post #31 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post

Try it longer ; In the CP it will be customisable.
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...present-140867

Yah I'm sure I just needed to give it more time to learn some of the stuff. Not really interested in it at this time. Was just bored that day. I'm hanging on to Win7 for some time. Unless I have a need for win 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I grabbed a dev copy and threw it on vmware to try it out. Didn't play with it much but from a desktop standpoint I don't like it. No start menu? WTH?
And metro is just not for me. It looks like windows phone which I hate.

Obviously that part of it is more for a tablet. So I would like to try it out with a touch screen. Although I'm an android guy so idk. Besides metro it does look very similar to win 7.

So what I am hearing is :

Win7 = Nice computer operating system with some nice mobile device features ?

Win 8 = Nice mobile device operating system with some desk top computer features ?

Obviously it is to early to tell for sure but your analogy seems to be consistent with others .

Look at the mobile device market right now and toward the foreseeable future . The desk top is on a fast death march. In short order we will be all controlling what we do in a computing environment more and more from some type of phone or mobile tablet as cpu dies keep getting smaller and smaller .

My .02 cents
post #33 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Well all you have to do is close metro and you pretty much have windows 7. But theres no start menu which is really lame to me. Maybe they will bring it back idk.
post #34 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody willing to post some screenies of basic shots of Win 8 ?
post #35 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

post #36 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Apple is doing the same thing - OSX is being killed off and replaced with iOS.

In a few years I expect all OS's will look like phones and be all about Facebook, twitter, and cloud services only
post #37 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Will the price of Win7 drop once Win8 comes out?

That really may be the silver lining here. I don't remember if Vista dropped once Win7 came out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #38 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

Win 8 = Nice mobile device operating system with some desk top computer features ?

Obviously it is to early to tell for sure but your analogy seems to be consistent with others .

Look at the mobile device market right now and toward the foreseeable future . The desk top is on a fast death march. In short order we will be all controlling what we do in a computing environment more and more from some type of phone or mobile tablet as cpu dies keep getting smaller and smaller .

My .02 cents

I sure hope not. I need a keyboard and mouse. I can type and navigate about ten times faster with a keyboard and mouse. Sure tablets and phones have their place but they cannot replace a keyboard for input and a mouse for navigation. As long as that tablet is connected to a real monitor, keyboard and mouse then okay but I'm not giving up this critical input method for some crappy touch-screen.

post #39 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Will the price of Win7 drop once Win8 comes out?

That really may be the silver lining here. I don't remember if Vista dropped once Win7 came out.

Judging by what I have seen thus far ... if anything the price for win7 should go way up in price
post #40 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I sure hope not. I need a keyboard and mouse. I can type and navigate about ten times faster with a keyboard and mouse. Sure tablets and phones have their place but they cannot replace a keyboard for input and a mouse for navigation. As long as that tablet is connected to a real monitor, keyboard and mouse then okay but I'm not giving up this critical input method for some crappy touch-screen.

As if MS gives a "rats *ss"

Adapt and over come will be the lesson of the new day . Watch and see what happens after win8 . Betcha it goes entirely mobile . Mind you that by that time what we think as "mobile" may be considered quite large by then . Just speculation .... Moores law is such a true thing
post #41 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As if MS gives a "rats *ss"

Adapt and over come will be the lesson of the new day . Watch and see what happens after win8 . Betcha it goes entirely mobile . Mind you that by that time what we think as "mobile" may be considered quite large by then . Just speculation .... Moores law is such a true thing

Not typing on a touch screen for most activities I do nor am I reaching across my desk to swipe my finger on the monitor.. I just won't update unless this "mobile" device can connect to KVM. Touch screen is a nice novelty but for speed it cannot beat having a KVM.

post #42 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Liked: 10
The desktop is not even close to ending. Yes, many of the computing things we do will probably be merged with mobile devices. But I don't see many lawyers, paralegals, and professors (to name a few) typing away thousand page documents on a virtual keyboard on a small screen. It is changing, yes - but not ending . . .
post #43 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlaw View Post

The desktop is not even close to ending. Yes, many of the computing things we do will probably be merged with mobile devices. But I don't see many lawyers, paralegals, and professors (to name a few) typing away thousand page documents on a virtual keyboard on a small screen. It is changing, yes - but not ending . . .

..or even a large screen.

post #44 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM

Nothing to stop you plugging that mobile device into a docking station attached to a 24" monitor and real keyboard when you sit down at a desk to do some serious work.
post #45 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilengineer View Post

Nothing to stop you plugging that mobile device into a docking station attached to a 24" monitor and real keyboard when you sit down at a desk to do some serious work.

