, but not in the release preview. Dll's are now locked down, and the MCL developers have found no way around it. There's a big thread about it at TheGreenButton. The 7 row guide and no logos is a big step backwards that I'm not willing to take. So I would advise anyone interested in Win 8 to thoroughly test it out beforehand. I have done so, and see many more negatives than positives, to put it mildly.
post #455 of 462 Old 08-01-2012, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Yes. MCL works by modifying a WMC dll or two. This continued to work fine in the Win 8 developer preview, but not in the release preview. Dll's are now locked down, and the MCL developers have found no way around it. There's a big thread about it at TheGreenButton. The 7 row guide and no logos is a big step backwards that I'm not willing to take. So I would advise anyone interested in Win 8 to thoroughly test it out beforehand. I have done so, and see many more negatives than positives, to put it mildly.

Interesting. That certainly would effect my decision. How did Microsoft manage to lock down .dll's and will that continue to the final release? I have several programs with modified .dll's and it seems very common.
post #456 of 462 Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Modify a DLL is considered a security risk. That's how virus infects system files. As a result, Windows can identify if a DLL is from a trusted source (either installed via a digitally signed installer or cab file) and wether or not it has been tampered. In current Windows 7, the OS does not take immediate action if such tampering is detected. But I have seen in some Citrix based app server, such DLLs will not allow to be loaded into the memory unless you have the administrative privillege.

If you download or copy an exe file to your Win7 PC, sometimes you will get a prompt by the OS that this exe file is not trusted, do you want to continue. Windows 8 may have further tighten this security.
post #457 of 462 Old 08-02-2012, 07:59 AM

Liked: 147
Simple fix is for the MyChannelLogo guys to register the changed DLL with Microsoft. TheGreenButton is now Microsoft owned, right? Should be easy to start that ball rolling for them.
post #458 of 462 Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

They know that. But it costs way too much for small time independent developers like MCL. So they won't be doing it. This is likely the case for many WMC add-ons and hacks. Small developers are going to be locked out of Win 8 because their pockets aren't deep enough.

Also every change you make (add a logo, change spacing, change number of lines, etc) is a different mod to the DLL. So registering millions of versions for every possible combination is not going to happen either.

TheGreenButton is just a forum where MCL developers happen to post from time to time. Whether it's owned my MS or not makes no difference in this case. That relationship won't help MCL.

What is really needed is a new API, so the DLL doesn't have to be modified. Or better yet, MS could buy MCL and integrated the functionality into WMC. But that's never going to happen either.
post #459 of 462 Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdkhang View Post

Windows 8 won't be having the same problem as they will be making a massive push towards "class" drivers so most recent hardware/peripherals will work out of the box. Without Vista, windows 7 would have been blasted for the same things, without Vista and 7, Windows 8 would fared quite a bit better due to the acceleration and class drivers alone.

Have you heard if Microsoft is finally going to provide USB Audio Class 2.0 drivers? Or are we going to need proprietary drivers for USB2 audio...?

From what I've read, they don't seem to be moving in this direction for audio with Win8.

Gregg Plummer
Amplizone - a blog about the development of Amplio Audio's soundcard/amps
The Short History of Audio/Video Technology
post #460 of 462 Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:

What is really needed is a new API, so the DLL doesn't have to be modified. Or better yet, MS could buy MCL and integrated the functionality into WMC. But that's never going to happen either.

Both good options, hope one pans out. I like MCL.
post #461 of 462 Old 08-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Liked: 10
Meet the new Metro, same as the old Metro.

Microsoft announces that the Metro name will be replaced with “Windows 8-style UI”

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/08/02/microsoft-ditches-metro-now-using-windows-8-style-ui/
post #462 of 462 Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Liked: 18
This thread makes me chuckle. The DLL stuff is pretty funny considering that UAC was supposed to solve all of those issues with Vista. I need to go find some threads where the MS apologists were coming out of the woodwork talking about how amazing Vista was compared to XP. "You just don't understand what this is going to do for us. It takes us much more into the future in terms of hardware acceleration! This OS is packed with cups and metric measurements of awesome."

*chortle*
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page