Windows 8 Consumer Preview Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 462 Old 03-02-2012, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am using the Win 8 preview to post this. I find it takes some getting used to for old-timers like myself, but I like a lot of what I have found.

I have a problem with my cable card setup that is making me a little crazy. The cable advisor in WMC reports that my video does not support hardware acceleration. Sine I am using the on-chip graphics of an i3-2100 on a gigabyte h67 motherboard, I do not really understand this. I installed all the available updates.

This has to be something simple that I am missing. Anyone else seeing this?

there is a solution to this if you find yourself having similar problems:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...2-4d79b7f8c779
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 462 Old 03-02-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Probably need to install latest Win7 graphics driver from Intel.
post #123 of 462 Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Have you run through the Windows System Assessment? If so, what's the store?

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #124 of 462 Old 03-02-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I had to install the Intel Windows 7 video drivers on my laptop to get anything OpenGL to work, so I suspect that advice will do it for you.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #125 of 462 Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

Have you run through the Windows System Assessment? If so, what's the store?

4.5 business graphics
4.9 gaming
7.1 processor
5.9 disk and ram
post #126 of 462 Old 03-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I sure hope not. I need a keyboard and mouse. I can type and navigate about ten times faster with a keyboard and mouse. Sure tablets and phones have their place but they cannot replace a keyboard for input and a mouse for navigation. As long as that tablet is connected to a real monitor, keyboard and mouse then okay but I'm not giving up this critical input method for some crappy touch-screen.

I loathe my phone's touch screen keyboard every single day. Even though there is no better solution other than getting a much bigger phone or smaller screen.

Even a desktop PC I can't see being defunct. You will always have instances where you want a machine and it just doesn't need to be mobile at all. As such it will be more power for less money.
post #127 of 462 Old 03-02-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I had to install the Intel Windows 7 video drivers on my laptop to get anything OpenGL to work, so I suspect that advice will do it for you.

Tried that. The package will not install under windows 8. Tried searching for updated drivers...no joy.

Thanks for the help though. I'll keep looking around.
post #128 of 462 Old 03-02-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsimmons View Post

Tried that. The package will not install under windows 8. Tried searching for updated drivers...no joy.

Then you have no one but Intel to blame.

I'm on Nvidia site today and they already have drivers for Windows 8 Consumer Preview (although it probably just a Win7 driver).
post #129 of 462 Old 03-02-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I'm on Nvidia site today and they already have drivers for Windows 8 Consumer Preview (although it probably just a Win7 driver).

Its hard to blame anyone at this point. There was a graphics driver update int the first spat of windows updates yesterday, but it did not fix the issue with the cable card advisor.

Has anyone else run into issues with i3,5,7 based systems and a fresh install for windows 8?
post #130 of 462 Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

That is because 8 is just a new interface on top of 7.
post #131 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The one to blame is Microsoft. Windows & drivers are WDDM 1.1, Win 8 is WDDM 1.2. Technically a Win 7 driver should install in Win 8 and work just fine, but it probably fails due to stupid checks in the installer, much like how many Firefox addons don't work in new versions.
post #132 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

This was mentioned elsewhere:

For those wanting the Start button back, there is a 3rd party freeware program called ViStart which works. tutorial for installing it is here: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-g...-in-windows-8/

My only complaint is that the orb spills over a few pixels into the main window and it's using 6mb of memory but for now I'm going to keep it as it's very convenient.
post #133 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

That is because 8 is just a new interface on top of 7.

I knew that. But obviously nVidia has the inititive to re-pack drivers to be able to install on Win8 right now. Intel didn't.
post #134 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I knew that. But obviously nVidia has the inititive to re-pack drivers to be able to install on Win8 right now. Intel didn't.

Nvidia constantly updates their drivers, and has nothing to do with Windows 8 going to Beta. Intel tends to not update until a new chipset comes out, and currently they are using the same chipset pretty much, that has been out since Vista came out. The drivers for Intel that are for 7, will work with 8. Vista drivers also work with 7, so they should also work with 8.

If you look at how Microsoft is doing things, Vista was a new OS, 7 is a service pack of Vista, 8 is a Service pack of 7. Right now, Microsoft is sliding backwards, not forwards, and their introduction of 8, means that they are trying to go more towards the connected home. That means with Kinnect for the PC, 8 is supposed to integrate with it, touchscreens, mobile, xbox platform.

