AVS Forum banner

Windows 8 Consumer Preview Thread

36K views 461 replies 119 participants last post by  Veeper 
#1 ·
Tomorrow, Feb. 29, is the release of Windows 8 Consumer Preview. I thought I'd start a thread to discuss what we find in W8CP.

I've got an old Dell GX280 with 4GB that I've put a new HD5450 card in that I intend to use for fooling around with the new OS.

Let the fun begin!

#4 ·
Here is my response to a rogue poster in another thread

Quote:
No one knows for sure until W8 comes out (even the consumer preview that will be happening soon may not be clear as there will most likely be parts missing).

My only interest in W8 is from the tablet standpoint. Otherwise W7 rocks for my PCs/HTPCs

Don't expect WMC to be in the consumer preview, so in that case it will probably be a non event for a lot of us here.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21709070

My Win7 machines do everything I need them to do and they do it well.

What's in Win8 that I absolutely need to have?

I appreciate what you're saying and felt the same until I got a closer view of W8 at CES in January. The Metro UI put me off when I first saw it but it's starting to grow on me. I like the simplicity of the icon-based app selector and the ability to provide some lightweight info in real-time on the icon (number of new email messages for example) is a nice touch.

But more importantly, I think where Microsoft is going with the W8 UI is smart because it was designed with smart phone and tablets in mind, so it will be possible to have a very similar if not identical UI across all hardware platforms that run W8 (desktops, ultrabooks, tablets, phones, etc.).

Like you, W7 has worked very well for me and I'm happy with it. However I do plan on finally catching up with the rest of the world and purchasing mobile products shortly after W8 is released (smart phone at minimum, probably a tablet too). From what I saw at CES W8 looked and worked well on mobile devices and though many in the tech media world have poo-pooed anything Windows phone to date, their critique may not be as relevant for W8. Throw in what I suspect will be tight Skype integration and Microsoft MAY have a competitive solution.

As for W8 and WMC, no one from Microsoft could-or would-tell me anything about it and no example was shown. Rumor has it that it's not going to change much from the current version running on W7 but at minimum, I really think they need to add much needed codec support to the app. I'm currently running W7 and JRiver Media Center and this combination works very well though I still have to use WMC for my Ceton cable card TV tuners.

#9 ·
It'd be nice if this didn't turn into a b*tchfest of Windows 7 vs. Windows 8.

My intent was for those who do plan on downloading and running the Windows 8 CP to have a place to discuss it.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21709450

A 10 foot interface for the entire product would be a plus.

I should have-but did not-ask about this at CES but one would hope that the size of the icons could be adjusted, or set to auto-adjust in size relative to the number of icons. Meaning the fewer the number of icons, the larger each one can be on the desktop (and by extension the display). Of course the size of text and controls within a app would be a separate issue.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion /forum/post/21709664

It'd be nice if this didn't turn into a b*tchfest of Windows 7 vs. Windows 8.

My intent was for those who do plan on downloading and running the Windows 8 CP to have a place to discuss it.

I saw that I was doing that... I'd love to have a 10 foot interface outside MCE and it looks like the network storage may be more streamlined too.

It'll be a bit after the full consumer release that I'll give it a whirl depending on if the improvements suit my needs.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett /forum/post/21709700

I should have-but did not-ask about this at CES but one would hope that the size of the icons could be adjusted, or set to auto-adjust in size relative to the number of icons. Meaning the fewer the number of icons, the larger each one can be on the desktop (and by extension the display). Of course the size of text and controls within a app would be a separate issue.

Larger icons are one thing but readable text from the couch is a whole other thing!!

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett /forum/post/21709361

But more importantly, I think where Microsoft is going with the W8 UI is smart because it was designed with smart phone and tablets in mind, so it will be possible to have a very similar if not identical UI across all hardware platforms that run W8 (desktops, ultrabooks, tablets, phones, etc.).

This is one of the reasons I am excited about Windows 8 -- I have a WP7 phone with the Metro UI and I love it. I especially like the live tiles and how everything is textual -- no guessing what's behind the image. If I can get the same experience on my desktop, phone 10' UI, tablet, etc. I am going to be very happy. WAF will also be VERY high.

The thing I'd like to see most with the new UI (I realize this is not going to be in the W8CP but I hope for "someday") is WMC broken out into tiles for each app within WMC (Music, Movies, LiveTV, etc.) and control of the UI via Remote Control -- at least to move across tiles with the arrow keys and using the ok button to launch one. It will certainly be a whole lot easier to integrate "add-ins" for WMC functionality into the Metro UI than it has been into WMC7. It just unifies everything.

Is there any more kool-aid?