I don't think the performance is at that level yet.
post #46 of 462 Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds as if most people here ragging on Windows 8 haven't even seen it. Apart from the OS being designed to be more touch friendly none of the standard inputs or capabilities of Windows are missing. You are not stuck using a "mobile" device or forced to type using an onscreen keyboard. Keyboards, mice, printers, multiple monitors, Photoshop and everything that worked under Win7 will work in Windows 8. At least try it out in a form more representative of the final product before assuming its just a mobile phone OS pretending to be a PC.
post #47 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 02:57 AM

I saw somewhere where they had a pic of wmc on the windows 8 preview. But as i read elsewhere they are saying not untill the official 8 release so i wonder which is true?
post #48 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

Sounds as if most people here ragging on Windows 8 haven't even seen it. Apart from the OS being designed to be more touch friendly none of the standard inputs or capabilities of Windows are missing. You are not stuck using a "mobile" device or forced to type using an onscreen keyboard. Keyboards, mice, printers, multiple monitors, Photoshop and everything that worked under Win7 will work in Windows 8. At least try it out in a form more representative of the final product before assuming its just a mobile phone OS pretending to be a PC.

Yep , myself included . That's what people do . These opinions are pure speculation at best and the final release will be the telling factor . Heck , I normally do not even put a new os on any machine until the first service pack comes out . Usually by then they have the bugs worked out and have adjusted for peoples dislikes and or needs .
post #49 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Metro/Touch will work well on devices designed from the ground up for this, i.e. tablets, but it will have a very slow take up on desktops. How many people actually have touch-ready monitors? A fraction of a fraction of a percent probably. Most will be controlling Metro with a mouse/keyboard, which could actually get pretty tiring very quickly. How many workarounds will come out for disabling Metro entirely on desktop PC's I wonder?

The desktop is here to stay, and considering where MS actually get most of there money from, it's highly likely that Metro will even be the second choice interface in Windows 8 Enterprise (or whatever it's called). Corporates will not tolerate an interface like Metro, and would steer clear of 8 just as they did with Vista if this was the case.

Crazily enough, it's actually apps like Media Center that would get the most benefit from Metro. It would be an ideal 10' interface for the TV, all controlled via a remote. Perfect, but MS seem to be moving away from this now, which is a complete shame.

Would there be any real benefit for dedicated HTPC's with the WMC frontend to switch to 8, when 7 does everything they need? I seriously doubt it.
post #50 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
One of the better things about Win 8 is the app store, I could see apps designed for WMC. People are getting to hung up on the Metro design, the OS will function pretty much like every other version of Windows.
post #51 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Another huge advantage of Win8 is the Storage Space functionality. Hopefully it will be included in the consumer preview.

This is the MAIN thing I want to check out. I was on the verge of building a RAID and read up on this. This could be a game-changer for media servers and HTPC.

For the ppl complaining about Metro UI, you do realize you can turn it off, right? You aren't required to use it.

Win8 is built on the same platform as Win7, only it runs much lighter and faster. If you like Win7, you'll love Win8.

post #52 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

One of the better things about Win 8 is the app store, I could see apps designed for WMC. People are getting to hung up on the Metro design, the OS will function pretty much like every other version of Windows.

Have you used it? Theres no start menu.
post #53 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Have you used it? Theres no start menu.

If you want one, it's available; see here.

post #54 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 AM

downloading now, i'll pop a virtual box of it and give it a spin! can't wait

its my blog about bmw's, primal eating, pc gaming...whatever i feel like :)
post #55 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 AM

Once someone has this up and running, don't forget to verify whether it has media center burried somewhere in it or not. No need to download it for my HTPC if it does not have media center in it yet.
post #56 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
WMC is included in the Consumer Preview. Here's a screenshot:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/...p=13445#p13444

HTPC Enthusiast
post #57 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 125
ISO downloads here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Windows Team Blog Introduction: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...r-preview.aspx (lots of answers to speculation)

Live Tiles FTW. You'll never look at an icon the same way again.

post #58 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

My .02 cents

Yeah.. OK.. I hear this often.. let me just say this:

Let me know when you figure out how to work Quickbooks/Peachtree/MAS90-200... any CRM or ERP system on a touch screen only. Good luck with that.

Prepared to type up a long report? Compose spreadsheets and do sales projections or inventory management with your fingers only?

Microsoft has one market sewed up: businesses. There is no way they come out with an OS that isn't geared toward the desktop when it's the market they dominate.
post #59 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM

I've had Windows 8 on one of my laptops for a couple of months. Took it for a test drive. No Thanks. Uninstalled it last week. If you buy off the shelf next year, you probably won't have any choise. I just can't see me loading it into any of my builds.
post #60 of 462 Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 AM

Looks like Storage Spaces is included in the Preview. (scroll to 4:41 PM)

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page