Personally, I do not see any sense in moving up to Windows 8, so I am sticking with 7, until the computer that I have it running on dies, then moving over to a Mac Platform at that time, and sticking with Linux for my netbook.
post #135 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nvidia constantly updates their drivers, and has nothing to do with Windows 8 going to Beta. Intel tends to not update until a new chipset comes out, and currently they are using the same chipset pretty much, that has been out since Vista came out. The drivers for Intel that are for 7, will work with 8. Vista drivers also work with 7, so they should also work with 8.

Did you read the posts before you try to lecture us? rjsimmons already said that he tried to install the latest Intel driver and it refuses to do so on Win8. Unlike Intel, nVidia took the time to make sure its driver actually installs on Win8 (and you have the OS choice of Win8 Consumer Preview on nVidia driver download site).
post #136 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Did you read the posts before you try to lecture us? rjsimmons already said that he tried to install the latest Intel driver and it refuses to do so on Win8. Unlike Intel, nVidia took the time to make sure its driver actually installs on Win8 (and you have the OS choice of Win8 Consumer Preview on nVidia driver download site).

Lecture no. Read through all of the posts, no need, since the majority are just repeating the same thing. I have been following 8 since it was put on the drawing board, and through the initial information that Microsoft released. In my opinion, it is a true back step off of a cliff for Microsoft. I have been around computers since the Apple II came out, which was 35 years ago, so I know a little about knowing when to spot a good and bad operating system. Windows 8 is up there in my book with Dos 4.x, Windows 1 & 2, and Windows ME.

They are going to find that there is not enough consumer adoption with the new desktop interface for Windows 7, which is what 8 is.
post #137 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Lecture no. Read through all of the posts, no need, since the majority are just repeating the same thing. I have been following 8 since it was put on the drawing board, and through the initial information that Microsoft released. In my opinion, it is a true back step off of a cliff for Microsoft. I have been around computers since the Apple II came out, which was 35 years ago, so I know a little about knowing when to spot a good and bad operating system. Windows 8 is up there in my book with Dos 4.x, Windows 1 & 2, and Windows ME.

They are going to find that there is not enough consumer adoption with the new desktop interface for Windows 7, which is what 8 is.

Its more efficient under the hood, which has been well documented. The integration of apps into the desktop is compelling to users like myself. WindowsToGo is super compelling. I think its more compelling than the difference from Vista to XP.
post #138 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 02:11 PM

It may be more "compelling" for the enthusiast like yourself, but those of us that use it every day for office and programming, it is a step backwards. If I want eye candy, I will buy a xbox to play games with.
post #139 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like you, I have been around since Trash 80. Old timers don't like change. Tha's a given

But I have to disagree with your opionion about Win8. Yes, the new interface takes a lot to ge used to and don't give consumers much in return at this stage. But we haven't seen the final products yet. The develop preview released last year was much worse with little to no applications.

After digging into it for a day or two. I certainly like it for the most part. It brings a lot of much needed stuff that is very common on mobile market (sync emails, calendar and contacts) to the desktop OS without the need for the extremely slow and buggy Outlook.

It will take a lot effort for Microsoft to convence mass that this new OS and metro UI is a worthy upgrade. But honestly, Microsoft has no choice. Win7 is not that much different than Win95. The Windows eco system has stagernated for a very long time. That's why PC market share and shipment is seeing a steady decline in past two years. Innovate or die.

Eye canndy is still needed in order to survive. That's why iOS devices, nothing new was ever invented there, getting so popular. And Linux, a very versatle and robust OS, never gained a foot hold in the market.

It is a begining of a new era I hope. Just like Win95, it still have two faces: desktop apps and metro apps (for win95, 16-bit apps and 32-bit apps). Sooner or later I'd like to see the desktop (and the stupid Start button, yes I said it) to completely disappear. But that will probably be Win9 or 10. Just like today you rarely need to open a DOS prompt to launch the app.

It's too early to write Win8 off. There is enough new innovations in it (like Storage Space, Metro Apps) to keep it going.
post #140 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Storage space has been around since Microsoft redesigned live.com to become Skydrive. It is just that now they are integrating it with the Operating System, vs just being a application. As for Outlook, never had any problems with it. Older versions of it were buggy, but 2k7 & 2k10 have not. 2k3 had its quirks, but were always easy to get around them.

Yes, it will take a lot to get consumers to move to 8, but I really do not see it happening, and it being a failure as a whole in its test, to see if this will keep MS afloat.
post #141 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

to see if this will keep MS afloat.

They are not in any danger of sinking anytime soon

"Microsoft Corp.... announced record fourth-quarter revenue of $17.37 billion for the quarter ended June 30, 2011, an 8% increase from the same period of the prior year..... For the fiscal year ended June 30, 2011, Microsoft reported record revenue of $69.94 billion, a 12% increase from the prior year."