#15 ·
I was REALLY HOPING that the consumer preview would have some form of media center on it, even if it was the same as the last one. But from all the rumors, it looks like it won't be included until the final release. But who knows, we might get a surprise tomorrow.

I have a three month old HTPC that I have been milking the Windows 7 trial period to try to wait until the consumer preview came out. The hope was that I would not have to buy the OS just yet and use the consumer preview. But without media center in the consumer preview, I will just go out and buy a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium OEM this weekend.

#16 ·
Touch-screen interface in an HTPC?

I've always bitched at people when their greasy paws get too close to my monitor..

But for the mobile market it is a necessity. I think MS is trying to integrate the PC with the tablet in this release as in same OS for either or both.

I guess more people will be going with touch-screens but I use my PC for work, bookkeeping and preparing files for watching. I use the HTPC for theater and music playback. I suppose for kids and gaming/learning apps a touch-screen would be good.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlaw /forum/post/21709763

I was REALLY HOPING that the consumer preview would have some form of media center on it, even if it was the same as the last one. But from all the rumors, it looks like it won't be included until the final release. But who knows, we might get a surprise tomorrow.

I have a three month old HTPC that I have been milking the Windows 7 trial period to try to wait until the consumer preview came out. The hope was that I would not have to buy the OS just yet and use the consumer preview. But without media center in the consumer preview, I will just go out and buy a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium OEM this weekend.

My understanding as of now WMC will be in the final W8 release but it will be nothing more then the same as in W7. Of course we can all hope there will be upgrades, but doesn't look like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21709768

Touch-screen interface in an HTPC?

I've always bitched at people when their greasy paws get too close to my monitor..

But for the mobile market it is a necessity. I think MS is trying to integrate the PC with the tablet in this release as in same OS for either or both.

I guess more people will be going with touch-screens but I use my PC for work, bookkeeping and preparing files for watching. I use the HTPC for theater and music playback. I suppose for kids and gaming/learning apps a touch-screen would be good.

For an HTPC I definitely wouldn't want a touch screen. For an all in one PC a touch screen works great for kids (as it does with my two boys currently, they don't even realize you need a mouse to operate a PC!)

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion /forum/post/21709793

I guess we'll see if it's in there or not. There were earlier rumors it was not but now there are indications that it is:
http://www.winrumors.com/windows-med...in-build-8141/

That is an article from Oct 2011. From direct sources at last I heard it would not be included (as of last week). Of course I hope to be proven wrong (wouldn't be the first time lol)

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/21709821

That is an article from Oct 2011. From direct sources at last I heard it would not be included (as of last week). Of course I hope to be proven wrong (wouldn't be the first time lol)

Yeah, this is much more up to date and vague on it

http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/20...nsumer-preview

#21 ·
For me, while even having the same MC integration as Win7 in 8 would be something (just glad MS aren't dropping it!), I think the possibilities for what could be done with 8MC are quite incredible;

A full tiled interface to Media Center using Metro. Each tile is live, one could be showing live TV, the other a guide, link to movies. Media Browser could have it's own tile, a weather tile, along with any other compatible MC plugins. Easy to extend, as you just keep scrolling.

Make sure it can be controlled with a standard REMOTE. I expect it will, but being able to navigate 8MC/metro with a remote control from your chair would be great.

Support Kinect navigation with 8MC gesture control. While not everyone will make use of this, it's got a lot of possibilities.

Obviously include the ability for 8MC to act as an extender (we can dream!)

There's lots more, but this is a start. I just have a feeling 8MC is going to be hidden away in there, and function just the same as 7MC. What would be good is for MS to develop 8MC as a app/plugin, and really go to town on it. I'd pay for that.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion /forum/post/21709860

Yeah, this is much more up to date and vague on it

http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/20...nsumer-preview

Thanks, that is in line with what I have been hearing (most likely wont be in the consumer preview and will be essentially identical to that in W7). Trust me, I wish I had more info but many of the other MVPs feel the same way right now.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/21710153

My mom wants this. We tend to misplace the remote a lot.

Its usually right there in the couch cushions along with the candy wrappers, popcorn crumbs and tarnished coins.

#26 ·
These are features that make Win 8 a must have upgrade, even if you don't care about the Metro UI.

- sign in using Live ID

- syncing user settings across pc's

- much improved security (MSE included)

- built in pdf viewer

- faster startup and shutdown

- faster and uses less memory

- USB 3.0 support

- much better explorer, file copy

This is enough to make me switch. And since the Consumer Preview only expires in Jan 2013, you basically have a free 1 year license. Of course in addition there will be many apps in the Windows store which will only get better.

HTPC apps like MediaBrowser, XBMC are a perfect candidate for Metro - single install, settings are preserved, large UI, and automatic upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.