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #142 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

They are not in any danger of sinking anytime soon

"Microsoft Corp.... announced record fourth-quarter revenue of $17.37 billion for the quarter ended June 30, 2011, an 8% increase from the same period of the prior year..... For the fiscal year ended June 30, 2011, Microsoft reported record revenue of $69.94 billion, a 12% increase from the prior year."

I guess your right..

For 99% of the corporations out there they would love to have Microsoft level sales of just one quarter spread out of a span of years...

It's really a stupid amount of money when you think about it. 69.94 Billion dollars.

That's just a crazy amount of money.

The American system (the more widely used one) has 1 billion equal to a thousand million or 1,000,000,000

So when you figure out how many millions that is... it starts to hurt your brain.

If I am understanding this correctly... then with 69.94 billion dollars you could begin handing out to strangers on the street 1 million dollars per person... and it would take you 69,940 people before you ran out of money.

My town population is less than half that.

That is enough people to fill a very large football stadium to capacity.

Yet some people think Microsoft is hurting or doomed. What makes people think such silly things?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #143 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing I think is beneficial to HTPC users is finally Windows has created a reasonable dual screen interface. The taskbar is now on both monitors.
post #144 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Also, for anyone interested in testing W8, here is a great article on how to set up a dual boot:

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index....with-windows-7

Thanks.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #145 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Storage space has been around since Microsoft redesigned live.com to become Skydrive. It is just that now they are integrating it with the Operating System, vs just being a application.

You are mistaken it. Storage space has nothing to do with Skydrive. Do a search. There is a thread here discuss this recently.

Quote:

As for Outlook, never had any problems with it. Older versions of it were buggy, but 2k7 & 2k10 have not. 2k3 had its quirks, but were always easy to get around them.

Outlook is very problematic when used at home envrionment that is not connected to an Exchange server. I've used all the versions of it. It still crash or lock up when leave it running in the background.

Yes, it is mostly problem free when used in work place where it connects to exchange server only.
post #146 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

One thing I think is beneficial to HTPC users is finally Windows has created a reasonable dual screen interface. The taskbar is now on both monitors.

Ironically, the taskbar is one of the thing that Microsoft hope to move away from in new Metro UI. And even more ironically, Metro UI only works on primary monitor. There is no way to utilize second monitor to extend the metro UI.

Since there is no more start button, the usage of a taskbar is very little (other than switching desktop apps)
post #147 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:

You are mistaken it. Storage space has nothing to do with Skydrive. Do a search. There is a thread here discuss this recently.

Skydrive is what they are using for it. They may change it by the time 8 comes out, but it will still be Skydrive.

Outlook is very problematic when used at home envrionment that is not connected to an Exchange server. I've used all the versions of it. It still crash or lock up when leave it running in the background.

Yes, it is mostly problem free when used in work place where it connects to exchange server only.[/quote]Never had problems with Outlook in a home environment. Outlook 2k10 yes it has inherent problems with exchange, which still after all this time, MS refuses to correct that problem with it, where it will just up and disconnect from Exchange.
post #148 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

That's just a crazy amount of money. . . then with 69.94 billion dollars you could begin handing out to strangers on the street...

on a global scale, every man, woman and child that exist on the planet would receive just shy of $10 each. Keep in mind, this is only 1 year of profits, not total assets.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #149 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Skydrive is what they are using for it. They may change it by the time 8 comes out, but it will still be Skydrive.

Please read it here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...fficiency.aspx
post #150 of 462 Old 03-03-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I guess your right..

For 99% of the corporations out there they would love to have Microsoft level sales of just one quarter spread out of a span of years...

It's really a stupid amount of money when you think about it. 69.94 Billion dollars.

That's just a crazy amount of money.

The American system (the more widely used one) has 1 billion equal to a thousand million or 1,000,000,000

So when you figure out how many millions that is... it starts to hurt your brain.

If I am understanding this correctly... then with 69.94 billion dollars you could begin handing out to strangers on the street 1 million dollars per person... and it would take you 69,940 people before you ran out of money.

My town population is less than half that.

That is enough people to fill a very large football stadium to capacity.

Yet some people think Microsoft is hurting or doomed. What makes people think such silly things?

It's not really about scale of the corporation. MS has peaked. It is going down hill recently (Desktop PC market shrinking and IE browser share shrinking even more. Mobile market is non-existence (1 to 2% of market share). You could say the same thing to Kodak back in the days. And look at where it ends today.

For what it is worth, large corporations are actually easier to go bankrupt. It's all about growth. No growth = death.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page